Has anyone tried the konmari method for tidying up?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 8 years ago

I read her book a few days ago and decided to give it a try on my clothes first.  Then kitchenwares.  She says it takes six months to complete.  I believe it since the kitchen took almost 10 hours.  Has anyone fully completed the process for their entire house?  Happy with the result?

After cleaning out the kitchen I feel like I got rid of too many things:)  Perhaps I should have done books second like she suggests.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image89
      Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm working on an adapted version.  I started with clothes, but I have done clothes before so there wasn't much that needed to go.  I then did the kitchen, just like you  I am now working on the bookshelves. I am attacking the VHS tapes - much easier than books since I have a huge book collection. Yes, I still have a player and do watch them from time to time.

Books actually will be harder for me to do, since I have so many and they are all over the house.so I am doing things that I am less attached to first.  I really like the idea of choosing what to keep instead of choosing what to discard.  You keep less stuff that way and make more space in your life.

I am also attacking the plants outside - reducing the number of weed beds, and turning them to lawn.    My plan is to make things as low-maintenance as possible.

2. Lori Worsencroft profile image60
    Lori Worsencroftposted 8 years ago

Hello! Yes, I did the Konmari method, and have loved the results! I started with my closet and learned the folding technique (YouTube videos helped), and have completed everything but photos/mementos.

It might feel like you got rid of too much, but as the days and weeks go on, you'll soon start finding even more you can get rid of and feel even better! Before you know it, you'll have only things you love and use the most. I have recommended her book to many friends and relatives. Especially those who have trouble letting things go. Good luck!

3. CorneliaMladenova profile image65
    CorneliaMladenovaposted 8 years ago

Have read the book but still not brave enough to try the method smile

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 8 years ago

I probably should give it a try since I am in the process of going through everything before I make a move to a smaller home.  When I read that you have to take all of your clothing out and start the process, I was already overwhelmed.  I honestly think I would have to modify the rules just a little in order to complete the process.  I like her folding method. 

Going through very old family photos and documents is also going to be hard for me. 

My problem is that I'll go through things and decide that I want to keep it for a garage sale and it doesn't materialize because I haven't gone through everything.  I used to move more often before kids came along, but now we've lived here for 25 years.  Stuff accumulates so easily through the years.  I have a new motto, less is more than enough.

Keep us posted, Paul.  I'm curious to hear how you proceed.  Are you going to have a garage sale when the process is complete?

1. Millionaire Tips profile image89
      Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The garage sale method really doesn't work for me.  You have to store the stuff until you are ready for the sale.  Then you have to clean everything and tag it.  Then bring it all out, setting up tables, etc. Then sit out there waiting for buyers,. May have to bring it back in and out again if having the sale for more than one day. And then still have to figure out what to do with the leftovers.  I found that it was too time consuming and made cleaning an even bigger project.  It also didn't yield much money even for the time spent processing the stuff.   I think I earned something like $1 per hour for all that hard work, and that doesn't even include the cost of the stuff.

Now I donate to charity, Freecycle, or recycle everything.  Someone else is getting use out of the things I no longer need.  Also, I've already gotten my money's worth of use out of the product.  If not, iI don't want a reminder anyway.  By keeping the getting rid of simple, it makes it much easier to get rid of things.

If there are resale shops that are conveniently located to where I live or work, like Half Price Books and Plato's Closet, I take things to them to see if there is any way I can get some money out of them.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I usually donate everything.  I'll probably end up doing the same.  Storing it in preparation for the sale creates more clutter and takes up a lot of space.  Some of it will go to antique shops for consignment, some will go to family, most will be donated. We have recent flood victims in the area that lost everything.  I've done one garage sale years ago and it was basically a waste of time.  It always feels good to give and know that it's appreciated.   We also have a used book store, that may be a consideration for some of the books.   Thanks for your reply!

5. prokidwriter profile image94
    prokidwriterposted 8 years ago

I've completed my closet and clothes drawers. I'm now working on my office. It is overwhelming. I think the hardest thing for me is paperwork. Much of it is necessary to keep, but none of it brings me joy! I'd be very interested in hearing updates on your progress as you work through your house!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)