Are college campuses turning into kindergartens? What's happened?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (76 posts)
  1. The Old Guard profile image60
    The Old Guardposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13277065_f520.jpg
    Univ. of Mich. -" post-election self-care” event with “food and play,” including “coloring sheets, play dough [sic], positive card-making, Legos and bubbles - in a law school? How pathetic!
    Standford - psychological counseling was available for those experiencing “uncertainty, anger, anxiety and/or fear” following the election.
    Cornell, meanwhile, students held a "Cry-in." over the election
    Yale had a ”group scream.” over the election.
    University of Kansas reminded students that there were plenty of “therapy dogs” available, to help them recover from this election.
    And these are the people that are going to be lawyers and business leaders over the next 40 years!!
    America, we've got a serious problem, if our college kids have to can't accept a simple election.
    I'm sure glad I'm not going to be around, when this group takes over the reigns of the country
    I've seen some pretty pathetic stuff in my time, but I do have to admit, this takes the cake!

1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

A lot of us are looking forward to the time when you and people like you are no longer around, then we can sweep the droppings from the showroom floor and not have to deal with its source for good.

You folks have got your way, THIS TIME. So, don't rub it in.

The Old Guardposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yup, you can be a slave, I have no problems with your choice.
        Hitler was elected in Germany.
        Chavez was elected in Venezuela.
        Go ahead and pick the dictator that you want to be enslaved by.
        Myself, I'll find the free spots of the world and enjoy myself.
        And rub, rub, rub, rub!
        Cheers

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13277113_f248.jpg

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13277115_f248.jpg

1. profile image0
          PrettyPantherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Watch it. Your tattered knickers are showing. Trump was elected in the U.S.

2. profile image0

My philosophy is to let them have their schadenfreude. It won't last long, although it is my sincere hope that Trump will turn out to be a good president.

Since the deed is done, I have no choice but to hope for the same.

3. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Except that this thread isn't about the election; it's about the extreme reaction of college children to a disappointment.  It's about the inability or unwillingness of our older children to handle and control their emotions.  It's about treating grown "adults" as 5 year old kids having a temper tantrum or meltdown.

And yes, it's disgusting to think that these are the people that will control our destiny in only a few years.

Wilderness,
          You caught it!!
          You caught the pathetic ways adults have to be treated these days. GREAT!!!
          You're so right - can you imagine what these college students will be like in the 30's?
          Me thinks America is doomed!
          Trump or no Trump, if that's what college is about these days, America is doomed! LOL
          Cheers

1. colorfulone profile image79
            colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Wilderness is smart man.  And, I don't use the word "man" loosely in this day and age. 

The state colleges that have wasted taxpayers money coddling their crybabies will likely be seeing deductions come out of their funding to cover the wasteful spending. 

Crayons and play dough!  dah, dah, dah

2. Credence2 profile image79

Wilderness, did not the generation before you say that about you when you were a kid?

1. wilderness profile image94

Doubt it.  There weren't any "demonstrations" of college kids when I went.  There were no students going into a mental breakdown because their political candidate lost.  If my college even had a counselor I didn't know of it, and it certainly didn't publicize "free spaces", extra help for those frightened by Halloween masks or distraught by chalked political slogans on the sidewalk.  We were expected to be adults and, for the most part were.  We students were there to learn, to study, to prepare for our future and having a group cry session or playing with play dough as group therapy for a disappointing election wasn't a part of it.

Well, it was part of it in 1968. Students were just student then, as well.  I remember demonstrations throughout the sixties and early seventies. I would not want to say that many of them were not warranted. Where were you hiding during this period? I guess things like that never happened in Idaho?

1. profile image0
                ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The difference 1960's to 2016 , Then ,  there was some validity  to protests and even riots ,It was after all a social revolution , Now  , its simply the entitled youth "reaching out for  a baby bottle ", No validity , no cause , simply the wilding out of a spoiled generation .     
                See many older people there ?   No.
                See any republicans , old or young  , doing that in 2008 , in 2012  ? No.

My advice  , put them down hard.

That will reach a point where it is politically unpalatable, good luck with that!!!

