Are good comments with links considered spam?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 6 years ago

I've recently had a slew of really good, informative comments that have a link included to their comment's source of information.

Should I accept comments with a link attached or is that still considered spam despite it being a well written, informative comment.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I usually don't accept comments with links, unless I am sure the site is not spammy itself and that it has a high ranking with Google. If you have outbound links to low quality sites, that pulls your ranking down too. That includes links in comments.

I've had people write what looks like very informative comments just to get me to post their link that goes to a spammy site that's selling their stuff. Be careful with that trick.

Another problem is that some links might go to a site that installs a virus once you click to visited it.

The final decision is up to you.

Chriswillman90posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Completely agree with all of those concerns, which is why I stay away from allow those comments, however; if there were a way to strip the link that would be excellent.

Of course there were definitely promotional or spammy links but some were genuinely very helpful, and I felt guilty deleting the comment. It's a mixed bag because I wouldn't want my rankings to suffer because of a spammy comment.

2. kenneth avery profile image79
        kenneth averyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

@Chriswillman90 -- I agree with you 100%. Great advice.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
          Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Kenneth, are you saying that to me or to Chris? You quoted my advice so your post is confusing. If you meant me, thanks.

Your advice was great, you deserve all the credit.

Agree Marisa and I feel like that's manageable to accomplish. If I can keep those comments in any way then I'll gladly welcome those solutions.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

On a few occasions I have accepted a comment with a link. I only do it if I think the link is truly useful to the reader. I'm not saying this is a good practice; it's just what I do.

Has it affected your ranking in any way. Every time I think of doing that I fear Google will punish my content.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
          Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Not that I've noticed. The hub in question is on HealDove. It was doing great before the last plunge. It's still doing OK.

2. EricDockett profile image97
    EricDockettposted 6 years ago

I generally do not accept any comment with a link, not because I think they are necessarily spam, but because I prefer to have control over the links on my page.  I'm not sure the HP link checker catches issues in comment links, such as broken links or bad neighborhoods, like it does with links in the body of the article. If something changes with a link I like to get the little (!) warning so I can address it.

I'd love to have the ability to strip links from otherwise good comments, so those comments could be accepted minus the link.

Altering the comments to remove the links would be a very good idea in the future, maybe the Hubpages team will consider it or develop an algorithm that allows comments with non promotional or spammy links.

For now I'm playing it safe like everyone on here is, thank you for the input.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

This issue is that the commenter owns the copyright to their comment.  So you can post it or not post it, but changing it is pretty questionable.

Yes but can you just strip the link while keeping the original comment intact especially if it feels separate from the comment.

4. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

I have wondered about this too. One thing I have occasionally done is write an answer and delete the comment. Something like: I appreciate you adding the information about..... this is a good point and I appreciate your comment.  (Unfortunately I needed to  delete your post due to concerns about adding outside links.) Cheers!

I haven't thought about that but it may be a better way to address the issue without trying to be too authoritive to the commenter.

I wouldn't want to shut out someone who took time out of their day to read my article and even add commentary.

5. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

I wish you could, but it doesn't seem to work that way. It would not be right for the originator of the hub to have the power to edit someone's comment.

6. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

It would be great if there was some way for HubPages to prevent hyperlinks in the comments.  That way, people could post their link but it wouldn't become "live".

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 6 years agoin reply to this

AGREED!!!

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

+++, Marisa!!  Agreed!  I've had numerous comments over the years that were not only poorly written, but barely related to the topic, such as "Nice article--for help with XXX, visit such and such site."

I generally deny any comments with links of that nature, but I do allow them if they are, for example, from a fellow hubber with a related topic.  But more often than not, in those cases, we usually just agree to link to each other's hub in the body text.

7. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 6 years ago

You could always copy and paste it into notepad, so the link is stripped, then paste it back into your post.  Then you can answer.  It's a win for you.

1. snakeslane profile image81
      snakeslaneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Really? That's brilliant. Have you actually done this?

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Oh, had not thought of that;  great idea!

8. bernicestockstill profile image40
    bernicestockstillposted 6 years ago

well, it is your choice)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)