Is Carbon Dioxide a pollutant?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (42 posts)
  1. jackclee lm profile image83
    jackclee lmposted 7 years ago

The EPA has been regulating emissions for quite some times. It is mandated with protecting our environment like water and air...
    Lately, it had put much resources and emphasis on climate change.
    The question becomes is CO2 a pollutant gas and does the EPA have any jurisdiction on its regulation?
    The answer to that question may surprise most people.

1. Credence2 profile image80
      Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

It is my opinion that the Earth's biosphere is unique and fragile. Any man made activity thatposes a danger, like the ozone crisis of a few years back can have adverse effects regarding life on Earth. To have a profligate and resistant attitude, like hunting a species mindlessly and selfishly to its extinction is at the heart of Conservative type thinking. The sort we can carelessly use and abuse because there will always be more? While I do not qualify as an engineer of any sort in these matters, common sense says that it is stupid to take a cavalier attitude about such things, the ramifications of being profligate and wasteful having yet to be fully appreciated or understood.

We also know that CO2 at elevated levels in the atmospheric mix can be an asphyxiant. Even oxygen,what  is it they said about oxygen ' too much will make you high, too little, you die'? The point I make is balance, the current balance works fine, lets not tamper with things unnecessarily, for even a sparrow is smart enough not to fowl its own nest.

jackclee lmposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'll have to disagree on your perception of conservatives. I don't know where you get the idea that conservatives are not for preserving our environment. We belive thst God gave man dominion over the earth and that includes taking care of the animals and the land...and air...
        After all, we live here just as everyone one including liberals...
        With regard to CO2 and climate change, that is also where we disagree. God gave us fossil fuels because it is the most efficient form of energy. It is cheap and easy to transport and allow many people around the world to improve their living standards.
        It is arrogant for some humans to believe we can control the climate when it us complicated and vast.

It is a free country and we are going to disagree.

First of all what has God has to do with it? This is your God based on YOUR interpretation of scripture. My God says to me that we are stewards of the Earth and woe to those that 'hurt it'.

My grandmother used coal to heat her house, we don't generally today

I lived in The Inland Empire, east of Los Angeles during the seventies and the air pollution was horrendous. Thanks to the EPA, which the conservatives seem to hold in derision, the area has finally been witness to blue skies again.

Use is not abuse. God also gave us brains to evolve and improve. If many of the developing societies like China and India wanted American style standards of living the pressure on global natural resources would be intolerable. Can we rid the world of dependence uponfossil fuels which really is technology of the past and move toward the future overnight? No. But, what makes me a liberal is that I recognize that we need to be going in this direction toward cleaner energy sources and sources without a prospect of being depleted in the forseeable future as the energy demands of the world continues to increase. Not accepting the status quo as a given.

I am still looking at biomass forms and the elusive nuclear fusion which seems to ALWaYS remain 'just around the corner'

That's the difference between liberals and conservative. We believe in proven technologies and not wishful thinking like solar and renewables. Without the subsidies, those technologies will not be competitive for a very long time. I do believe we are talking about the same God. Who created the heaven and the earth and all the animals and plants to us... conservatives does not believe in waste and abuse no more than liberals. We just don't think the EPA has the mandate to shut down coal plants due to climate change.

credence2, I noticed you have not answered my original question. What do you think about CO2? Is it a pollutant or not?

1. wilderness profile image95
                wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

CO2 is a waste product of the human body.  Regardless of how other organisms might like it (plants love CO2, for instance), for our purposes it pollutes our environment just like any waste produce we produce.

CO2 is not a pollutant. It is part of the Carbon cycle for life on earth. A more potent greenhouse gas is water vapor and Methane. The whole fossil fuel debate has been politicized by the environmental green party. CO2 has little to do with the environment. We can protect our air and water without cutting out fossil fuel as a cheap source of energy.

1. wilderness profile image95
                    wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

So is feces (a part of the cycle of life on earth).  But put it into a stream, or anywhere else it can come into contact with people, and it's instantly a pollutant...to humans.  To the bacteria that live in it, not so much. 

The ubiquitous plastic in our lives is great...until it is waste, whereupon it's a pollutant.  The tin can holding our food is wonderful...until it's waste, whereupon it's a pollutant.  The point is that anything we consider "waste" is a pollutant to us, and that includes CO2.

2. Credence2 profile image80

I qualify the answer, it CAN be a pollutant if it is found in excess quantity in our atmosphere beyond its current trace amount.

You do realize you and I and all animals exhale CO2.

Of course, Jacklee, that is basic biology. But you miss my point and Wilderness touched on it, too many waste products in the environment constitutes pollution. That is CO2, human wastes etc., we produce those as well, but would you have a problem safely living in a cesspool? The balance works to sustain life here on Earth and we need to adhere to it closely. Ever been to Venus? Most of its atmosphere is CO2.We can see there what CO2 does as a greenhouse gas. So this gas in excess is anything but harmless.

2. jackclee lm profile image83

Just for background reference -
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide

3. jackclee lm profile image83

Here are some other greenhouse gases -
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_gas

4. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 7 years ago

NF3 is on the rise from all those solar panels the EPA wanted to reduce CO2. 

1,057 percent increase in US annual emissions of NF3 from 1990 to 2015 compares to an increase of 5.6 percent in carbon dioxide.
    * http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/01/solar … -than-co2/

Turns out NF3 is 17,200 times more potent than CO2 as a greenhouse gas.  Oops!  ... (More truth bombs will be coming out, I'm sure...sure are a lot of them lately.) 

Incompetence? I'm not so sure.  I do now that when Trump won the election the heads of the EPA were scared.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)