Why are my hubs being unfeatured after editing?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (20 posts)
  1. AnnaMKB profile image88
    AnnaMKBposted 8 years ago

First off, my hubs are transferred from Squidoo, and I am aware of various issues there.  I'd already checked and edited hubs after the transition, so this is all post transfer.

What I don't understand is why some of my hubs get unfeatured after I've edited them?  One even got unpublished.  As it's the most recent example, this is the Hub.
    http://annamkb.hubpages.com/hub/redisco … mdm-benoit
    I had edited it for some typos I'd found, rearranged the Amazon capsules for easier reading and added a text box talking about her cookbooks.

While other hubs I've edited ended up being unfeatured immediately after editing, this one got unpublished.  The email I got said it was "overly promotional" and included this list.

Overly Promotional means that one or more of the following is true about your Hub. It:
    *Solely or excessively promotes another site, product, or service
    *Over-uses words or phrases that disrupt the Hub’s readability, which may include repeated emphasis of phrases with bold or italics
    *Links more than 2 times to a single domain
    *Gives a short teaser and a link to "read more" or "continue"
    *Links to a page that contains largely the same content as your Hub
    *Has excessive Amazon or eBay capsules

This was written to commemorate an historical person.  There were links within the article that took people to other sites (none mine) for more information.  I don't recall any domain being linked to more than once.  I had Amazon capsules to her 5 cookbooks; not any more than I have on other Hubs I've got, such as my crafting ones.  They were all topical.  I had edited the hub before, again after finding typos, and it had been fine.  Why was it suddenly so bad, it got unpublished?

In the end, I took out all the Amazon capsules, and all but 2 external links. I then got this email:

Your Hub has been cleared for publication, and published. Please keep in mind that while your Hub is published, it still needs to be evaluated by the Quality Assessment Process to determine if it will be Featured.

Why?  I don't understand what was wrong with the hub in the first place.  However, I've noted with other hubs that got unpublished (with a very long, general, list of possible reasons for it, but nothing that tells me what is wrong with the actual hub in question), I have found that they get featured again after removing all Amazon capsules, even though they were related to the hub and there weren't many (in some cases, only 1).

I'm getting the impression that Amazon sales (I don't use ebay) are actively discouraged.  But its inconsistent. 

Whatever is going on, it's gotten to the point where I'm loath to edit any of my hubs, or even write new ones.

Can someone explain it to me, please?

AnnaMKBposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I just remembered.  I did link to a "how to" on a personal blog that was related to the subject.  I did remove that part completely, and that wasn't enough.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It is frustrating, especially as it is often only ONE link that was the problem, but because you can't tell, you end up taking the nuclear option and removing the lot!

I don't see how the cookbooks could be deemed not relevant. Are you sure your other links were all relevant? For instance if you had a link to a site about a colleague of hers, or her home town, or her teacher, those would all be seen as tangential and not allowed

The links I removed were all related to her or more about her, including Canadain history links that were just about her, her shows, a complete listing of her cookbooks (she wrote a LOT of them!).  One I've kept is a link to explain the French Canadian traditional Christmas Eve meal that is part of my husband's culture. 
        It would be a lot more useful if they'd say *why* a hub has been flagged.  I've had the unfeatred email with a link that lists all the things that 'might' be why it was flagged, but it doesn't help me in regards to the specific hub.  I've never had one unpublished before, and I've edited it a few times as I've noticed typos I've missed.  I've never added more links or Amazon capsules, and it had never been a problem before.
        *sigh*  I just don't get it.

2. WriteAngled profile image75
        WriteAngledposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It is this attitude of HP that gets me so mad! Who is to say what might or might not be seen as relevant by the reader. That depends entirely on the reader's purpose in searching for the article and also on his/her other interests.

There is that lovely word, serendipity, first used by Horace Walpole in the 18th century, which he referred back to a Persian story about three princes of a land called Serendip, who were "always making discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, of things which they were not in quest of".

All through my life, serendipity has led me to finding out new knowledge and interesting facts, some of which have in turn led me to lasting interests and/or wondrous experiences. In the old days, I would sometimes be looking up something in a paper encyclopaedia. have an unrelated entry on the opposite page catch my eye and follow through the references leading from that entry. Today, the same happens following tangential links.

What a huge pity that the thought police have decided that offering such chances places too much of a burden on the uneducated, attention-deficit masses of this digital generation! The same thought police also refuse to accept the concept of "Renaissance Man (or Woman)", namely that a person can have and desire to have knowledge of many unrelated subjects.

