Donald Trump for President: Pros / Cons

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
    Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years ago

Keep in mind that The POTUS has a certain amount of power, but is checked every which-way by design:

1. Commands the army, navy and state militias.

2. Grants reprieves and pardons for offenses against the US.

3. Makes treaties with the advice and consent of the SENATE ... as long as 2/3s of the SENATORS agree with the proposed treaty.

4. Nominates.

5. Appoints with the advice and consent of the SENATE:
         A. Ambassadors,
         B. Public ministers
         C. Consuls
         D. Judges of the supreme court
         E. Officers of the United States, (whose appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by LAW.)
         F. Inferior officers, in courts of law or heads of departments. (The CONGRESS vests the appointment of these inferior officers as they think proper, in the president alone.)

6. Informs CONGRESS regarding the state of the Union advising necessary and expedient measures.

7. Convenes or adjourns both houses in cases of disagreement.

8. Receives ambassadors and other public ministers.

9. Insures that the LAWS are faithfully executed.

10. Commissions all the officers of the United states.

11. Shall be REMOVED from office in case of:
        A.Treason
        B. Bribery
        C. High crimes
        D. Misdemeanors

1. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Pros. It will take about 3 1/2 years to get Trump to understand any of that.  So he'll only have about sic months to screw anything up too badly.

Added boonie. Hillary will not be able to screw anything up.

Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years agoin reply to this

what about #11 for Hillary?  It sort of seems like she's in a position to be impeached before she's even elected!!!  After all, why did she step down as Secretary of State?

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image85
        Jackie Lynnleyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No of course not as long as she is not trusted with a phone or allowed to be in touch with any terrorists with money.

2. dianetrotter profile image60
      dianetrotterposted 7 years agoin reply to this

1.  He needs a mental eval
      2.  He is vindictive
      3.  He's easily influenced by flattery (Putin)
      4.  He doesn't know current world situation/didn't know that Russia invaded Crimea in 2014
      5.  He has an affinity for young blondes and may invite them under the desk

Diane! No. % 5 !!! He is happily married … ( well, this time around as far as we know.)

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image85
        Jackie Lynnleyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Trump or Clinton? lol

3. dianetrotter profile image60

AND we really don't know.  The older she gets the more "in jeopardy" she is.

Oh! yikes  ( "she" being his wife.)
        ( I didn't know you were so mean. sad)
        Good gosh amighty! ... what a horrible thought. We should give him the benefit of the doubt!!!!
        If you ask me, which no one ...

1. dianetrotter profile image60

Mean?  Moi?  You've heard of 3 strikes haven't you?

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 7 years ago

5(D) is probably what scares the DNC the most, and likely where he could do the most good.  It would be nice to have Supreme Court justices that decide based on the constitution rather than the political opinions of the party they associate with.  Either party.

+ Infinity

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

I guess we do give him the benefit of the doubt in so many ways … sad

Specifically, what are those (other) doubts that we conservatives are giving him a pass on,
    I am wondering …

4. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 7 years ago

I cannot think of any pros in a Trump presidency so I asked my Republican husband:
    1) The economy will improve because he will have us in war
    2) US manufacturing will increase out of necessity due to failed trade deals with other countries
    3) He will further tank the Republican party.
    That's all he could come up with.. LOL

Cons:
    1) We will be a laughingstock around the world.
    2) Nothing will get done because he is incompetent
    3) our children will think the presidency is a reality TV show. Oh wait, his supporters already think that.
    4) He will waste billions of dollars building a wall because he won't be able to get Mexico to pay for it. Oh wait, that requires authorization from Congress.
    5) He will spend taxpayer dollars to coat the White House in gold and mount "TRUMP" in giant letters on the front.. Meiania will redecorate in orange to honor her husband with white fur accents to please herself.

#5: No! He will behave presidentially,

won't he???? 

