A Leisurely Stroll Down Memory Lane

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Jacqueline4390 profile image84
    Jacqueline4390posted 8 years ago

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12899657.jpg
    During my childhood, Sundays were very special days. Before attending church, my mother would be in the kitchen preparing the Sunday meal of Southern fried chicken, spaghetti along with a green vegetable. Then all scrubbed and polished—we would make our way to services where I would be stationed next to her on her favorite pew.

After services, we looked forward to dinner and what came a bit later—Sunday afternoon TV lineup—along with ice cream and cake. The entire family would be strategically placed in their favorite chair where The Wonderful World of Disney, Maverick and some other western would grace the screen while everyone smacked away.

Do you have found memories of Sunday evenings before retiring for bed and the beginning of another week in the long ago past?

1. easylearningweb profile image86
      easylearningwebposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is sweet Jacqueline. I remember my mother cooking a big Italian meal of pasta and meatballs, and relaxing after church on Sumday. Happy Memories.

2. Shadrack2 profile image42
      Shadrack2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I remember bleeding in my sunday best clothes n heading to church where I could sit next to my dad. From there we'd go watching tv at my brothers place.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Bleeding?

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's interesting that you write of such beautiful memories at a time when the world seems to have gone mad and the family is in such deep decline.  How so many of us must long for those days, and how sad it is that so many people today will never be able to enjoy such times.  Thanks for this.  I loved it.

4. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

As a kid, can't forget the Ed Sullivan Show, Bonanza, Mission Impossible, Super Bowl I

Mid-to late 1960s. We had a older color set that came as part of the purchase of our new house. Endless fine tuning and adjustment of rabbit ears to keep color in place. Cable had not been available at the time.

The family gathered around the color set, my sibling and I always fought over who was going to see their desired program on the color set verses the monochrome receiver in another part of the house.

Father told us that the monochrome tv was a fact a color one, it did had two colors, black and white.

When you think that today you cant get free-tv anymore. I lament.

Jacqueline4390posted 8 years agoin reply to this

So do I.

Our Living Room was the only room without a heater so during the chilly winter months we would sit there in our jackets eating ice cream. I loved every one of those TV shows you mentioned but there was no argument on Sunday's, we all watched the same thing. We never had color, my dad wanted one but for some reason mom said it bothered her eyes.

Believe it or not, I was grown when I had my first color set. I grew up in the 60s and there were lots of great TV viewing in that old house, especially on Sunday's!

1. Credence2 profile image78

Childhood is always something special, your backyard is your universe. If one troubles to look closely it is teeming with life. Who has time to stop and smell the roses when you get all grown up. Even if you did, they probably would not smell the same. Treehouses and rubarb patches, snow cone machines and 'easy bake ovens', etchesketches displays, wow, how primative.

In grade school, the principal kept a handy paddle, 'the board of education' to deal with troublemakers in class.

We walked to and from school during an era when 'gay' meant happy. When one President's assassination meant no more after school cartoons on TV for a while.

Remember the gizmo that you could put over a black and white sets to make them appear like it was a color set? It goes right up there with the 'XRay glasses that they were selling in the back of comic books. Where are the comic books?

Dad always kept a strap hanging in plain site with his never ending adage; 'A hard head made for a soft behind'.

I am proud to say that it was a pivotal and exciting to be growing up, changes were all around us. Music, TV, you name it.

Bewitched was very popular for our family, how crazy today. What woman in her right mind with all those incredible powers would live with a bonehead like Darrin Stevens?
          TV then was so quaint by todays standards, what were your favorite shows?

This a nice Sunday thread, you are a lot of fun, bring us more...

Jacqueline4390posted 8 years agoin reply to this

You are so right on all counts. I walked to school each day rain, sleet or snow. Yep, even in the snow! Looked forward to summer vacation so I could play outside longer! Who plays outside now in the under 12 group? Imagination ruled then (as well as the strap, belt, switch and paddle)

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
            Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Easy Bake Oven, Credence?
              Does anyone remember Shake-A-Pudding? We had to mix up some chemical concoction with water and shake it until it was thick like pudding.  I wonder what the heck we were ingesting?
            I remember finding really great white plastic figures in small cereal boxes.
            I also enjoyed Sunday evening TV programming. Recently, here in LA, Johnny Carson shows are airing. Its so relaxing to hear everyone bantering calmly. Even the way his guests sit seem calm compared to today's stars.  Times are very much changed. I suppose we will get them back again … I don't know how. Those were the days.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NSB-wK … KYL4w#t=53

You can probably google and find the manufacturer, my sister used to bake those microscopic cakes under the 150 watt bulb that was the oven.

These days you just can't just ingest any goo without a federal case being made of it.

I was too young for Johnny Carson during the 1960's, broadcasts past our bedtimes. But, I even remember Jack Parr who hosted the Tonight Show before Johnny C. People presented themselves differently, a higher level of civility. We all had a moment that we can never see again. Before all this synthetic food, everything seemed to taste better, no GMO's. BC (Before computers) people actually had to use their grey matter to figure things out. How quaint...

I don't remember 'shake a pudding', but I remember 'shake and bake'.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Yes, we had "bed times" back then!  HA! Sometimes before it got dark!
                Actually, we could go on and on about those times. We kids were so aware, yet imposed upon by the old expectations. We threw off so many of them. Today, the youth have nothing to rebel against. We had all the fun.
                BUT We might have taken it too far. Can we bring it back?
                I think so!!!! How, is the question.
                  … and corn tastes TERRIBLE today!  Stop genetic modification!

I don't think that it can be retrieved, that is why it was special and to be cherished. The senses are at their most sensitive and acute during childhood, everything was alive and you did not miss a thing.

Credence's theory of relativity; the older one gets the faster time seems to pass.

We all waited with anxiety for our 16th, 18th and 21st birthdays, nothing ever happened fast enough. You were waiting for everything Today, I turn my head and 5 years have passed. The kids today have their own values appropriate to them. These kids are not in a revolutionary mood, the battles have been fought and won by previous generations. I lost interest in the music of the current time, while I could name artists of the sixties-eighties just hearing the voices and songs. Just like the dog chasing its tail, the older generation loses touch with the new and becomes irrelevant to them. Once so contemporary and 'with it', we are now slow to adapt to changing technologies and such. Everybody and everything is going so fast. I don't know why the kids text when it is easier to talk on the phone?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

why do the kids text?
                    Because talking requires faster responsiveness (thinking) than texting. Texting allows them to tune into their thoughts more carefully. I remember my internal struggle in learning to carry on conversations. It was a challenge and there is an art to it. What is it based on?
                    Not being indifferent to the one you are communicating with … actually listening and being curious in someone else's thoughts, opinions and responses.

There may be more to this: texting may not be a bad thing and might lead to better writing and thinking?

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

Meanwhile, kids today are practicing their leads on Sundays, perhaps. lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHoTCbhIorI

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)