Anyone in law enforcement? or anyone that knows about trespassing?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (90 posts)
  1. profile image0
    annvansposted 14 years ago

Does anyone know what can be done about trespassing?  I have called department of natural resources and the county cannot do anything since it is a wooded area.  Natural resources is going to help, but have been booked up.  I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions.

1. Pamda Man profile image58
      Pamda Manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you talking about a forest or your property???

1. profile image0
        annvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Private property with wooded areas

If it's your property, just lay a sign out there and say no trespassing. Given that it IS your property.

1. profile image0

People tear them down and rip up survey markers

Then that would be the crime of 'harming other people's belongings' (I don't know what it's called over there) lol

1. profile image0

The sheriffs dept says they need to know who it is in order to do anything about it.  We cannot find out.  I am sure they will not give their name to us.

Why is the US so dark and gloomy? You could get killed without knowing who did it.... You could even get killed by coming to school....

1. profile image0

I do not know that answer, but I do think if I help pay for taxes for law enforcement, that someone would help.

2. Ladybird33 profile image68
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

Did you research online?  I am married to a police officer and I will ask him (when he gets home) but most police websites has this info, I believe.  Sorry, I know I am not much help but will try.

1. profile image0

We have to deal with the county, not the city.  The county cannot go down in the woods they say.

3. profile image0

I have researched a lot, nothing yet.

4. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Shoot them.

1. profile image0

lol, misha you are funny.  Sad thing is that we pay taxes and no one can do anything.

2. onthewriteside profile image60
      onthewritesideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol  yea that's what I say...shoot the bastards!

5. Ladybird33 profile image68
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

Stupid question, contact animal control...just a thought, far fetched, I know but you never know smile

1. profile image0

Animal control?  were you kiddn?

1. candice5 profile image58
        candice5posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know of someone that had some very professional signs placed saying that dangerous poisons had been placed in the area, (Where poaching in their case had occurred) stating that poisons had been laid, and traps set, they sprayed some purple paint around a few places.
        No one went near it.

1. profile image0

Thats funny, that probably wouldn't work with these people since I am sure they trespass on other property too and people have probably tried that kind of stuff with them.  It may be a last resort though, thanks!

6. profile image0

lol

7. onthewriteside profile image60
    onthewritesideposted 14 years ago

Seriously Annvans....if you live in the states, load your shotgun up with something like salt pellets, (something farmers have been doing for decades here in Ohio), and shoot them!  They won't come back...

1. profile image0

More like we will be put in jail for doing that.

1. onthewriteside profile image60

I'm not talking about killing them,....just load em up with some salt pellets that hurt like a biotch!  I got shot by a farmer back in the '70's because we were on his property "cow-tipping", and I considered it fair-game.  If I'm messing with his live-stock, then I deserved what I got...and that was a rear thigh full of salt that hurt like a mother f' er!!!

1. profile image0

Yeah I wish I could, but they will call the cops on us for doing it probably.  They are kids and we would get in trouble I am sure.

2. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Even if you shoot them to death ON YOUR PROPERTY you won't go to jail. But I am not suggesting you shoot them to death, do as ontheotherside tells. And stop counting on your taxes, take your fate in your own hands. smile

1. profile image0

Yes we would go to jail if we shot them on our own property.

1. Misha profile image62
            Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Keep having irrational fears then. Nothing I can help with.

2. Pamda Man profile image58

No you won't. The stupid defense law prevents (or should I say promote) all that.

1. profile image0

We cannot shoot for trespassing.  Maybe if they were aiming a gun at us and it was self defense.  I do not wanna shoot anyone, just stop them.

No, you shoot them because they trespass and they looked as if they want to kill you.

1. profile image0

Pamda Man wrote:

Why you can have 5 quotes?

8. profile image0

We have called the police on them tons of times, but they still return.  They must think they own the property.  What I would like to know is why are there trespassing laws and no one will enforce them.

Simple. Because USA is the biggest fail in the world.

9. profile image0

We have thought of all kinds of things we could do, but we do not wanna pop their tires or anything.  We are going to prosecute if we can find out who they are and where they live.  I thought that was law enforcements work.