Please elucidate regarding Cons # 1 and # 2, PrettyPanther.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You ask if he will behave presidentially?  Has he yet done so?  Remember when the Republican party establishment was certain he would pivot to being more presidential and appeal to a broader base once he was the official Republican nominee?  Well, that hasn't happened.  One thing you can say about Trump is, so far, he has been himself.  So, if you vote for him, you cannot look back and say you didn't know what to expect.

As for #1, my husband believes Donald does not have the ability to "stand down" or compromise when needed.  This is a requirement for any type of diplomacy.  And, of course, I agree.  We do not think Little Donnie, who can't stand the fact that people said bad things about him at the DNC, has the temperament to handle a tough foreign policy negotiation.  He will want to go nuclear, because that is who he is.  He has made no bones about his need to attack.

#2:  My husband thinks Donald doesn't have a clue about how international trade works beyond what he has done to enrich himself by using cheap foreign labor to make his products.  He believes Donald is monumentally stupid about it.  That's all I could get out of my husband this morning, as he is sick of talking about Donald.  LOL

2. dianetrotter profile image60

I love it Pink!  Tell you husband "Those are cons!!!"

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

Trump will limit freebies. Hillary won't.

What the heck are freebies?  Do we all get them?

- you know …  the "freebies" that some get at the expense of others ... the freebies the oppressor candidate will continue to issue forth.

If I have to mention which candidate, you are not following along.

smile

2. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Trump will limit freebies to working and middle class people, but allow the wealthy and affluent to virtually rape the treasury.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

While it would be nice to get some freebies for once, to you think Trump will end the food stamp program?  Medicaid?  Section 8 housing?  Disability payments?  Do you think he will provide treasury checks to the rich? 

Will Congress approve these plans or do you think Trump will take a card from Obama's deck and just make laws all by himself?

1. profile image0
          PrettyPantherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Aren't you the one who said Trump is so incompetent he would accomplish nothing?  If so, then there are no worries about Trump either eliminating social programs or handing out new financial goodies to the rich.

Umm...That was the point, all right.  That Trump will accomplish very little in his tenure, good OR bad.

2. Credence2 profile image78

Yes, according to the "all mighty" Trump he will make the laws and attempt to dissolve Congress toward that end. Fascists and Tyrants seem to predominate from the right wing spectrum of things.

1. Live to Learn profile image60
            Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

LOL. Exactly how do you think Trump could go about dissolving Congress?

1. Credence2 profile image78

Just a little levity, folks. Even he would not dare broach this topic.

LOL  Don't count on it.  There isn't much I'd put beyond that mouth.

Indeed, it is my hope that congress will be nearly dissolved, albeit immediately regrown with people that actually wish to serve the country instead of themselves.  Probably a forlorn hope, but one that I think Trump has placed into a lot of people.

1. Credence2 profile image78

To start fresh with representatives not beholding to money or special interest, we would be talking about another reality. When was Congress really free of such influence? It has to be built in as part of their oath of office, in regards to how and under what conditions they are legally allowed to be influenced by these things. It is just that since the founders, things have been progressively growing worse over time. This problem is far greater than anything Trump can hope to deal with and beyond the hopes of those who support him.

Sadly, it is built into what we consider a politician.

But it isn't that I hope Trump will do anything about it: it's that I hope seeing a candidate that isn't beholden will convince people to take a better look at who they elect.  Even if Clinton is elected (expected) there are still an awful lot of people highly dissatisfied with politics in this country and making their displeasure known through the vote.  That are saying in a loud voice "WE DON'T WANT POLITICS AS USUAL!" even though I expect the liberals to band tightly together (for now) and pretend that American politics as usual is what we want and need.

So it is the people I put the hope in, not Trump and not politicians.  Just a hint, a quiet whisper, was given when Perot ran; this time it's a loud voice even if Democrats plug their ears and ignore it. They do so at their peril, I fervently hope - the same peril that Republicans doing the same thing will find.

2. wilderness profile image95

And you believe that?  While calling him the biggest liar in history?

6. profile image53
    Rajiv pradhanposted 7 years ago

Yes i think so

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)