Should big game hunting be banned for good?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image0
    TheBizWhizposted 8 years ago

Zimbabwe implemented a ban on big game hunting after the killing of Cecil the lion came to light. This ban had recently been lifted, but do you think it should be permanent? Do you think other countries should follow suit by banning trophy hunting?

1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think that it is a barbaric practice. With biodiversity decreasing around the planet,  it is as Mr. Spock said in film "Star Trek, the Return Home", "It is illogical to hunt a species to extinction".

The human family continues to demonstrate that it has a long way to go before it comes out of its infancy.

2. profile image0
    Jonas Rodrigoposted 8 years ago

Yes! It is an outdated practice that used to show a high position in society, nowadays it is also used in a similar manner but is more widely frowned down by different groups and individuals.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

In many areas banning the hunting will mean a lot of land goes from supporting wildlife to rejecting wildlife and being used for developments or farming.

So that would be a rather Pyrrhic victory.

1. profile image0
      TheBizWhizposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Development is the #1 killer of animals, not legal hunting. The reality is that if people can get more money developing their farmland versus leasing it for hunting, they will take what they can get.

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

If one does a minimum investment in research  one finds that   hunters , sports man , and fishermen  not only pay their way VERY WELL ,in fact when it comes to hunting  in American states ,    For instance , sportsmen [women ]  pay so much that  even  NON-game species would suffer tremendously  in   costs and  revenues without these fee's . Look it up !

Not only that but ,  In Pennsylvania for instance there is between a twenty  five  and thirty two percent  birthrate in  the deer population alone   PER  YEAR ,  which if un-hunted  would increase the herds  so much  each year alone  that  overpopulation  would equal  mass starvation in less than a couple of  few years , Given that the hunting kill rate alone is about the same percentage   AND That's fairly equal in number percentages all   across America ,   that means mass re-population  -per year .  Just saying !

My point is , you don't simply STOP hunting anywhere without major repercussions ,   and  as to tax revenues alone - might as well  look at a tax increase as well --to make up for revenue losses !

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

True.  We've eliminated all the natural predators almost everywhere (in the US); without man to prevent overpopulation starvation and disease is inevitable.

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The simplest and most  cost  AND revenue effective way to control over population in American states is hunting ,  The billions of dollars  raised  by fee's licenses  AND related sportsman's  game and non- game spending  is  in a class by itself .  Just saying .

No argument from me.  And while I've never understood trophy hunting, I did grow up on venison and elk.  Hunting provided a large majority of our meat.

1. Credence2 profile image79
            Credence2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I dunno if I am talking about a problem with hunting, I found it distasteful, but being a quiche eating liberal, I would.

I am talking about irresponsible hunting of endangered species and all of this trophy stuff, not for food or sustenance and beneficial population control.

Understood, just not sure how you limit trophy hunting without limiting all hunting.  And of course any endangered species should absolutely be halted completely.

I even have a little trouble limiting trophy (non-endangered) hunting.  I don't understand it, I don't get the thrill of killing, and never will.  Which makes it very easy to tell someone else they can't do it either - much like telling gays they can't marry because I don't have the feelings they do.

5. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

As a hunter and growing up in a  family based heritage of  hunting and fishing , truthfully I dislike trophy hunters  a lot .  I even  find distasteful those who  , what I call , overhunt .   But then  truly , a deficit of  ethics , morality and  a conscientious  in  attitude in America is pretty widespread .  Someone who can afford to  spend $  50,000 to go and kill a lion or  exotic animal  in Africa is outside of even my understanding .

How can ethics be a part of that decision !  I even write people that I believe over exploit  the  privileges  allowed  American sportsman ,  Razor Dobbs for one  , much like the  very vocal Ted Nugent ,  should be far more concerned with the image that they project .

Like in all  outdoor endeavors , there are the true sportsmen  and there are those who  drift easily towards the unethical ,  I will support  the family of  ethical , honest sportsmen and women forever . Well to do trophy hunters  however  , make me nauseous   !

1. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"...Well to do trophy hunters  however  , make me nauseous   ! "

What about `just-scraping-by` trophy hunters? Still nauseous?

GA

1. profile image0

GA Anderson , don't be one of those who cannot grasp that there is a difference , a big difference , between    rich trophy hunters  spending $50,000 a pop  !  I buy  $150.00  worth of licences a year for the chance to shoot a grouse   or three or possible a  whitetail deer  for meat .     That is the difference !   Maybe your outlook should be adjusted .

2. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I grew up with hunting and fishing as a way of life and a big part of our small communities economy. I trust that the majority of sportsmen and women are responsible with the legal limits to protect those natural renewable resources.

Let me tell you something though, game wardens do not go to bars if they have been doing their job.

1. profile image0

You see a game warden in a bar while on duty or even in uniform   , you should report it !

1. colorfulone profile image77
          colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Game wardens don't go to bars.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)