I say that there is validity today for peaceful protest, regardless of your opinion otherwise

1. profile image0

There would be validation if there was not a bit of violence , property damage and  injuries to police and bystanders ! Otherwise , it's merely rioting and deserves fully to be treated as  such ,    I look at the ages of the protesters alone and can decipher that it is absolutely meaningless  , totally riotous  and without any justification .   !

They are however , Nothing a little tear gas and baton beatings cannot quell .

2. wilderness profile image94

Exact same period - '68 to '72 - but in a tiny town in Northeast Oregon (10,000 population).  Nobody to watch a demonstration even if we had the time to walk around and certainly no media to glorify our cause for us.

So instead of making a nuisance of ourselves to be on TV we went to class and hit the books.  Between work and study there simply wasn't time to be a movie star.

I understand....

2. profile image0

Let's address this rationally. You don't like protests and you also don't like other ways of coping that have no impact on you whatsoever. Yes, these are the people who are going to be lawyers and business leaders over the next 40 years. So what? Are you happy with the current crop of lawyers and businessmen? Oh, wait, the reality is that there are all types in all professions but you're focusing on those who choose to have fun in the face of disappointment and making it out to be a bad thing. I chose a night on the town, drinking and dancing with with my Republican husband and family members of both political ideologies. So what? Who cares as long as it's not hurting anyone? This is called making a mountain out of a molehill.

"Who cares as long as it's not hurting anyone?"

Have no impact?  Come on, PP, they most certainly DO have an impact.  Colleges hire counselors to "handle" childish temper tantrums and meltdowns...with funding that could have gone to buying basic supplies for grade school kids instead of the teacher buying them from her own pocket.  Destruction of property and blocking freeways most certainly DOES affect others.  Encouraging electors to violate their ethics, pledges and even the law absolutely affects others listening to the pleas - even if it never happens, they are telling the world that ethics and the law don't matter if they can get what they want, and some with already shaky morals believe them.

1. profile image0

Let's stay on topic. "Encouraging electors to violate their ethics, pledges and even the law* is not what my response is addressing. He's worried about people having fun to blow off steam and making it out to be the end of America. "America is doomed. " Typical cry of a generation on the way out. A certain segment of each waning generation always sings the same doomsday tune.

Having fun??!?  By destruction of private property or by encouraging people to perform illegal acts?  By interfering in the peaceful, quiet lives of others in order to be on TV?  You and I have very different ideas of "fun" and acceptable methods of having that "fun".

But the actual topic is grown "adults" having several emotional reactions to an event that happens every 4 years.  Having a 5 year old's meltdown because their candidate lost an election.  While I've watched my little granddaughter go into a meltdown, screaming and crying a flood because she couldn't get her way, I expect far more from a college student 5 times her age.  I might give her crayons and a coloring book to distract her from life's troubles and here are students in our highest school of education wanting the same thing!

1. profile image0

Wow, you guys seem really bent out of shape about college students playing with legos and coloring. As for violence and illegal acts, that is a diiferent subject altogether and NOT what I was referring to when I said having fun and I suspect you know that.

You seem to have forgotten vast swaths of history if you think previous generations of students did not protest or engage in illegal acts.

Play all they want - I don't care.

But I DO care when they whine that the cost of college is prohibitive and someone else must pay for their play time and legos.  For their counselors to console their trauma over a chalked "Trump" on the sidewalk.  For their time because they would rather play on the freeway and be a nuisance to anyone actually working than get a job to pay their own expenses. 

I remember the times - Woodstock was around then.  But I'm also sure that few if any from my small college had the time to engage in such activities.  We weren't there to play - we were there to learn, to study and to prepare for our future.

No keggers, no parties, no fraternity stunts, no Animal House? Did you go to a college or a funeral home?

1. PhoenixV profile image64
                    PhoenixVposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Lol

Not by me and not by any of my friends.  We weren't there to play, and we didn't have someone else covering our expenses.  Doubt there were any weeks that I didn't work at least 40 hours (while carrying up to 24 credit hours) and one summer (no summer school) it jumped to 138 hours/ week.  Not easy - not easy at all - but it got me an education and only $500 in debt when I came out.  Less than a month's rent.  Remember going to exactly one football game (homecoming) in the 4 years.

