How Will the New Amazon Affiliate Changes Affect HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (35 posts)
  1. KeithTax profile image73
    KeithTaxposted 7 years ago

Amazon changed their affiliate program yesterday by cutting the payout for most affiliates by half or more. Has HubPages addressed how these changes will affect content providers here?

1. sallybea profile image93
      sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Always something, maybe we should consider using e-Bay again.

2. SylviaSky profile image92
      SylviaSkyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

When I placed Amazon links on my hubs, Hubpages (in niche-ing my work to "Exemplore") removed them.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's probably because the ads were irrelevant and/or no real information about the products was provided.

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 7 years ago

We have a non standard agreement with Amazon and they haven't approached us about changing it, but we saw the changes as well.

Thanks, Paul that is somewhat reassuring.

2. KeithTax profile image73
      KeithTaxposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Paul. That was the answer I was looking (and hoping) for.

3. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 7 years ago

Just for those that come here and don't know about it: https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/he … _228039340

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I'm trying to make sense of it and I'm so confused in what the actual changes are - have you seen any good blog links with explanations?

Which part are you confused about?

Basically what Amazon did is this: They've removed the tiered system. There is no more volume based incremental percentage on sales(other than special promotions/categories, if any).

You will now be paid at a fixed commission rate depending on the Amazon Category the product falls under.

If your product category is not mentioned you will earn a 4% commission on the product whether you sell 1 or 100. And if you sell luxury items for instance you get 10% whether you sell 1 or 100.

1. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 7 years agoin reply to this

There were already fixed commissions on a range of products (although some were up to 15% previously).

However it looks as if this gives users more control over what they earn; for instance anyone writing in pet products, home improvement and fashion can immediately get a higher commission without selling 130+ products to reach it. There's no mention of any changes to the Amazon bounty program, which means we can still get nice commissions on baby registry signups, Amazon prime and other Amazon programs.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like this may make it easier for many affiliates, as long as they choose their products and topics with care?

You are right. Amazon depends heavily on their affiliate program (they do have the brand name, but affiliates are a major part of their business). They will never make it harder for people to earn.

In my case, on my range hood site, I was always earning a fixed 4% as it was in the appliances sector. It's still going to remain the same in my case.

But as you say the bounty program, etc. are not changed (so far).

Yup, it does make it a lot easier for many affiliates to earn more than what they were getting in the past (on their own websites and blogs). May not be the case here on HP as there's almost always a 8% fee (if I'm not wrong, I never used the HP Amazon program) and as Paul says they have some sort of direct contract with Amazon.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 7 years ago

I rarely make any Amazon sales so the changes will make little difference to me, I guess. Half of nothin'  is nothin'.

Sales have been amazing and still amount to more than half my earnings, especially over the past few months.

5. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

Amazon is constantly pushing affiliates in one direction or another. Too many people selling TV's? Cut the commission. Not enough people selling bath mats? Boost the reward.

Amazon will always tell affiliates they are responding to their demands, of course.

The worrying thing is Amazon's market dominance. As soon as there is no competition, commission will simply fall across the board.

Isn't there always going to be competition? It should only increase now that more and more small businesses are choosing to sell online directly via their own website..

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Google seems very picky when it comes to affiliates, so as far as content marketing goes, there appears to be no near rival to Amazon.

Also:

55% of online shoppers check Amazon.com first

Amazon took 53% of all of the sales growth of online retailers in the U.S. last year. For comparison, Wal-Mart's overall U.S. sales increased just 3.3%

6. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 7 years ago

We received a stock message about the changes, so we are expecting them to modify our fee schedule. Once we know the details, we will share them.

7. toptengamer profile image87
    toptengamerposted 7 years ago

That's unfortunate. Looks like this is about a 15-20% drop in commission for most. Perhaps, you'll have the ability to negotiate further; however, from what I'm seeing from other large affiliates, it's unlikely.

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm too lazy to try and parse all those variables but if there are significant overall declines in income for publishers, it will certainly be another nail in the coffin of, well... the internet.

Deciding not to be alarmist, just yet, lol.

8. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 7 years ago

Excuse me but 4% is 50% of 8%; that would be cutting our commissions in half.  Right now as an affiliate, I earn 4% on the first 7 items I sell. After that it jumps to 6%, until I sell 30 items, when it jumps to 6.5%. Often I sell 113+ items bringing the commision rate up to 7%. This change is terrible, but to be expected. I see a quarter of my income evaporating with this change.

But on some items you're going to be making a higher cut. On the whole it may decrease, but not necessarily by 50%?

1. Solaras profile image95
        Solarasposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I am not aware of any luxury items in the pet supply market.

Oh - I found your link and pet products are in the 8% category. I'll shut my mouth now lol.

lol

If anyone, I should be the one complaining, my niche was always at 4% and still is. The occasional unrelated buys were always at 7% or so, it may not be the case now.

Don't you have some gardening hubs?  I see lawn and garden is in the 8% commission category.

Well, HP isn't my main focus online wink I have a website in the Appliance niche. I do make some sales from my gardening hubs, but not that many since they are seasonal.

2. toptengamer profile image87
      toptengamerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

A lot of the areas were already at 4% and 2.5%. Also, several areas are staying above 4%. It's net about 15 to 20% for an affiliate that gets max tier. I've done calculations that have come to right around that amount and have heard from others as well. That being said I'm comparing with normal rates and HubPages has some favorable rates that may make it a somewhat more substantial decrease.

9. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 7 years ago

It looks like Amazon is favoring the small affiliates by removing the tiered system of payments. However, the percentage cuts in most of the categories will hurt the larger affiliates. 

Since HubPages is considered as one large affiliate rather than each Hubber as an individual, this is not a good thing for us.

Since half my HP earnings comes from Amazon, I expect to take hit. But that all depends on how the non-standard agreement that HubPages has with Amazon is written. We'll just have to wait to see how that works out. As Paul said, he will let us know the details once that's determined.

10. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 7 years ago

Just did some analysis on sales I received for the last 90 days - if HP get the same % rates that are published - then I will lose about 60% of my amazon revenue.

Ugh!!!

The majority of the items I sold were 8.5% - I sell mostly toys which are down to 3% and some computer equipment which is down to 2.5%.

Overall I was averaging about 8% - now it looks like I'll average about 3%

Ouch. That would be sad.

11. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 7 years ago

Has management heard anything else on this from Amazon? I see it has taken effect on my personal account, but the old rates still apply at HP.  If they make a change here, is it possible it will be applied retroactively?

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I get Amazon sales almost every day and I also still see the old rate throughout March on HubPages Amazon earnings.

I wouldn't worry about reported earnings being reduced retroactively because there is a star (*) next to the Amazon sales that are "incomplete or unaudited earnings, value may change" — as it says at the bottom.

As of today those stars are gone already for the entire first week of March, which means the amount listed in the report will not change.

I hope HP is big enough to just hold onto the 8% across the board for everyone.

12. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 7 years ago

I just switched over to the HP Amazon program now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)