Heads up on Google Adsense Site Settings with HP Restructuring

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (28 posts)
  1. EdTecher profile image87
    EdTecherposted 8 years ago

If you have an Adsense Affiliate account linked to your Hubpages domain, check your site authorizations in Adsense.  I received an alert today:

"In the past 7 days, your ad code has appeared a significant number of times on websites you haven't authorized. To avoid lost revenue, make sure to authorize any sites you own to display ads by visiting your account settings."

Look under Settings > Access and authorization > Site authorization.   This applies if you have the box at the top checked to "Only allow certain sites to show ads for my account Authorized sites" 

I had my HP subdomain listed, e.g., myhpname.hubpages.com.  Since subdomains are going away, I've had to add the main domain, hubpages.com, to my list of authorized sites.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

When I checked mine, the only thing I could put in was hubpages.com.  Is this correct?  I tried to put hubpages.com/@timetraveler2 but was told that I could not add a path.  Now I'm concerned that I won't get adsense payouts.  Help please!

EdTecherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, hubpages.com is correct.  You will get adsense payouts.  Check your Top Sites > View Sites.  You should see impressions and page views for hubpages.com.  That will indicate it's set up correctly.

Thanks...now here's another question.  I have two sites here.  Will the payouts be combined since there no longer are subdomains and all we can show is hubpages.com?

Yes.

2. I Am Rosa profile image83
      I Am Rosaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the info in this thread.  Apparently, I've had it set up wrong all this time. No wonder I wasn't receiving any money from my Adsense account!!

... I can collect from Google Adsense and HP ... right?  It's not one or the other, is it?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you have HP Ads switched on, you still earn from Adsense - but in practice, you will earn practically nothing from Adsense, because there will be only ONE Adsense ad on each of your Hubs, and that's right at the bottom where most readers won't see it. 

If you switch off HP Ads, more Adsense ads will appear on your Hubs so you will earn more from Adsense - however, most people find they earn a higher income from having HP Ads switched on.

Thanks, Marisa, for clarifying how this split works in practice.  Even after reading all the available HP info on the ad program, I was still a bit befuddled by the split policy.

2. I Am Rosa profile image83
          I Am Rosaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Marisa!

2. viryabo profile image94
    viryaboposted 8 years ago

I noticed same too.
    Added the new to authorised sites. 
    What I'm unsure of is how to differentiate between my HP accounts (re authorisation) on my Adsense Affiliate Account.

Not sure I understand your question.  If you're asking how to differentiate sites by the income their produce, that appears on the the home page of the adsense afffiliate account, on the right side below RPM, under the heading of Top Sites.

Mine now shows 0 income from myhpname.hubpages.com account, and a few pennies from hubpages.com.  So I know it's set up correctly.

You can click on View Sites in the Top Sites box to get a more detailed breakdown.

1. viryabo profile image94
        viryaboposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

For instance, I have 3 HP accounts. With these 3, I had 3 authorised sites viryabo.hubpages.com and the two others.

Now with the switch back from subdomains, they are now lumped together as hubpages.com

How do I know which of my 3 subdomains earns what now?

Now I understand your dilemma.  Unfortunately, I don't see an easy resolution, unless your traffic warrants you creating a separate adsense account for each HP account.

If all sites are lumped together under hubpages.com, wouldn't it make sense that the payouts from adsense would be lumped together also?  Otherwise, I see no way for extra sites to receive payment.  If not, can other sites be moved over to the main site using the 301?

All 3 of your subdomains will receive payment lumped together under hubpages.com.  So from a income perspective, you're fine.  If you want to track how much income per HP account you're getting, that's where you lose visibility in the future.

That's good news.  I wish they would do the same with the HP payouts, too.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Sorry?  Are you sure?  If I understand it correctly, if you have 3 sub-domains then they're each registered under a separate email address so there is no reason why payments from HubPages would  be consolidated.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
                  Glenn Stokposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Marisa is correct. I read somewhere that if one has more than one account, the revenue needs to reach $50 for each individually for payment to be made. They are not combined.

That is for your HP account.  I just  checked my Adsense account and the whole thing is under only one domain...hubpages.com, therefore the Adsense earnngs should be compiled and paid as if they were for one domain.

HP accounts right now do have to reach $50 each for payout the way it stands now, but it would be nice if they would consolidate in the same way that Adsense does.  If every article we write falls under the HP umbrella, regardless of location, then why pay separately for them?

The only other choice is to move all accounts over to the main one.  Why would this not be possible to do with a 301 redirect?

3. EdTecher profile image87

I only have one HP account and (formerly) subdomain, so I'm not speaking from experience. However, it stands to reason that if you're using the same Google Adsense Affiliate Code for more than one HP account, all the earnings would accumulate under the same Adsense account. 

Hopefully, someone with experience in multiple HP accounts can clarify this.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
                  Glenn Stokposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What you said is correct, but only if you use Google AdSense without the HP Ad Program. If you sign up for the HP Ad Program then you need to accumulate $50 per account because you are getting paid from HP and not direct from Google.  I don't have multiple accounts, but I know how the HP Ad Program works.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Yes you're right, but that's only for Adsense.   If you're signed up for the HP Earnings Program (which most Hubbers are, since most people find it pays better) then each sub-domain is currently paid separately and I doubt that will change.

1. WryLilt profile image88
                    WryLiltposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My 2 cents from someone with about 5 accounts from memory:

-Adsense is consolidated into one payment each month from all accounts (and any other websites you write on or own).

-Hubpages ad program earnings are based on each individual account. I have two accounts which individually hit payout each month, then others which make $2-5/month and I'm not expecting a payout from more than once a year!

2. viryabo profile image94
            viryaboposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.
            I wait to see if HP will let us know how to sort this as we can only have one Adsense account.

3. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 8 years ago

I already had both in my Adsense authorizations. I had to authorize hubpages.com a long time ago so that I would receive revenue from my EC hubs. But now I can remove the subdomain authorization. Thanks for mentioning this.

1. sallybea profile image96
      sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Glenn,
      Why would you not have received revenue from the EC Hubs?  I was not aware that one did not.
      Also could you please explain whether or not the box this should be ticked on Google Adsense where it says.  ( Sites authorized to show ads   
      Only allow certain sites to show ads for my account)  I have my own site which is currently showing Ads because I have added the code for Ads to my site's pages but,  I have never ticked this box or added the site here.  Wish I understood this stuff better Sigh! 
      I am still showing me@hubpages should this property be deleted? in favor of the hubpages one now?  I do seem to recall that previously it said that I did not own this property!

2. flycatcherrr profile image68
      flycatcherrrposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sorry if this is a dullard's question, but... is it necessary and/or desirable to remove the subdomain auths? 
      What, if any, are the implications of simply leaving the sub auths in place and adding the main hubpages.com one to the list of authorized sites?

That's what I've done - left the subdomain listed.  Adsense won't show any income from the subdomain in the future, but that shouldn't make a difference.  And if HP decides they've made a horrible, awful mistake with the restructuring and go back to subdomains, then no need to play with adsense smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)