No funeral home - an institution of advanced learning, and it was treated as just that rather than a play room.  Lived in a tiny one room "apartment" for $35 per month with shared bathroom (6 others), a small sink and a hot plate in the room to "cook" on.  Either get the shower early or deal with cold water.

How times have changed - now college is a time of play with a few hours of classes thrown in.

2. profile image0

Oh my goodness, now this is getting ridiculous. College students don't get paid by the hour to be students, and if the college wants to pay for the legos it's their decision how to spend the money in their budget, and the students still pay their own tuition, and I sincerely hope I never, ever sound like such a cranky old sourpuss. Maybe if you had had some fun in your college years you wouldn't be so uptight now. Geez.

You gotta remember times was hard back then. They didnt have legos or anything like Iphones. They had "kick the can and 23skidoo."   A handful of stars on the flag and nothing but guts.

"if the college wants to pay for the legos it's their decision how to spend the money in their budget"

And just where do you think that budget comes from?  Hint: the majority isn't from tuition.  A 180 million $ bond was just approved in my area to put towards additional buildings - that ain't tuition money!

"the students still pay their own tuition"

Really?  Then why do we provide interest free "loans" that never get paid back?  It is a rare student indeed that is actually paying their own way through college today - between grants, loans and scholarships they don't have to.  But it still isn't enough - they now demand free tuition, free food, free housing, free books, free class fees.  Living completely on the dole, in other words.

2. The Old Guard profile image60

Hey, Pretty,
        If 18yr olds +  need coloring books, legos, crying times and screaming times, to get through a simple election, then we have one messed up educational system.
        6 to 8 year olds I can understand, but adults?
        Give me a break.
        This stuff is not to have fun, it's actually to "work through fear and terror".
        That's why suicide hotlines are ringing off the hook.
        Over words! Trumps not even in office yet!!
        If you don't see the stupidity of college kids having to have cry time, scream time, legos and coloring books -  I don't know what to tell you.
        It ain't my idea of a mature, well balanced person.
        Immature, spoiled, self righteous and lacking reason come to mind, but not mature or well balanced.
        JMHO.
        Cheers

If you knew that you had to live with 4 years of Trump, you would be going ballistic too. How about letting these young people have their grief and mourn in their own way? Even the toddlers are ripping their coloring books in response to catastrophe.

Well the toddlers were purchasing and wearing drumph shirts and going to trump rallies. Tough guys then.  Now they expect everyone to accommodate a pity party.   20 trillion in debt. Im glad Calamity Janes 8 Years are up.

Credence2,
            Amazing the blinders you have.
            Must be bigger than any horses.
            Have fun in your land, wherever it is.
            Cheers

My 'blinders' are dwarf in comparison to yours. But, regardless, I am having a fine day, thank you....

2. profile image0

When you take a drink to relax, do you "need" it? If you blow off steam by shooting baskets with your kid, do you "need" it? If you paint with oils to relax instead of draw with crayons does that mean you're somehow better?

This is one of the stupidest arguments I've ever seen.

Pretty,
            If you think crying time, legos, screaming time and coloring books are appropriate outlets for college kids, you go with it.
            Myself, I find it pretty pathetic.
            Cheers

1. profile image0

You're entitled to judge to your little heart's content.

As are you. Never have denied that to anyone.
                As a friend of mine stated, "You've got to allow people to be as stupid as they want to be. It's none of your business"
                So, I will follow my friends advice, and not try and change the way you judge things.
                Cheers

1. colorfulone profile image79
                  colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The young liberals are deeply affect by delusions that were fueled by a propagandized media and they are now accurately demonstrating that they are fundamental prevented from growing or developing properly.

2. PhoenixV profile image64
    PhoenixVposted 7 years ago

I would much rather they pull the arms off their barbary dolls or pull the stuffings out of their care bears than be throwing molotov cocktails on themselves. If they keep doing stuff like that then adults will have to put liberals in a time out. No wait, liberal parenting has got us to this point. This generation needs to be taken to the woodshed. Then they might put their emotional tragedies in perspective. When the kiddos or mentality is " I got bruises from being on Twitter " becomes prevalent, then Houston we got some massive psychological problems.

