God gave us a conscience

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (37 posts)
  1. lovetherain profile image79
    lovetherainposted 6 years ago

This is evidence that God is good, and wants us to be the same.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Or that we evolved one, along with the brain that creates it, as a useful tool for increasing reproduction of the species.

Personally, I think that if God was designing and giving our conscience it would be more in line with His own morals.  I don't hate gays, for instance, and won't persecute them.  I won't claim black skin is a sign of inferiority, and I won't try and force others to to accept my unsupported beliefs as true.  All part of the conscience.

lovetherainposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I think that if God was designing and giving our conscience it would be more in line with His own morals

what do you mean, "more in line with his own morals"

The morals of the Christian god, as evidenced by his actions and instructions in the old testament, are abysmal.  The are the morals of the uncivilized barbarians that inhabited our planet at the time - morals that mankind outgrew long ago.

So if He is providing the central control of our morals - our conscience - I would expect it to be more along the lines of what existed thousands of years ago.

I don't believe in the Christian God, and the Christian God is not whom I have referred to in this thread.

1. colorfulone profile image79
              colorfuloneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

What god are you referring to, to make it clear for everyone.

Not the God of any religion.

The God I have experienced and know to be the true God. He is the one who can activate our chakras, so we can begin spiritual growth. He is the one who holds up our faults as a mirror so we know what to change about ourselves.

A new age god religion is what you are referring to then.  Do you have a name for this god?

Nope. He's never told me.

2. lovetherain profile image79

If you mean "new age" to be the Precession of the Equinoxes, and the fact that we are leaving Pisces and entering Aquarius soon. Yes, this is very important. Aquarius in one of the four cardinal points, and the midpoint in the Precession. Expect Earth changes, in climate and weather. Most likely an ice age.

So do you believe morals are subjective? Are there any that are not?

Probably not, although the Golden Rule comes very, very close.  All others that I can think of have been used by some cultures at some times, but not all and certainly not all individuals.  They are thus subjective; designed and created by the people of the culture they live in. 

Evolution has played a part, but in the main any morals it has produced boils down to the Golden Rule and a few examples (that I wouldn't call a "moral") that aid in the survival of the species.  Protect pregnant women, for instance.

"Protect pregnant women, for instance." Interesting. I have never heard of animals doing this, only humans. Have you? I might have to look into that.

I haven't either, but I never intended to imply that animals do that.  Wouldn't surprise me though, particularly in the apes and cetaceans, and certainly many animals protect each other, including if not limited to pregnant females.

I'm certain that many of the animals do protect their mothers to be, most likely not all of them do, but at least those that mate for life.  That is interesting.

Yes, sorry I just got off topic because it was interesting.

2. jacharless profile image75
      jacharlessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Conscience is not the engaging of the Moral Dilemma (knowledge of right-wrong, dark-light, good-evil). Conscience is the understanding that one is alive, or rather has life. So assuming [Creator] is good because one knows they exist is subjective.

The primary use of the term conscience, from traditional human perspective points exclusively to the MD -specifically, and nearly in every instance, only through something called the Law. Abiding by a single or collective set of rules/laws, one is defined as having a good conscience, else by believing one is abiding by said laws to the best of their human ability is absolved of judgement and therefore a good person, having a clear conscience. Again, subjective.

Conscience is not yin-yang, right-wrong, good-evil, give-take, yes-no, cause-effect. It is superior to them because it is without necessity. Necessity are those things (processes) within the conscience that are interfered with to form the Moral Dilemma.

In a third instance conscience is defined as an awareness of the energy of life, in which one strives to "elevate" the self to a state of "higher" awareness, through whichever mediums are preferred to achieve a state of existence or bliss. Liken it to plucking harp strings at certain frequencies to reach or tune into said energy. Yet again, subjective.

Conscience cannot be experienced by these methods because consciousness was a provision without human request or interference, just like the mind, genetically programmed with all required information and process necessary to experience said conscience (and its ness) without human interference (static, blur, fuzzy logic, doubt, uncertainty, etc).

James

Conscience is an aptitude, faculty, intuition or judgment that assists in distinguishing right from wrong. Moral judgment may derive from values or norms (principles and rules).-Wikipedia

Are you confusing conscience with conscious?  Because conscience has nothing to do with the knowledge of being alive and everything to do with right-wrong, good-bad and morality.

1. jacharless profile image75

The OP alluded to the notion that simply because humans are aware of existence  (conscious) the Creator is "good". What I attempted to show was that "good" denotes awareness of polarity (conscience), which is the cornerstone of the Human Condition- Moral Dilemma. In both terms awareness is the fundamental. And, that the current use of either is subjective, because of human intervention versus pure experience. Stating "God is good" comes exclusively from the perspective of conscience.

OK - I missed that from the OP.  All is well.

Read the title and OP again. I never mentioned awareness, or consciousness. I specifically said conscience.

As such I would further note Creator did not give man a conscience (knowledge of polarity) with the intend for man to indulge it. And certainly not to be consumed by it, as is the current stasis. Specifically noting, from the Judeo-Christian text, the exact and most horrific events that unfolded by said indulgence. Knowing good-evil, right-wrong etc has been humanities albatross since the beginning. So again stating God is "good" in this current stasis of mind is solely from within said mind speaking outward. A clever way of justifying and managing the madness of the Human Condition-Moral Dilemma. It is in no way from a perspective of purity nor from the outward speaking in. Man says God is good or God is evil. Neither is true. And the light-speed ping pong ball continues to bounce from one filament to the next while the testimony of death sings on from his own lips.

Ok that was confusing, I understood almost none of that, especially the last half.

I did get the part where you claim God didn't give us a conscience. If not, where did it come from?

Correction: I stated Creator did not give man a conscience for him to indulge it. If fact that precise event of said indulgence was called sin.

"She was deceived but he did sin."

How do you "indulge" your conscience?

3. cheaptrick profile image73
      cheaptrickposted 6 years ago

Because that's the way he rolls James...(how are ya?)

Sorry to hijack but Hello Dean! Been a minute. I hope all is well, and you are still on that awesome nautical adventure?!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)