All is well in Love and War?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)
  1. Aqeel Saeed profile image61
    Aqeel Saeedposted 14 years ago

All is well in Love and War?

This proverb often encourages people to use all means to avail, achieve and gain their intentions, goals or to find success in love or success in war. The question is that why we are indulged in such practice?
    To gain your goals is not objectionable. Everybody has a universal right to do right, be positive for choosing the right thing and pool up recourses to achieve it. But the question arises when while achieving it some obstacles or hurdles stay stand in front of us and we use some ways which are against moral ethics or prohibited in the eye of society and law.

2. Heym0mxtwo profile image58
    Heym0mxtwoposted 14 years ago

I believe the correct proverb is "All's fair in love and war"

I don't believe it to be what you describe it as. I think it is a perception people seem to have. If you hurt me in love, I will hurt you in love because all's fair in love and war, no matter what I did to reciprocate your betrayal, it must have been fair cuz you hurt me first.

I don't necessarily believe in it. However, in both love and war, when tensions are running high, this proverb does tend to ring true.

3. Ty B profile image60
    Ty Bposted 14 years ago

It brings to mind another proverb 'the ENDS justify the MEANS' and I fell that 'all is fair in love & war' is a little too glib. To start with War, or rather the act of making war has absolutely nothing to do with fairness. To establish rules or guidelines for war, the Geneva Convention for example, is certainly noble in theory but in practice rules simply give an advantage to the side that chooses to forgo their use, over the side that follows them. War is only a struggle for supremacy, it is not a game, and the only real use that rules serve in war is to give that war a civilized appearance to hide what is in-fact a bloody mess of weapons, violence, terror, and collateral damage. There is nothing fair about war, take for example the animosity felt towards our Soldiers for the deaths of Iraqi Women & Children. It is a travesty to be sure, but this animosity seldom extents all the way to the insurgents who hide themselves among the Women & Children for the specific purpose of creating anti-war sentiment in the U.S when our media shows pictures of these innocents caught in the cross-fire. It has nothing to do with fair or unfair, it is simply a matter of strategy & tactics. The only way to civilize war, to make it “fair”, would be to abolish it entirely.
        The matter of fairness in LOVE however is much more complicated. I have often marveled at the fact that a loved one, so cherished, can so fast become a hated enemy. This is because a lover is far more capable of hurting you deeply than others. To love, really love, someone is the strongest anyone can ever feel for another.  People often go to great lengths to gain it and then again to keep it. I would never steal a friends money, or car, but I have stolen a friends Girlfriend which probably hurt worse than any of the former ever could. When it comes to love I feel that fairness applies the same as in any other human relations, but for love we will often break these rules. Love can make us do stupid things, especially regarding ‘break-ups’ when this love is threatened. Petty jealousy, paranoia, rage, & violence can all be the final result of love. Love is unfair just as war is unfair and both can bless or ruin lives, I am not sure where the proverb came from but it is a clever & rather general way to describe two very complicated matters.

4. Apostle Jack profile image60
    Apostle Jackposted 13 years ago

ALL IS WELL IN "God's definition of Love".You can read my hub on "Spiritual Warfare" concerning our existence of
    spiritual combat.

5. stanwshura profile image71
    stanwshuraposted 11 years ago

Not to be nitpicky, but, unless you've deliberately altered the wording to inspire a specifically different range and trajectory of responses to what I think is the quotation to which you refer, said quote is actually "All is fair in love and war".

Do I think that, in life generally, the ends sometimes justify any means necessary?  Absolutely and with no doubt, shame, apprehension or apologies.  The key word to my feeling so strongly is "necessary" - and that is one hell of a cost/benefit/righteousness analysis!

Love isn't a special exception.  And war - the ridiculously selfish, violent, testosterone dripping exercise in might makes right lacks absolutely any causal link to solving whatever conflict started it!  Formal "war" between rival gangs, towns, states, countries and (I almost pee my pants at the lunacy and hypocrisy of thd following):  ***RELIGIONS***?!?!

The only things that even come *close* to deserving the pass that the ends justify the means are life-and-death self-preservation; compassion for, defense of, and service to the "needy" and unjustly persecuted; and - and this last one is where my militant defense of "any means necessary" begins and ends:  justice.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)