3. colorfulone profile image79
    colorfuloneposted 7 years ago

I love Trump's plan for education.
    https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/education

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13277188.jpg

4. PhoenixV profile image64
    PhoenixVposted 7 years ago

Hippies were not as naive and not nearly as easily manipulated as the quasi Iprotesters today.  I doubt they would take cash to protest for hillary by default. Nor would they allow anyone in their ranks that would take cash. Pretty bad when people have to be paid to be hillarys bff

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years ago

And do they (the college children) know anything whatsoever about the Constitution and how it protects our rights and liberty? How it keeps us united and secure as a nation?
    Well, do the teachers?
    Well, do the parents?
    Well…????
    Yep its a deep subject and no one wants to go there.
    Hint:
    Introduce the Federalist Papers in High School (required reading.)
    This was actually a plan back in the 90's but it fell through, so you have the result of mass ignorance.
    And all the tears.
    roll

1. profile image0

Being distressed about a man who has said and done so many nasty things being elected by almost half the electorate hardly equates with no understanding of the Constitution. And his selection of woman-hating, white nationalist Steve Bannon of breitbaet.com as chief strategist is hardly reassuring.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
        Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You know what?
        roll!!!

"Bannon was charged with misdemeanor domestic violence, battery and dissuading a witness in early January 1996, after Piccard accused Bannon of domestic abuse. The charges were later dropped when his now ex-wife did not show up to court." wikipedia
        He is now remarried with twin daughters. Woman hater? Proof please?

Trump will not allow the country to slip (any further) into socialism. You are not afraid of this possibility. Maybe you are even for it. Why??? All the social programs you guys are willing to support would raise taxes.  Government programs bring forth dependance on the government. High taxes equals less freedom. Its very simple.
        But you don't get it.

1. profile image0

Speaking as an independent - conservative  and I believe I speak for many people ,I would far rather see a revolution in the streets and the complete breakdown of our system than to see any MORE movement at all in the direction of  our definition of "socialism ",     That where taxes are so  incredibly high  as to pay for the collective entitlements of this  new  society .

It would more than likely be blood in the streets  like nothing the world has seen to date ,   America would devolve into a Beirut like presence  , rather than turn away from what it is now .  That is the bare truth of the  implications of socialist make-over in America .   Thing is , once we go to violence in the streets , there is often no returning from that.

I'd agree with you , ahorseback.
            When socialists control your schools, which they do in Amereeka, they control the children's minds.
            Which is why were seeing all the snowflakes in the streets.
            They're not protesting because of any loss of freedom. They're protesting because what they thought was true, was a lie. They cannot handle that fact.
            Cheers

1. profile image0

Absolutely right .    Snowflakes  shouldn't be allowed near the voting booth , problem is - I know too many snowflakes our own age too .      I see them every day talking on cell phones in traffic,   yelling at the coach at soccer games while their grandson sits on the bench ,    pushing to the front of the line in the super-market.   

America in entitlement decline ?That's all.

Yupper, the snowflakes are amongst all age groups.
                My older sister (74) is one, as is her daughter (in her 30's) . Both disgusting twits that couldn't figure out how to get out of a wet paper bag.
                But, those are the types that vote Hitler and Chavez into power. And almost hillary killary into the White house.
                How they think is beyond my comprehension. I unfriended them both on Facebook! LOL
                Cheers

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years ago

Government Accountability Institute logo.png
    Founded: 2012
    Area served: United States
    Key people: Peter Schweizer, Stephen Bannon

The Government Accountability Institute (GAI) is a conservative nonprofit investigative research organization located in Tallahassee, Florida. GAI was founded in 2012. Peter Schweizer serves as the group's president. The group is known for its involvement with the publication of the investigative books Clinton Cash: The Untold Story of How and Why Foreign Governments and Businesses Helped Make Bill and Hillary Rich and Bush Bucks: How Public Service and Corporations Helped Make Jeb Rich.