Unfortunately, all county cops are fail in USA. Lazy, the kind you see wandering in SuperStore, reading magazines, awaiting for their next pay day....

10. blue dog profile image60
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

it's unfortunate they tear down your signs.  have you considered some sort of camera placed near the signs? another idea might be a decoy camera.  they'd probably tear that down as well.  sounds like a tough situation. as far as law enforcement helping, your problem isn't high on their list.  they would respond, however, if you did indeed shot the trespassers.  oh yeah, they'd be all over it then.

1. profile image0

Yes, and that is exactly what they would do.  How can running a stop sign or having a backup light out be more important than people who are disturbing the peace, tearing up property and trespassing?

11. profile image0

I feel that way when no one will help us.

12. profile image0

Maybe we could get a huge sling shot and slap em with a water balloon? lol.  They would come right back.

13. profile image0

If I wasn't allergic to bees, I would have a beefarm down there.

14. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

A good electric fence used for cattle will put out several thousand volts of low amp charge.  Hurts like hell but nothing dangerous.  It's easy to conceal and the charger can be placed far away from the area.

Around here it's illegal to merely tear the signs down.  But then, no one trespasses much here.  Not more than once anyway.

1. profile image0

It has cost us plenty of money that they tore up the survey markers and tore down signs.  I hope the game warden can help if they ever get down here again.

2. profile image0

What area you live in?

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

South Georgia.

1. profile image0

What county?

South Georgia.               Just kidding, USA.

1. profile image0

No, what county, not country

annvans wrote:

No, what county, not country[/quote

Cook

15. profile image0

lol, I do not wanna shoot no one.

16. onthewriteside profile image60
    onthewritesideposted 14 years ago

Well all I can tell you is that I got shot by a farmer for trespassing on his land as a "young and dumb" teenager, and I was happy that the cops didn't show up 'cause I didn't want my parents to know what I was doing on this guy's property....

1. profile image0

These people cannot be caught by us.  They can hear when we start up the 4 wheel drive to go down there and they are gone.  The cops wont go way down there, they will only come to the house, so no one can go down there and arrest them.

Well then go down there one night and wait for em...I'm tellin ya that if you hit one of them with some salt buck shot, they won't come back.  it's not fatal, but it hurts like a mother f'er....trust me.  And if they try to sue, they will have to explain why they were there in the first place...

1. profile image0

lol

17. Pamda Man profile image58
    Pamda Manposted 14 years ago

All the post are hidden under the grey colour.

1. profile image0

I know I screwed up something.  I don't know what I did. tongue

18. profile image0

Yeah, you aren't close to us.  There is a huge problem with trespassing in georgia.

Have you tried confronting these people?

1. profile image0

They run. or should I say drive away.

So did we when I was a kid.  We almost got a thrill out of being chased.  But I tell you what...once you have some salt shot into your leg, you DON'T come back....

Yes, this does hurt, but it's possible to hit someone in the eyes with the rock salt.

Naaaaa....you get em while they are running away...believe me, they won't come back, and they will tell all their friends.  Now their friends may come to test you, but a couple of warning shots will be all it takes.  Now I understand that this is taking place a ways from from your home, so it would be a pain in the azz to be down there all the time.  But if the cops aren't doing anything about it, then what other choice do you have?

1. profile image0

I don't know.  We could sell the land to some people who would deal with them I guess.  lol.  I mean, there are people doing all kinds of stuff.  They build fires, drink, ride atv's, drive trucks, all kinds of things down there.

Well are they really doing any damage to your property?  Or do you just not want them there?  I mean I understand that it is your land and they shouldn't be partying there, but what really is the issue?  If you really want em gone, then I would sit "in waiting" like this farmer did to us and burn the shite out of their calves!

1. profile image0

They have torn down signs and they build fires and throw trash etc... they do not hurt us, but they like to trespass and build fires when the weather is hot like now.  If it catches on fire here, it will burn us down.

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

Spike strips do major damage to ATV and other vehicle tires.  They can be moved to different spots and concealed easily.  Tires are expensive.

