Give me evidence of paid protesters

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (18 posts)
  1. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

I'm sure there is a bot that can scour craigslist for this. 

I say it's total B.S. in order to delegitimize any peaceful public protest.

Now this: http://tucson.com/news/local/crime/unde … bd07b.html

SB 1142  Claiming people are being paid to riot, Republican state senators voted Wednesday to give police new power to arrest anyone who is involved in a peaceful demonstration that may turn bad — even before anything happens.

For example, he said, a “tea party” group wanting to protest a property tax hike might get permits, publicize the event and have a peaceful demonstration.

“And one person, possibly from the other side, starts breaking the windows of a car,” Farley said. “And all of a sudden the organizers of that march, the local tea party, are going to be under indictment from the county attorney in the county that raised those property taxes. That will have a chilling effect on anybody, right or left, who wants to protest something the government has done.”

http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-those-who-make-peaceful-revolution-impossible-will-make-violent-revolution-inevitable-john-f-kennedy-15-61-65.jpg

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I really expect this to run afoul of the constitution as well as basic freedoms.  While I can see being part of a riot, whether you break a window or not, might work (accessory to a crime or something), being arrested and penalized before anything happens is a whole different topic.  Seems like intent would have to be proven in court and even then it would be shaky.

2. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

This is frightening stuff from a desperate right wing that simply is terrified of any dissent, peaceful or not, against the machinations of their Chosen One. It is a tawdry assault on the principles of free speech that must be resisted at any and all cost.

Progressives must put the spotlight on tyrannical actions by further protest to include a resounding NO to the Trump Regime.

The Courts will laugh such a law out from its chambers when it's constitutionality is evaluated.

1. RJ Schwartz profile image86
        RJ Schwartzposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Desperate in whose eyes?  When protesters destroy property, threaten public safety, and try to silence free speech, they're violating others rights and they lose any protections.

1. Credence2 profile image78

"Desperate in whose eyes?  When protesters destroy property, threaten public safety, and try to silence free speech, they're violating others rights and they lose any protections"

When anyone does the above yes. But that is not what this is all about. Can you arrest 'so called' ring leaders who themselves have not engaged in legal behavior while in protest of your Trump and his policies?

Can you arrest people who are in the protest that are not themselves breaking the law?  This isn't "Minority Report", where you can arrest people for crimes they have yet to commit. This is a attempt to silence the resistance and dissent for its own sake and it will as it must, fail. We will see to that.

"This is a attempt to silence the resistance and dissent for its own sake and it will as it must, fail."

No it's not - that is merely a completely unjustified conclusion presented in order to vilify the right.  It is, plainly and simply, an effort to limit violence - something we all should want to see.  Though I agree that it will fail, perhaps it's a start to stop the senseless violence of so called "free speech" that is becoming more and more common.

1. Credence2 profile image78

Is there any concept of free speech that does meet with your approval? What about the Woman's march last 1/21. Is it possible to protest without running afoul of the Right? Is the only acceptable protest the one where everybody simply sits down and shuts up?

You and I both know that in regard to Trump, that is not possible.

I have less disruption problem with this concept than, say, the Macy's annual parade

An effort to combat violence in cities is but a ruse to attack liberals like yourself, then.

May I suggest Understanding Paranoia: A Guide for Professionals, Families, and Sufferers by Martin Kantor?  It is available at Amazon and could go a long ways in providing a better understanding.

2. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

You really will need your judiciary to stand up on these issues. Or you will be heading straight into a police state.

3. RachaelLefler profile image91
    RachaelLeflerposted 7 years ago

JFK's quote is garbage, no excuses for violent protests. They have every right to do it peacefully and yet you see many of them vandalizing others' property, blocking traffic, even beating people up. Would JFK have wanted this?

1. profile image0
      promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

History is filled with violent protests on moral grounds including the American revolution.

I haven't seen evidence that "many" of the millions who have protested so far are beating up people.

2. ptosis profile image67
      ptosisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps you need to re-read the bill
      http://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2017/02/ … -protests/

Those with unpopular political ideas have always borne the brunt of government repression. Free speech rights still need constant, vigilant protection.

According to this law if one organization had permits and all was legal as the opposition organization who would purposely destroy property knowing that the peaceful protest organization would go bankrupt with property forfeiture.

So I stand outside with a sign. Another person doesn't like what my sign says and breaks a window. All that I own is taken away from me.  Now I have nothing to lose and will stand with that same sign again. Now what are you going to take away from me - my freedom? Put me in jail because I was "blocking the sidewalk" with a "dangerous weapon" of cardboard with "sharp edges"???

Can do this with all organized protest. Break a few windows as the opposing org - the organizing org get the bill. So if Dems break thing up at a Rep rally - the Rep rally foots the bill? Does that make sense to you?

David Kearns said on February 24, 2017 , 10:20 am at 10:20 am

"These are attainder acts. These types of laws were in place during Henry VIII. Take your land and property job and station because you spoke out. "

What is ex post facto law and bill of attainder?
      Definition: A legislative act that singles out an individual or group for punishment without a trial. The Constitution of the United States, Article I, Section 9, paragraph 3 provides that: "No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law will be passed."

"These types of laws were in place during Henry VIII. Take your land and property job and station because you spoke out."

Ever since we decided that "speech" included intentional disruption of other's lives in order to gain attention we have seen a growing problem that the "speech" includes physical destruction of property and person.  Is there no end to what we can do under the label "free speech"?

While I don't think this law will survive for long (or should), I DO understand the desire for communities to protect themselves from being damaged or destroyed under the guise of free speech.

already have laws on destruction.  This is a attempt to squelch peaceful protest by having you the peaceful protester be responsible for someone else's criminal actions. Please tell me how this is justified.

Yes, we have laws on destruction.  Which are really well enforced when police back off and let the rioters do as they wish.  And then turn an attempt to actually control, or least be paid for, destruction is turned, somehow, into an attack of free speech.

But I do agree that the law will not survive, and for the very reason you bring out.  Punishing one for the crimes of another is not reasonable.

I was watching Portland OR protest last night. Used to live in Portland.  the aggressive protesters acted like $%#holes.  Wow. I am SO GLAD that I live in rural area now where all I have are bears, javelinas, coyotes  etc.

I'm going to have to lay off  watching this crap and return back to normal life outside instead of getting upset inside watch crap on the internet.

You couldn't pay me enough to live in a major city.  A suburb of a big town is quite enough, thank you.

But wasn't Portland where they were actually arresting them?  I thought I saw that somewhere.

4. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

Seems like the right is using the actions of a few disorganized hot heads to justify crushing organized political opposition. Any political organization can be swiftly destroyed with the kinds of measure you are describing.

I imagine Trump believes he has an overwhelming mandate to do whatever he wants. Bannon is the kind of extremist ideologue who will not care how he achieves his ends.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)