Why Was The Twitter Button Removed From Hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Rock_nj profile image90
    Rock_njposted 7 years ago

Did HubPages provide an explanation regarding why you can no longer easily share a Hub on Twitter using a button on the Hub?  Why did they replace it with Flipboard?

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Probably just trying to find the balance between button clutter and social media sites that work. Perhaps their data show Flipboard is more effective than Twitter.  They also removed the button to share a hub with your followers internally on HubPages.   

I'm surprised the email button made the cut over Twitter.  By the way, when you click the email button does anything happen on  your screen?  I have tested it several times on different browsers, different niche sites, and nothing happens.  It's a dud for me.

1. sallybea profile image94
        sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it opens giving one a choice of sending the email from your own email addresses.

1. profile image0

Thanks Sally.  I wonder why nothing happens when I click it.  Oh well, I never email HP links anyway.

sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It seems to me that you don't have that choice anymore. The email will go direct from your own email account/s though perhaps you can still send one via the fan mail button.  I will have to take a look.

2. tsmog profile image83
            tsmogposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Mine opens to Microsoft Outlook. All the email queues I have ever used always have. So, I don't know what that means if one does not have Outlook.

1. profile image0

Thanks tsmog and Glenn, that's the explanation.  I don't use an email client.

3. Glenn Stok profile image96
            Glenn Stokposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Do you have an email program on your computer? Some people just use web-based emailing. If you don't have an email client (program) then the button won't be able to do anything.

It opens your email with the title of the hub in the subject and the content pre-filled with "I thought you might enjoy this article" followed by the link to the hub.

I'm guessing that the button doesn't work with web-based email. I don't see how it can.

2. Rock_nj profile image90
        Rock_njposted 7 years agoin reply to this

My email button is not working either.  I never email Hubs (kind of the old way of sharing info compared to social media).  I used the Twitter share button quite a lot.  Not sure why they felt the need to make it harder to share Hubs via Twitter.  Another head scratcher from the HubPages staff.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96

They dropped the Twitter button because it historically brought less traffic than the other sharing options. In addition, they noticed that Flipboard was bringing much more traffic than Twitter. That's why they made the change.

See Christy's post on that at http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2858647

Thanks Glenn.  I am still trying to get up to speed using Flipboard.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96

Did you see my Flipboard tutorial? Maybe it will help.

No, but I will check it out.  Thanks.

I found out about Flipboard a few months ago when a Hub of mine was getting huge traffic (1,000s of hits per day).  Someone had posted it on a popular Flipboard page that was relevant to the topic.

Dropping the Twitter link from Hubs seems short-sighted to me.  Twitter has a certain amount of presence on the Internet that having Hubs from HubPages tweeted and retweeted provides value to the HubPages brand that could bring in additional viewers and writers.  I know if I start seeing the same site being tweeted on Twitter or cited elsewhere on mainstream Internet sites, such as Facebook, I take notice and start looking at the site more closely.  In fact, I joined HubPages all those years ago because I came across a Hub that someone had posted on Facebook.  I think removing the Twitter link is a good example of the poor marketing prowess of those who run HubPages.

3. MartieCoetser profile image70
            MartieCoetserposted 6 years agoin reply to this

They have also removed Flipboard!!

sallybeaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Really, I had not even noticed.  I have done nothing with it for ages but would love Twitter back.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96
              Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This forum thread is six months old. Flipboard was also removed after I left that comment because too few people were using the button. The overhead of share buttons was not worth it. Speed of page loads is more important for SEO. You can still tweet and flip hubs directly or with their browser add on.

1. MartieCoetser profile image70
                MartieCoetserposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!

2. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 7 years ago

An auto-tweet from the HubPages site contains no more than a link and a title. If people actually care to engage with the Twitter community, they'll go through the process of using Twitter itself or an app to upload a nice image, a relevant hashtag, and a attention grabbing title, instead of just dumping a link on Twitter like a spammer and having little else to do with Twitter.

Honestly, if someone just dumps their links on Twitter and doesn't interact with their followers in any other way, I'll block the person.

A decent explanation, but like I said short-sighted.  Seeing articles show up in people's Twitter feeds gives a site a certain level of credibility and draws in new viewers. 

Kind of odd timing too, since Twitter is becoming such an important part of discourse these days with very high-profile public figures using the social media site to put out their views.  Twitter is going from irrelevant to something that people are paying more attention to and hearing about every day.  What is HubPages doing to expand their presence on this hot social networking and newsfeed site?  Apparently running in the opposite direction, by making it less convenient for its writers to post links on Twitter.

1. melbel profile image94
        melbelposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hubbers really shouldn't be sharing their hubs on Twitter, Pinterest unless they fully understand the dynamics of those social media sites. In fact, I believe at some point HubPages staff came out and said they discourage it.

A link here and there is okay, but a hubber whose Twitter feed only contains links to their hubs is a spammer. This hurts HubPages way more than it helps it.

I agree with you there.  Personally, I use Twitter for just about everything except sharing Hubs.  Mainly, I use it to follow weather developments, as you can get a lot of inside info that you can't get elsewhere from mainstream weather sources.  But, from a marketing perspective, I'd want a presence on Twitter, if I was HubPages.  Becoming a known commodity on a site like Twitter has some upside benefits.

You have 26,700 Twitter followers melbel?  That's quite impressive.  Much more than I usually see, unless it's some celebrity of some sort.

3. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

To amplify what Glenn said:   I noticed when I added Share buttons to my blog, the load time dropped drastically.  Investigating, I discovered that each button adds a piece of code, and each extra bit of code slows the load time of the page a bit more.

One of the criteria Google uses to rank a website is load time - so it's very important to get your site loading as fast as possible.  Share buttons are worth the penalty if your readers like them and use them - if they're not, then they're slowing your site down for no reason, and it's best to get rid of them.

The other point - if readers really like an article, they will share it anyway, with or without the buttons.  The buttons are a convenient way for writers to share their own Hubs BUT that's another reason not to have them.  HubPages regularly gets banned from sites like Pinterest because too many Hubbers mindlessly over-share their own Hubs.

1. melbel profile image94
      melbelposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing this point (it's a pet peeve of mine.)

Rock_njposted 6 years agoin reply to this

If the share buttons increase the load time significantly, then it makes sense to remove them.  Thanks for the info.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)