The stated mission of GAI is to "investigate and expose crony capitalism, misuse of taxpayer monies, and other governmental corruption or malfeasance."According to Bloomberg Businessweek, GAI creates "rigorous, fact-based indictments against major politicians, then partners with mainstream media outlets to disseminate those findings to the broadest audience." Members of GAI's board of directors include Stephen Bannon, Owen Smith, Ron Robinson, and Hunter Lewis.

GAI's research methods include analyzing tax filings, flight logs, and foreign government documents as well as engaging in data-mining on the deep web, which includes the 97% of information on the World Wide Web that isn't indexed by traditional search engines.

ooooOOhh! scary!!! yikes

7. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 7 years ago

Colouring- scientifically proven to have a calming effect, reduces anxiety, comparable to meditation.

Therapy dogs- used in all sorts of situations including hospitals with the physically ill, proven benefits such as social engagement and comfort.

Lego- symbolic of building something together in a time that feels divisive, focuses attention on something tangible.

Group scream- channeling anger and aggression in a non-violent, non-disruptive way.

Counselling- um, gee, do I really need to explain the benefits of counselling?

I'm sorry that you feel uncomfortable with schools trying to acknowledge that people feel badly about the implications of this election and are trying to help them.  I'm sorry that you certainly don't understand why those implications are so upsetting for some.

I'm sorry that you don't understand these things and why they are beneficial because you're not familiar with them and progression is surely scary for some people.

I'm sorry that you can't get past infantilizing an entire generation because you're stuck on the notion that crayons and Lego and crying is for children - though, something tells me that if some dude enjoyed building the Millennium Falcon in his spare time because he thought it was fun you would not be so critical of that.

See, part of the real problem here is that you for some reason feel that you're the authority on how people should handle their emotions.

Forget the psychologists.

Forget the research.

Forget the attempts to learn how to better channel our emotions, our aggression, our pain.

Because you don't like it.  Because you are willing to tear young people down as a whole before you are willing to try to understand it.  Because you cannot get past yourself and your perspective to gain a little empathy.

Nope.  The real problem is that you're telling people they should not be upset about racism, misogyny, and xenophobia gaining momentum while you're upset about people colouring and playing with Lego.  Let me tell you, if that's what it means to be a "proper" adult, to "handle" things like a grown-up, then I'm glad we're running away from it.

1. profile image0

Wow , talk about a kindergarten  meltdown , that is exactly what's driving the crowds right now .   Nothing more and nothing  less !      The inability to handle the difficulties of life ?       Your alt-left is ill prepared for any defeat at all .       A pacifier and a baby-sitter  is more likely the need of these people on the streets ,       scream sessions ,   safe spaces , blanky's ?    What's next for  the requirement to reach adulthood .   Candy  cane laced voting ballots ,   diaper  wrapped  presidential candidates?

My advice -  mature up !

2. Live to Learn profile image59
      Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Aime I think the main problem is your last paragraph. These thing are not gaining. They have been a part of the fabric of any society since societies came into existence. The major portion of the voters who elected this man are not any of those things.

Kids, of they can't think clearly enough to attempt to understand that many, many factors are involved in choosing an elected representative would be better served with help in learning to think in broader terms than how to assuage hurt feelings when things don't go their way.

Are we to look forward to a workforce which demands Lego blocks in the office? Group scream sessions?

1. Aime F profile image71
        Aime Fposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Would you prefer if I said those things were stabilizing rather than gaining?  Sure, whatever.

You are asking everyone to fully acknowledge that not everyone who voted for Trump voted for those things, and that's fair.  But don't you think it's also fair to acknowledge that he has said some things, and now appointed some people, that feel very threatening to certain groups of people?  Whether you voted for those things or not, they are there.  If you want people to understand where you're coming from then you need to try to understand where they're coming from, too. 

No one can think with a clear, logical mind at all times.  We have all been in situations where our emotions get the better of us.  Now not only are you guys criticizing these people for being emotional, you're criticizing how they're trying to deal with being emotional and get to thinking clearly. 

You're criticizing people for protesting in the streets and being disruptive but when they try to channel it in a more peaceful, calming manner (the colouring, the Lego, the talking) you're still criticizing.

