When purchasing a domain name is there any value in adding on .org .us

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Solaras profile image94
    Solarasposted 8 years ago

When purchasing a dot com domain name is there any value in adding on .org .us or .net etc..? If so please explain what strategy you would us with the other extensions to promote the dot com. Trying to save a little money here, but I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.  Thank you!

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 8 years ago

If you want to build up a reputatable, branded, memorable website with the most traffic, always choose .com

If cost is an issue, check out namecheap - they're usually $10-12/year max.

You don't want to limit your traffic to one country and you don't want to confuse people with domains that are usually associated with a certain type of business (.org for organisation etc).

If you get to the point where people actually begin typing your site name into the URL bar, most will automatically type .com out of habit. And if someone else buys/owns the .com, THEY'LL get traffic when you should be.

3. profile image0
    willvanderbergposted 8 years ago

It depends. The .com domain name is by far the most important. If you found the perfect one and are looking to establish a business, I would get the .net and .org domain names as well. For the simple reason that if you don't (to save the $20 extra yearly expensive) you don't know who might end up with it and what their intentions are. Imagine someone establishes a website there that could severely hurt your brand if people mix the two domains up, or imagine if someone out-SEO's your website and IT becomes the dominant YourDomain! You don't want that kind of trouble if you can avoid it for just a few dollars extra each year.

On the other hand, if you are looking to launch a niche website and it is going to be hard to offset the costs as it is... maybe you could skip on purchasing the .net and .org. In fact, for those purposes I sometimes even buy a .net domain name if the .com is not available but is hosting a BS website. I'd feel confident I could out-SEO the .com.

As for .us domain names, ask yourself: have you ever visited a website yourself on a .us domain name? That's how important they are. Not at all. Skip those, there is not a chance that anyone would type YourDomain.us by accident.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Spot on, willvanderberg

4. Solaras profile image94

Thank you all for your thoughts!

5. Solaras profile image94

So, now that I have secured the other domains, dot org etc..., is there any value in putting content on them, or am I just holding these domains to prevent evil doers from conspiring to destroy my beautiful website?

Once I migrate my current site to the new domain, I will be attaching my blog to it. I have limited time to give to writing new content, but if there is value in putting something on those other extensions then I will make the time to do so.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No value. Most people redirect.

+1

2. profile image0
        willvanderbergposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+2 smile

6. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 8 years ago

If you aren't thinking about developing a network (.net) or an organisation (.org) but are concerned about others potentially developing similar or undermining your branding then sure, depending on the domain name, secure those TLDs and manually set redirects ( & a promo) to your primary (.com) on those parked domains with your host/registrar. Don't solely rely on search engine redirects.
    Personally I believe that the next best TLD (Top Level Domain) after .com has to be .xyz - which in itself suggests robust content across the whole spectrum of the chosen brand.
    .XYZ is a relatively new extension that maintains a 'trading' value at least equal to .net & .org - it pretty much says it all, which is more than likely the reason Google recently launched Alphabet. xyz along with ABC .xyz
    Whatever you develop make sure that your site is Responsive (automatically adjusting site content & images to the size and browser of the viewing platform whether mobile, tablet, laptop or pc).
    Always remember that content is king, so to that end always ensure that you maintain a regime of posting new, original material throughout the life of your site, after all that along with commonsense seo tactics is what drives traffic. Good luck and enjoy smile

Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I had never heard of .xyz; thanks for that new bit of information!

7. Dale Hyde profile image80
    Dale Hydeposted 8 years ago

What I have found is that your domain name is not that important at our level.

My blog is dalehyde.org...my name and the ".org". 

This is what I chose because it was cheaper than the .com.  Many people buy up .com in order to sell it to you at a high price.

I also have another .org site, but don't want to upset the HP gods and goddesses by publishing it here, lol.

It does not matter what your "." is.  It is what you have on that domain that brings you views and brings you up on searches.

Dale, I have to disagree with you.   The suffix DOES matter!   In your case, though, you picked one of the suffixes that does get respect from Google - .net and .org are both good choices.  If you had picked a .info, you would have had a completely different experience!

8. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 8 years ago

I have no interest in buying the other domain extensions. Do you know why? Because you'll never stop.

A couple of years ago an Australian blogger went and registered a stack of domains similar to competitors (adding "the" or "s" or other things to the name).

Unless you want to buy every single variation (and there are now hundreds of suffixes), all the country specific domains, plus all the variations that include stopwords (such as 'the' or 'a'), then it's going to be a losing battle. If someone wants to copy you, they will. If you want to brand yourself, the .COM still rules. Is it REALLY likely that another person/group will come along and an identical site on a .NET or .ORG that directly competes for your keywords?

I am curious about the.xyz and if Google is planning something big for it. I was considering buying a domain thst is currently selling as a high value ($10K) .com under the .xyz for a blog ($6.99).  What does anyone think of this idea?

Personally I think not.  There was a lot of noise about the .xyz suffix selling much better than the others, but apparently it was just because of one big purchase which distorted the figures.

http://www.inc.com/peter-roesler/will-n … -2015.html

So are you starting another new blog?   You do know that the right place to put your existing blog is on a sub-domain of your Volusion shop, so it doesn't need another domain name?

Right, as soon as I have the site on the new domain, I am attaching the blog to it!

2. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the lowered SEO value of subdomains? From what I've heard they have less value than a main domain?

Right now my blog is hosted at blogspot, so does it make a difference to move it to a subdomain on my website.  Do you see a negative or positive outcome from the move or is it a neutral shift for traffic.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

It depends what you're using it for.

In Solaras' case, her main goal is to have a successful business (her online shop). By nature, the online shop itself has very little content other than products.  Her biggest priority is to boost the content on the site to improve its authority - the best way to do that is to add a blog.  Technically, the only way to do that is on a sub-domain. 

Because the main site and sub-domain are both on the same subject and by the same author, Google will regard it as one entity.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)