Without serendipity and polymathy, it is little wonder that so many people nowadays are such boring company!

1. profile image0
          Snakesmumposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ooh, a new word!   Thanks for using polymathy - had to look it up, but I like to learn things. :-)

Off topic, I know, so I'll go now........

2. AnnaMKB profile image88

Writeangled, that was an awesome post!! :-D

3. samjhaim profile image62
          samjhaimposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Damn. VIa serendipity I found your post. I got this message before replying to your post:

"The post you are replying to is over two months old. Please DO NOT reply UNLESS you have truly new information to add to this conversation. Consider creating a new forum discussion instead. "

Geesh. Today I posted my first hub. I wonder if I am in the right place.

sam

1. psycheskinner profile image82
            psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure why you are offended by an automated message letting you know this is an old thread.  Things being as they are, 5 month old information is no longer very useful around here.

1. Jesse Drzal profile image92
              Jesse Drzalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You see people pull up stuff from like 5 years ago sometimes lol.

3. Sandyspider profile image76
      Sandyspiderposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have been busy with POD products and put my articles here on hold. To find that the rules changed again. I too came from Squidoo, but already had a HubPage account and knew the differences. But now it is extreme.

2. favored profile image62
    favoredposted 8 years ago

Anna it's quite discouraging. Every article I've updated gets the same message that something else needs fixing.  Fixing the same ones over and over makes it hard to do anything else, especially new writing.

I removed outside links, deleted product, etc. as well.  Makes me not want to edit some of the ones I haven't gotten to yet, especially my recipes.  At least your number hasn't gone down. Mine has dropped a great deal; wish they didn't have that number plastered on the bio pic. I think it discourages readers as well as the author.

Don't know what to tell you other than keep writing about what you love.  Somehow it will work out in the end.

Thanks.  With how this is going, I'm wondering if it's worth it to keep writing here, or if I should find other avenues.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

The stupid thing is, 5 relevant Amazon capsules is well within the rules patrolled by the automated filters, so while you left your Hubs sitting untouched, they were fine.

However the moment you edit one, that automatically sends the Hub through the QAP where it's judged by a human moderator, who is just someone hired through Mechanical Turk on piece rates.  Their results are monitored for quality but I wonder if that leads to some of them being over zealous.

Mechanical Turk?  Really?  I would imagine that would explain the inconsistencies!

4. makingamark profile image69
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

Anna - don't worry about it.  I can find no good reason to decimate evergreen sites which we know have worked in the past.

The HubPages rules are NOT Google rules.

Hence if you are dissatisfied with the HubPages judgement about what is "overly promotional" and hence what does not merit publication you can always remove your unfeatured or unpublished content and put it on another site.

Experience to date amongst MANY ex Squidoo people suggests that many of their sites flourish and get even more traffic when you do this.

For me the bottom line is whether or not it is old evergreen content which consistently got traffic and interest on Squidoo. If it did then I'd recommend having a long hard think about another appropriate location if HubPages sends out a signal that it doesn't want it.

Put more simply - would you rather put effort into exercising more control over your content or put effort into trying to make a site fit in with HubPages rules which are less than transparent in terms of their applicability to individual sites?

Personally speaking I get very bored by guessing games.

Thanks for your thoughts.  Before the transfer, most of my lenses got at least *some* traffic, but now a lot of them get none at all.  I can understand it for the product review hubs (only 5 of 17 are featured).  They were part of Squidoo challanges, and not the sort of writing I normally do.  I have no real desire to expand on them to get them featured.  I barely have enough time to keep on top of the ones I have, and it's taken me weeks to put together a new one.  I've got too much going on in real life that is keeping me from writing.  Which sucks, big time.

I'm going to get this new hub up and see how it goes.  It's on a controversial topic, so will likely get more traffic.  This is going to be my tester that will help me decide if I need to just move on to somewhere else.

Well, I've gone and done it.  My first hub since the transfer from Squidoo.  It's still awaiting quality assessment.  We shall see how it goes.

5. Lynne-Modranski profile image79
    Lynne-Modranskiposted 8 years ago

That is helpful information.  I was at a loss too.  I will have 8 hubs all with almost exactly the same kind of content and four will get through and four won't.  Fortunately, I have links to relevant hubs on all of my hubs, so the interested reader can find the featured ones and then go to the unfeatured from there.

It all seems to arbitrary!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)