Is there a way I can adjust the thumbnail of a hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)
  1. daydreams profile image94
    daydreamsposted 7 years ago

Does anyone know if it is possible to adjust the thumbnail of a hub? One of my thumbnails is of a picture which is portrait of a person and the way that it has been cut makes it look a bit strange as his head is cut off so ideally it would be adjusted so that his head was included?
    Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for your help.

1. Ashish Dadgaa profile image46
      Ashish Dadgaaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@Marianne Sherret,

Thumbnail of the hub is auto adjusted. We can't crop it or adjust it.
      I agree with you some time it does look dodge and makes our hub looks bit strange.

By the way, can you share that hub link here? (if you don't mind)

Regards,
      Ashish

daydreamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It is this one:
        http://hubpages.com/education/Neuschwan … ious-death

I suppose I could change the picture - but not sure it is worth the effort (doesn't get loads of views anyway. Just a bit annoying.

Marianne,

I checked your hub picture. You are right. It isn't looking good.
          You can try to crop the photo from top and bottom and try to upload it again. (please check the attached photo)

I hope it works.

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13275100_f248.jpg

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

The thumbnail is always derived from the first picture on the Hub.  Maybe see if you can find a head and shoulders image of the King to use instead as your first image?

3. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 7 years ago

The only way to control how your thumbnail image looks is to make the first image in your hub square. That will avoid having it cropped. If you don't want to cut off any part of the image, then add white space on the sides to make it square.

Either way, as long as the length and width are the same, it will not get cropped for the thumbnail.

You can crop or add white space with most any free image editor, such as "Paint" on Windows or "Preview" on a Mac.

4. daydreams profile image94

Thank you for all your replies. I have changed the image to another one which works better when cropped - although is annoying as I liked the previous picture better.

I don't think adding white space will look good in the article itself - but thank you for the suggestion. I will bear in mind if I decide to write more hubs.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Don't give up so quick, especially since you liked the previous.

I cropped it for you and made it square I as mentioned earlier. It didn't require much white space since I took off a little form the top and bottom. The image is now square 520 by 520.

Here it is below. Right click and save this image. Try it in your hub and see how the thumbnail looks. You will see that nothing gets lost in the thumbnail and I think the image will look good in you hub too.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13277566_f520.jpg

@Glenn Stok,

I really appreciate your this line:
        "Don't give up so quick, especially since you liked the previous"  smile

You are an expert smile

2. daydreams profile image94

Hi Glenn
        Thank you for making so much effort - have tried with the cropped version and it is better, but still not quite right.
        I think I probably need to find something else landscape...

The hub doesn't really pick up views from google anyway though, so I am not sure it is worth investing too much energy in it.

I have now changed the first image to a postcard showing the King's last walk before he was found dead - it is landscape so works better as a thumbnail, and I think it fits and it arguably more interesting than a portrait of the king.

Thank you to everyone for your help.

Okay, that's good that you found something you are happy with. But just remember that's landscape gets cropped too. You just didn't need the sides in the postcard you used. Make sure it's not a copyrighted image.

I am curious to know, however, what was still not right with the one I cropped for you. I made it square so the entire image would be used in the thumbnail without cutting off his head or his feet. Just curious.

His head was still slightly chopped off (on my profile page). Also it looked less good on the hub itself.

But thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to look into that as to why a square image was still cropped further for the thumbnail. That never happened when I made images for my hubs. This is a new discovery. Sorry it didn't work for you.

2. Ashish Dadgaa profile image46

@Marianne,

You are welcome.
      However, the previous image was much more suitable to your hub rather than current one.

5. daydreams profile image94

The other option I have found for the first picture - which might encourage people to click is the "last photo of Ludwig II" but it is of his dead body laid out for the funeral. I am wondering though if that might be a bit morbid...? It seems wrong to use a photo of someone dead (even if from more than 100 years ago?)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)