1. profile image0

Where ya get those and are they legal for us to use?

You can make them if you are a hands on person.  Tehy are merely spikes nailed through thin planks.  Cover them lightly with dirt or leaves.  Legal?  Don't know about use on private property but they do use something similar to keep people from backing out of pay parking lots in some places.  Besides, if the cops won't stop the trespassers they probably won't bother you either.

1. profile image0

I could ask the guy about those when he comes back.  He may put them down there for us.  I know he would rather them come on down there so he can give them huge tickets.  If they weren't busy so much, he could be writing tickets and they wouldn't be back.  All it will take is a few tickets.

2. onthewriteside profile image60

Perfectly legal on your own property, and it will certainly catch the first victims by surprise...and it will cost em.  I don't think they are cheap though, and these guys can just rip em up and take them to do their own damage somewhere else.  I still think rock salt in the back of the calf is the answer... lol

19. profile image0

Thanks for the suggestions.  I hope something will work soon.

20. rastrother profile image39
    rastrotherposted 14 years ago

i am in law enforcement so i can help you out but first i need to know what state you live in?

1. profile image0

We live in georgia.

1. rastrother profile image39
        rastrotherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

o ok i seen it said south on your profile so i was hoping texas cuz thats were im a police officer at. well georgia is differnt than texas but maybe this will still help you. in texas when someone reports tresspassing to us the first thing we tell people is to keep their no tresspassing signs up. let me just write you exactly how the law reads.

a person commits an offense if he enters or remains on or in property, including an aircraft or other vehicle, of another without effective consent or he enters or remains in a building of another without effective consent and he:
        1. had notice that entry was forbidden (your no tresspassing sign)

2. received notice to depart but failed to do so.

so it sounds like you have a case there but you know georgia wont be the same as texas. but probably somewhat close. if the county wont help go over there head and try the d.a's office. they will tell you whats legal and whats not. also asherkade may be on in a little bit he's a police officer to.

1. profile image0

The problem there is that these people keep tearing the signs down and taking them.  We put up tons of them and they just keep tearing them down.

21. profile image0

The county enforcement wont go down in the woods since they do not have the vehicle to go down there I guess.  I do not know for sure why, but they wont.  They want us to know who is trespassing and where they live in order to do anything about it. I would appreciate you checking around if you can find anymore info.

You might try the game warden.  He will go places ordinary police cannot.

1. profile image0

We have, we are signed up with them now to patrol, but they are too busy.

22. rastrother profile image39

it does not matter if they tear them down, in fact its probably even better if they are in possession of them when they are caught. i tell you what you do short of taking matters into your own hands. the next time you catch them on your property call the police and follow them with a vehicle if you can and let the cops know where you are at so they can catch up to the tresspasser's. once they catch them they will handle it from there. just make sure you tell them you want to press charges for them being on your property.

1. profile image0

We cannot follow them.  They wont stop and some are on atv's.  They will get away from us.  I guess that is why cops don't bother going down there.  There is no way they will be caught unless someone blocks off the atv trails so they cannot get out.  Meaning, the police will have to be right there when they come around the corner or they will not be caught.

1. rastrother profile image39
        rastrotherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

do they stay there long or just for a couple of minutes?

1. profile image0

I say most of them are riding atv's.  They will ride around down there mostly on weekends.  They are probably down there for at least an hour.  Others go down in there vehicles.  Our road for us to go down there is bad now.  We dont like to use the neighbors road even though he said we can.  He lets them use his road to go down and ride on our property.

23. profile image0

It looks like the most popular park down here on the weekends.  If a game warden was out issuing tickets, they would have lots of money.

24. rastrother profile image39

i gotta get back to work but if they stay a while as soon as you see them pull up call the cops but dont approach them. have the dispatcher call and tell you when the cops are there like at the main entrance or what not. once the cops are there approach the people and try to push them toward the cops. once the cops see them and they then run from the cops to the cops will be so mad it will be like game on and they will pen them up in those woods. they will have to come out sooner or later.

1. profile image0

Thanks for your help!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)