Did Pres. Obama's Democrat Party Overplay It's Hand?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (21 posts)
  1. GA Anderson profile image89
    GA Andersonposted 7 years ago

I would like to take credit for this thought, but I heard it first  from a news pundit.

Consider...

For progress, societal change is necessary, and inevitable, (I think), but - the larger the society, and the more fundamental the change, the more necessary it is that the progress be in increments.

For illustration only, consider an example of challenging  Christian values relative to sexuality - whether it be as simple as homosexuality, or as complex as the alphabet that is attached to the Lesbian/Gay community, which is now the LGBTQ?,  or this new Binary description of gender association.

My thinking is that such major societal changes must come an inch at a time. Folks have to have a chance to adjust their thinking. 

During Pres. Obama's eight years, I think the homosexuality issue made major strides towards at least an acceptance of the perspective that 'old'  standards of thought needed some reevaluation. Then the LGBT movement brought even more consideration of the legitimacy of 'old' perspectives. I view both of these changes as positive, but I can also understand that for those with strong Christian values - these were big bites to chew on.

And then... the bathroom thing - geesh, now where you pee is a national dialog.

Did the Democrats push too far too fast? Should they have celebrated their inches of progress instead of demanding a mile?

GA

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree that they probably did, but at the same time have trouble with goals that are stated as one thing but the reality is that they are much grander.  The continual attempts to ban guns, the gradual chipping at abortion rights and, yes, the seemingly never ending of sexuality questions are all examples.  It's one thing to change society a step at a time, as with the sexuality, it's quite another to take small bites from things like abortion and gun rights with the ultimate goal being far different from what is stated at this point.  Maybe because the whole sex thing is continuing to evolve and we continue to discover just how ignorant most of us are of both the trials faced by some and of just how widespread it really is.

Politically it may make good sense to chip at abortion a tiny bite at a time, but emotionally...well, it just seems like the fight will never end.  That compromise is not possible because as soon as we compromise then more is demanded and it starts all over.  I don't like that feeling, that if I compromise it just means that the rest of the fight is still going on - that no compromise will ever be enough.

2. profile image0
      promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The extreme left and extreme right always push too far. Unfortunately, they have a lot of money backing them up.

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

G.A.,   One ,   I think everyone agrees  at this point that the left swung way left with the Obama nomination ! It also appears that the DNC  has decided  that left of left center is the new agenda. .
    Two , America in general moves slightly back and forth  but the BIGGER problem with the lefts direction  ,    is the continued  vastly divisive" personality " WITHIN  the ideology  itself.

In other words , you can't get two  people to agree on the same priorities of issues.

3. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 7 years ago

I think you are probably right. LGBT issues did need to be addressed. I do think the bathroom thing was a bit much when it extended into our schools. I think we probably needed time to become accustomed to adult differences . Time to become more familiar with when these differences became 'written in stone' so to speak. I'll be honest. It seems to me that the LGBT thing is being pushed harder and harder in a demand for acceptance. I don't watch a lot of tv anymore but it seemed that every show I watched had some homosexuality aspect within it. When most estimates of the rate of homosexuality within a population is 2-10 % I see 100% inclusion in all aspects of our entertainment options as an agenda, not a reflection of life.

I also read an article about how to determine if your news source was unbiased. One of the criteria they listed was to make sure there were homosexuals working for the news agency. I have no idea what that has to do with fair and balanced reporting.

1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

If someone would have told me that I would see two men kissing on broadcast standard national television just 25 years ago, I would have said that they were nuts. We seem to so quickly immerse everybody into this, what I believe is a radical change. I am still a Neanderthal about the issue surrounding what gender uses what bathroom with all this gender identity stuff, etc.

It just seemed to me that the concept of racial inclusion in broader areas of national life, the commercial media for example, took longer and was not as precipitous.

Don't you see it as building on itself?  Not, of course, in more rights all the time for a specific minority, but more rights for everyone?

Blacks got rights, so women decided they should have the rights that everyone else did.  Then gays made the same demand, followed by more sexuality based groups.  Everyone wants the same rights that others have, and as minorities get them it makes others realize that they can have them too!

Eventually maybe we'll get to where all are considered equally worthy of being considered "just people", albeit different than ourselves.  We can hope.

1. profile image0
          ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13426734_f1024.jpg

There is one  line of thought in liberal politics  "What do I get  out of it "? Simple.

On the whole, I'd have to say that it is the right that is holding us back in the race to equality for everyone.  Certainly it is the religious right fighting to discriminate based on sexual issues.

1. profile image0

Since when did life promise equality to everyone .    I though  It is only the agenda of the left  that believed , no demanded - wealth redistribution from those who equally or unequally earned it and those  who feel entitled to own  " their share "of all the  wealth and labors of others ?

Neither life nor nature promises equality - indeed, both promise as much inequality as possible.  "Might makes right" and "survival of the fittest" are the law of nature, but then nature does not have morals or ethics.

Hopefully we can do better.

2. Credence2 profile image79

Equality is the basis of a peaceful society or have you ever learn this simple concept in a grade school civics class?

1. profile image0

Equality in government  representation does NOT equality in  entitlement  !

2. Credence2 profile image79

Ok, but but if the Right to equality and equal treatment under the law were not denied to so many on the outside in the first place, we wouldn't need to have this discussion.Shouldn't we all have equal rights from the start? Then we have avoided all the confusion later.

I am not keen on all this LBGT stuff, but as long as they are my fellow citizens of the United States, I have to fight for their right to equality as vigorously as I have fought for my own.

"Ok, but but if the Right to equality and equal treatment under the law were not denied to so many on the outside in the first place, we wouldn't need to have this discussion."

Yes, of course.  That should have been explained in the middle ages when it was required to be Christian.  Or in the 1600's to slave owners.  Or the 1800's to women. 

Man has always discriminated against others - that we are beginning to change that is to our credit, not something to hold against us.

"Man has always discriminated against others - that we are beginning to change that is to our credit, not something to hold against us"

True, but it has always came at a very steep price, just need to keep moving in the correct path rather reverting backwards.

No argument from me, and you will always find me on the side of treating everyone the same.  Almost, anyway - the legal, required discrimination of affirmative action did some good and I support what was done.  No longer, but at the time it was necessary even though people were NOT treated equally.

Commendable, Wilderness. The only problem tha remains is there still many people that have yet to get the message..

I am glad that you were willing to admit to a place for Affirmative Action as a remedy for the seething inequities of the past.

I "admit" to no such thing...at this time.  In the past it was a solution that produced positive results even though incredibly offensive to the ethics and morality of the question.  The ends justified the means, in other words, in this one instance.

Yes, there are a great many people that haven't gotten the message.  The racists, the homophobes, the far right religious coalition and yes, those that determine it is a good thing to demand one give up what they have so it can be it to another.

2. Live to Learn profile image60
        Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Took longer? For sure. And, even today I think there is racial inequality in the entertainment industry. Ever notice if people are going to die the black man is the first to go? In almost every show?

That is astute of you. I did not think that whites notice subtle barbs like that. But to be honest, until you told me, I did not know either. I will be watching to check for this phenomenon.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)