Hubbie Awards

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (35 posts)
  1. bravewarrior profile image88
    bravewarriorposted 7 years ago

I don't mean to come off as ungrateful, but I received my Hubbie Award mug today and I'm disappointed. All other awards I've seen in life, whether in the form of a plaque, certificate, or trophy, have displayed the award winner's name and for what they were awarded.

As you'll see by the photo, my award says "TurboFuture". First of all, what does that mean??? My winning article was about combating plagiarism. How does that relate to TurboFurture?

Secondly, how will I know the significance of this mug should I come down with Alzheimer's or pass it down to family members? It looks like an advertisement, at best.

There's plenty of room on the mug to emboss the writer's pen name (or real name) and the year of the win. Perhaps even the title of the winning article.

What are you thoughts? Am I simply being an ingrate?

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13275191_f1024.jpg

1. Faith Reaper profile image82
      Faith Reaperposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sha, I haven't received mine from winning on Calorie Bee yet, but I knew it will have the niche site name on it from reading. When I won in past years on HubPages, my mug does have Faith Reaper. I also chose a t-shirt one year and another year, the HubPages notebook. So, I'm okay with it, being I already have  a mug with Faith Reaper.

bravewarriorposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Lucky you, Faith. However, that doesn't help us first time winners. I new the mugs would have the niche site's name on them, but I expected something more personal like having my name stamped on it.

2. kenneth avery profile image80
      kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@bravewarrior,
      I was blessed to win a mug two years ago and I still use and treasure it. I am not being difficult, but you should be grateful that many people voted for you to win this award.
      Deal?

I am grateful, Kenneth. I was definitely doing the happy dance when I saw that I'd won.

Does your mug have your name on it?

3. manatita44 profile image73
      manatita44posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Congrats Shauna,

I did not know of this. I rarely follow. Yes, your name and a date would be good, as well as Hub Pages. It TurboFuture is the niche site, then I can see why they would want to promote it.

I would have gone for the full works:
      Presented to: Shauna Bowling.
      For: An outstanding Article on TurboFuture.
      Dated 5th October, 2016. Only then does it become worthwhile.

But then they are not me and each letter would cost so much, if the engraver is not a empathetic or a friend. Actually, you can do this yourself but you shouldn't have to, and it would cost, as I mentioned.
      Perhaps you can live like me, just serve, do not worry about expectations. Much Love, my Sweet.

Thanks Manatita. I would have been fine with:

Bravewarrior
        Best Article in TurboFuture.com

1. manatita44 profile image73

Yes, that's cool too. Do your friends call you that?

I am known pretty much everywhere as Manatita by Friends. My Guruji gave me the name in 1989. It means, Beyond the Mind -- In The Heart of Our Lord Beloved Supreme.

Good to see you. Have you read my last Hub? Number 400 and final. Aah!

No, my close friends call me Sha. Everyone else calls me Shauna.

I'm afraid I've once again fallen behind in my reading. 400 and final? Does that mean you're leaving HP, Manatita? I sure hope not!

1. manatita44 profile image73

Hi Sha,

I will sometimes do the little things I'm doing now, but mostly I will attend to my books. I've already started and your man's approach has been good for business, says some Americans. I'm heading for the millionaire status (sweet chuckle)

You have my email address. Please stay in touch.

2. MsDora profile image94
    MsDoraposted 7 years ago

I received mine too, and I am grateful.  However, like you Shauna, I was disappointed in not seeing my name. We will have to explain the mug and what it means to those who ask.  Perhaps, our continuous explanations will help keep Alzheimer's and memory loss at bay (smile).

I'm hoping the HP gods will find this forum and make the appropriate changes moving forward. When writers are recognized for their outstanding contributions, their names should appear on the awards.

I've bragged to my workmates that I won an award for my writing, but I surely won't take it to work to show off. It could have been something I picked up at a garage sale. No proof that my work won an award.

Bummer.

HP, are you listening?

3. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 7 years ago

That's a bit strange - I received a mug last year and it had my name. This year they asked for my name again (but have yet to receive my mug - probably because I live in Australia).

As for the name of the site, if you won an award for that niche site, that's the logo of the niche site that'll be on your mug.

In terms of people 'knowing' the name Turbo Future I think branding is starting to work already - I have seen lots of mentions of them and it appears many people aren't aware of the association with Hubpages, so they are slowly building as known names.

WryLit, I know it's the name of the niche site. It's just that the name itself isn't clear about the contents. To me it sounds like it would be about engines. Regardless, it would be nice if they'd put a .com after the site name.

Additionally, I think our names and "best article in..." would be a nice gesture.

4. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 7 years ago

I too am still waiting for my mug (I am in Australia too). I imagine that all winners as best of a niche site will have the "niche site's" name on it. Those who won "Best All Round Hubber" will probably have their name. This is disappointing and I envisage mine will say "PetHelpful" but at least my hub was about pets. Hopefully next year they will include the hubber's name on all of them.

1. sallybea profile image93
      sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Still waiting for mine so can't really offer any comment.

1. ChristinS profile image40
        ChristinSposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Me too, I wrote to make sure I didn't miss the package or something and Christy said it would take up to a couple of months (from when we won) and she would send emails out when they were about to be delivered.

I got that message too, Christin. I never did get that second email. The mug just showed up on my doorstep yesterday, which was a nice surprise.

2. bravewarrior profile image88

Let me know if your name's on it, Sally.

2. bravewarrior profile image88

I hope so too, John. Hopefully, this will serve as a learning curve on HP's part. Simply stamping the niche site's name on the mug is no commemoration to the winner.

5. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 7 years ago

HubPages did say in the original blog announcement that the niche site winners would get a mug with the name of the site on it.

Personally, I would have been thrilled to win one, even if it just said "HubPages."

I am thrilled, Eric. As I stated above, I knew the mug would sport the niche site's title, but I wasn't aware that's all that would be there. It's not even followed by .com, so anyone who's not familiar with the HP niche sites would have no clue what it refers to.

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 7 years ago

I got a T-shirt the year I won, and I was honored to be recognized and to get anything at all. The T-shirt said Hubpages, which is fine.  If I were to win again, I think I would enjoy a mug more often than a shirt - I use mugs every day, and it would be fun to have one to remind me of HP.  The shirt is fun, too, though!

At any rate, I am just honored that I was recognized by my peers - that means a lot.

You're right, Marcy. Perhaps I'm just being a snit. LOL

7. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 7 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13291432.jpg

Well I received my mug yesterday. No name, but it looks awesome!

Beautiful! I like your choice.

2. sallybea profile image93

I am curious, did you have to pay duty on the mug?  I received a slip from the post office on Thursday asking me to pay a whacking £12.25 before they would even consider delivering my mug?   I do feel kind of sad that I have had to pay to receive my award.  Perhaps HubPages should have marked it as a 'gift' and this inconvenience could have been averted.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image89
        Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Very sorry to hear this happened. Please email me and we'll work something out. We do not want anyone to have to pay for their prizes.

Thanks, Christy, I will do, just want to be sure first that the parcel is definitely the mug!  I was not expecting anything else.
          I have paid what was asked by the Post Office.  They called it customs duty and a handling charge but so far they have not managed to deliver it yet.  Will let you know as soon as it arrives, thank you.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image89
            Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The shipping should be covered by us, but if it is indeed your package, please do let me know. Mistakes and mixups do happen and we'll get it taken care of.

Thank you, Christy.  I should know by tomorrow.  Will email you as soon as I know for sure.

2. sallybea profile image93

Hi Christy,
              My award was received safely today.  It is very nice and was beautifully packaged. Thank you so much.  I have emailed you separately.

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13297549_f248.jpg

8. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 7 years ago

I received mine last week and it looks great. I didn't have to pay anything and I am in Australia. Love these mugs.

+++

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)