Essentially what you want is for them to shut up or not feel it at all. 

"Are we to look forward to a workforce which demands Lego blocks in the office? Group scream sessions?"

I don't know.  What if we found that it helped people's productivity or social interactions?  What if we found that it made for healthier minds and clearer thinking?

1. Live to Learn profile image59
          Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I fully support the right to protest. I don't support violence. But, let's think about it. What are they protesting? The democratic process at work? What appears to be an election which ran smoothly and without undue influence? Should this be the new norm after all elections for those whose candidate lost?

I'm not asking anyone to acknowledge anything.
          What I'm wondering is why adults need legos, coloring books and crying sessions to deal with life.
          The only people that I know that need those things are children (and I will buy into the concept that all people above the age of 18 aren't adults) and those in an insane asylum.
          So, if you're asking me to accept that adults in colleges are actually 18+ year old children who haven't learned to deal with life and reality, I'd buy that.
          But, to try and justify immature behavior in order to survive is ridiculous, at best.
          What would be good for college students is group sessions that explain:
          1) You don't get a trophy in life for just showing up
          2) Things don't always go your way
          3) It's a sign of maturity to accept these facts
          4)  Go to work doing the necessary things to achieve the goals you want
          5) It's a waste of time, money, energy and resources to throw temper tantrums that destroy property and hurt people
          6) If you want to throw temper tantrums, get ready to be disciplined .
          Now, if Universities had those types of coping mechanisms in place right now, I'd be all for it.
          Cheers

Are you somehow under the impression that giving people colouring books and Lego is teaching them that they can always get what they want?  Unless what they wanted was colouring books and Lego then that's irrelevant.

Giving them positive coping mechanisms is a way to maturely accept the fact that things don't always go your way. 

Yes, I agree that destroying property and hurting people is unacceptable.  Hence the positive coping mechanisms.  Many people have not been taught how to deal with emotions when they cannot just shut them down because of the "just suck it up" mentality.  They lash out physically or emotionally because they don't know how to channel it when it becomes overwhelming (and at some point we will all become overwhelmed).

Please keep in mind that we are talking about college/university students.  They are probably one of the last groups of people that need to be reminded to work hard to reach their goals.  Being emotional does not negate the fact that they are probably working to pay for their education (on top of actually working hard in school) in order to help them reach their goals. 

The things you listed are not coping mechanisms.  You can teach people those things without abandoning empathy and understanding.  Being a mature/responsible adult and expressing/working through feelings are not mutually exclusive.  In fact I'd argue quite the opposite.

Anime,
              This is pretty simple.
              You think adults need legos, coloring books and crying sessions in order to cope with life.
              I think it's a crock, and they need to grow up.
              I won't change my mind on that.
              And I don't think you'll change your views that adults need to be coddled and pampered.
              You're telling me that if college grad doesn't get a job he/she thinks is deserved, the solution is to go home and color in books, play with legos and cry.
              Your idea of a grown up is a lot different than mine.
              Cheers

3. The Old Guard profile image60

Aime,
      Yupper, you've bought it hook, line  and sinker.
      Pandering to spoiled children is always an option.
      So's a spanking.
      I think your rationale, justifying the use of coloring books, legos, crying sessions  to "calm" snowflakes down vs. getting them to grow up, is one of the motivating factors behind Trumps victory.
      Common sense folk, us "deplorable" people, just ain't buying what you're sellin'
      Cheers

You know, I hope that one day my daughter grows up able to know exactly what she's feeling and when to ask for help.  I hope she acknowledges those feelings and tries to understand where they're coming from instead of pushing them away and letting them fester for the sake of "being a grown-up".  I believe that understanding our own emotions and working through them helps us better understand how others are feeling and how we can help them work through things as well.

I hope that when my daughter grows up she is able to channel her anger and her fear in a way that does not harm anyone else.  I hope she is able to work through it calmly.

I hope she grows up to be surrounded by people who turn to colouring books and bubbles instead of guns or bombs when they're feeling scared or hopeless. 

I'm not buying or selling anything.  I want what's best for people, what's best for my daughter in the future.  We clearly have very different ideas on how to get there.

8. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 7 years ago

How do you deal with disappointment, pain, and stress? 

Have you never cried?

Have you never turned to something that comforted you?

In September I went to visit my aunt who has advanced brain cancer.  It had gotten so bad that she was forgetting people, forgetting most of her life, and thought everyone she loved that she did remember was hurting her by keeping her in a hospital all the time.  I visited her every day for a week and was so emotionally exhausted and heartbroken by the end of that week that I pulled over at a park on the way back to my mom's place to sit and cry in a peaceful spot. 

The park had a kid's splash park in the middle of it.  A sign that said "Ages 5-12" in front of it.  It was cold so no one was there but the water still came on if you hit the button.  There were like ten different fountains spraying in all directions, big buckets that dropped water at unexpected intervals, and a little pool in the middle. 

I took off my sweater, shoes, socks, rolled my pants up and ran in.  I literally ran around a damn children's waterpark by myself, a 27-year-old woman, having way more fun than I could have imagined and letting everything go for nearly an hour.  I'm sure anyone who saw me thought I was an absolute idiot.  They didn't know why I was there or that I was in pain.

I got back in the car, soaking wet, feeling ridiculous but also the most happiness and peace that I had felt all week.  It was cathartic.  It was not in the least bit the "adult" thing to do by most people's standards, I'm sure.  I suppose a "real" adult would have just gone from point A to B, keeping it together, with dry clothes on.

I didn't need to do it to survive.  I would have gotten through the day and the rest of my life without it.  But it made things a little brighter for me that day, so what's the problem?  It didn't make my aunt get any better, just like colouring some pictures in a book will not change the election results, and that's not the point.  The point is not to change the world and how it treats you by doing something a little bit silly, the point is to deal with the pain and the stress of it all in a way that makes you happier or calmer in the thick of it.

I agree that it is simple.  Do what makes you happy as long as it is not at the cost of others.  Do whatever helps you get through the day.  Picking up a crayon or building a cat out of Lego or running through a waterpark does not define anyone or their ability to be an adult.

1. profile image0

Excellent, Aime. You nailed it.

Cmon a heartbreaking personal tragedy is not the same as a politician losing. Also whats up yall Canadians? Ive seen Candians swimming in 50 degree Atlantic.  Who takes off a sweater and goes swimming?  I swear if a Canadian was aboard the Titanic theyd have swam home using icebergs for life jackets.

1. profile image0

Regarding a heartbreaking personal tragedy not being the same as losing an election....true. But can we agree that they can both be distressing to varying degrees to different people? Just like the death of a pet is not the same as the death of a family member, but most people would acknowledge they are both distressing.

Canadians are like polar bears. Mostly white and excellent swimmers. wink

Yes, exactly, thank you.

I actually hate swimming and I usually detest cold water but who among us hasn't looked at one of those awesome splash parks and wished there weren't any kids around so they could shamelessly play in it?  The cold was the trade-off.  Worth it.

2. Aime F profile image71

This is probably where the disconnect comes from.

For a lot of people this election was not just "a politician losing," in fact I'd be willing to bet that very few people are hurt over Hillary Clinton not being elected.  For a lot of people it's the fear of being marginalized even further, of having the progressive rights they've fought for crumble, of not knowing how many of their neighbours voted for a man who made hurtful and inappropriate comments because they agree with them.  For some people I'm sure it feels like a personal tragedy. 

But ultimately it was not meant to be a comparison of exact circumstances, it was meant to illustrate that sometimes doing stupid sh*t helps and unless it's hurting someone I don't see the point in being critical about it.

If the issue is that you just don't think people should be hurt over the entire situation then that's a bigger gap to overcome.  Perhaps the college kids can build a bridge with the Lego. wink

Marginalized progressive rights... If you could keep a million people on twitter from getting their feelings hurt or stop a heroin/fetanyl epidemic from killing 15,000 people this year,  which would you choose and how would you do it.

9. Kathleen Cochran profile image79
    Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years ago

There parents stopped thinking like intelligent adults.  But then we, as a country, stopped valuing that.  What did we expect to happen?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)