Was Jesus a Christian?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 6 years ago

Was Jesus a Christian?
    If yes, kindly quote from his writings. Please
    Regards

1. Live to Learn profile image62
      Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Since there was no such thing as a Christian until people started following Christ you'd have to say no.

That's kind of a dumb question.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Christian: one who believes Jesus Christ was the son of God (without defining what THAT means).  Therefore Jesus was a Christian.

Have to disagree. Christians are (or should be), by definition, followers of Christ. I don't think Christ followed himself.

1. profile image51
            paarsurreyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Nevertheless Jesus never wrote that those who follow him must be named Christians. Did Jesus wrote anything like that? Please quote from Jesus' writings. Right? Please
            Regards

Jesus didn't write anything. And, to be perfectly honest, I think worrying about what people who followed him called themselves was not something he would have found worthy of spending a moment's of time considering.

1. profile image51

Jesus would have written for the Christians if he would have thought to bring a new teaching or religion. He was a Jew and followed Moses so no need to write anything new. It is Paul who invented Christianity and hence NT. Please
                Regards

I will agree that there is much within organized Christianity which points to the fact that Paul is given more authority than Jesus on many matters.

Christ didn't need to write anything down. His teachings have survived the ages. Through them one can easily find the truth (if so inclined to look). But, looking at a far away land almost 100 years after his death and resurrection may not be the best starting point.

2. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The word Christ comes from the Greek "Christos" out of the Hebrew "Messiah" meaning "the anointed one" which originates in the writings of the prophet Isaiah. 

According to Christians the Christ, Messiah, anointed one, is Jesus. According to non Christians he is not.

According to Jesus:
      John 6: 35, 48 I am the bread of life
      John 8: 12, 9:5 I am the light of the world
      John 8: 58 Before Abraham was, I am
      John 10:9 I am the door
      John 10:11 I am the good shepherd
      John 11:25 I am the resurrection and the life
      John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life
      John 15:1 I am the true vine

Also the Hebrew word Yahweh "I Am" is the name which God revealed to Moses. So when he was saying I Am he called himself God. But don't take my word for it you can see the reaction of the pharisees says it all.

1. profile image51

I don't agree with one.Yahweh is not a proper name. It does not mean " I am ". Church got it wrong just to support their stance incorrectly. Please
        Please quote from Jewish Bible for the meaning of Yahweh.
        Kindly correct me with reasons and arguments  if I am wrong .
        Regards

1. profile image0
          Onusonusposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, you're wrong. Jesus claimed to be the messiah, Greek transliteration Christos.

2. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 6 years ago

@Live to Learn

Jesus was a Jew, so those who follow Jesus must not be Christians, only then they would be truly following Jesus .
    They are in an illusion, they are following Paul who invented Christianity, they are not following Jesus or his true teachings. Please
    Please correct me if I am wrong with reasons and arguments.
    Regards

Since only God can know the heart of any human and you appear to believe you know that of others are we to assume you are God incognito? Or something else.

1. profile image51

I never said that. Did I? Please
        Regards

Afraid it appears that you did.

You said"Jesus was a Jew, so those who follow Jesus must not be Christians, only then they would be truly following Jesus .
          They are in an illusion, they are following Paul who invented Christianity, they are not following Jesus or his true teachings. Please
          Please correct me if I am wrong with reasons and arguments.
          Regards"

I have no idea first off what the reasoning is behind your first statement.  I assume you are saying that followers of Jesus must be Jews. If so, you didn't really bother to read anything the man said.

Your second sentence leaves one to assume that you think you can perch somewhere inside someone else's head, know what they think and make judgments on it. Ergo, acting as if you think you are God.

1. profile image51

I don't agree with one.Jesus brought no new religion he never intended to. Gospels were authored by anonymous people never written or dictated or approved by Jesus. Paul doctored the narrative of anonymous people, it hardly has anything from Jesus with 100% accuracy. Please
            Please correct me with reasons and arguments if I am wrong.
            Regards

Well, I agree that Jesus wasn't advocating religion as much as he was advocating understanding the spirit of the Law and living by it. So, Christianity, Islam, Judaism....all are pointless if you don't understand the reason for the law and abide by the spirit.

However, the gospels were written by disciples who walked with Jesus and some guy who wanted to gather an accounting for the sake of posterity. Paul did not doctor any narratives. He went his own way by his understanding. Claiming he doctored narratives of anonymous people is a lie, at best.

I suppose your claim that Jesus died at 120 years of age somewhere else means you think you have some more knowledge than the average person. Without any proof (and, mind you there were tens of thousands of eye witnesses to the Acts) then you are barking up a very, very tall tree or tilting at windmills with a toothpick.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)