Define freedom?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (19 posts)
  1. RKHenry profile image64
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

Define freedom?

2. JessicaR1211 profile image58
    JessicaR1211posted 14 years ago

Being able to move wherever I want, when I want, and with whom I want. I want to be an Immigrant in somebody elses country, but Visa rules are awful. Can't we just be one huge country?

3. ledefensetech profile image68
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

Freedom is being able to go where you want, like Jessica said, being able to associate with whomever you want, like Eaglewiki says and being able to do the kind of work you want.  That and being able to keep the fruits of your labor.  Liberty and property in other words.  The only restriction on the is that your choices must not keep another person from enjoying their freedom.

4. lrohner profile image70
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

The ability to make choices, regardless of the consequences, as long as the consequences do not affect those around me.

I, personally, think this country is getting a bit out of hand when it comes to limiting our freedom. I mean, I can totally understand and support drunk driving laws. I don't want to get on the road and die because someone else made a stupid choice. But stuff like seatbelt laws (and I do wear my seatbelt -- always) is just going too far. If I get hurt in a car crash because I didn't have a seatbelt on, that's not hurting anyone but me.

5. thurstjm profile image67
    thurstjmposted 14 years ago

There is one very simple answer that John Mill came up with centuries ago, an answer that the founding fathers used when creating our constitutiton.

A man is free as long as he can do whatever he chooses, providing he does not harm any other persons with his actions.

6. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

To be who you are without hurting anyone else.

7. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Freedom is the right to choose and not have choices made for you! Then you must preserve that right of choice for the next generation or be the agent of tyranny. The question should be will you die so another may choose, thats freedom!

These young men and women fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan have made their choice and they deserve our respect for passing freedom on to those who have never had it.

8. easyspeak profile image67
    easyspeakposted 14 years ago

freedom is relative and can only be defined in measure. no one has complete freedom and no political system can allow total freedom.  freedom does come at a cost...just think about the banking stuff. They have too much freedom without scrutiny.

some say you can never have freedom and that you're always a slave to something...but that's more of a philosophical/spiritual question.

9. breakfastpop profile image65
    breakfastpopposted 14 years ago

Freedom is the right to make important decisions for yourself and your family without coercion or fear of retaliation. Freedom is the right to  take advantage of the myriad opportunities out there in the world to better your life. Freedom is the right to express your opinion  and fight for what you believe in, as long as you do not bring harm to anyone with an opposing point of view. Freedom is what we still have in this country, but I fear our rights are being eroded and we have to be vigilant.

10. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 14 years ago

Breakfastpop, LDT and others have defined one important aspect of freedom (freedom to do and say what you like as long as you don't hurt others), but there's another, neglected aspect to freedom: namely the freedom NOT to do or say things if you don't want to, and the freedom to leave a situation you don't like.

11. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

The ability to not be under another's ideological pressures.

12. RockinB profile image60
    RockinBposted 14 years ago

Freedom is never having to worry about what your government is doing to you, or taking from you.

13. T_Augustus profile image61
    T_Augustusposted 14 years ago

F or all the things you put me through
    R idiculed the things I'd do
    E very decision I harshly felt
    E specially when you were "trying to help"
    D ragging me into situations and
    O ther people's conversations
    M y prayers have been answered this is it - today is my last day       boss...I QUIT!

14. wesleyacarter profile image56
    wesleyacarterposted 14 years ago

the idea that people can exist free from obligation to others.

-

that one can do whatever one wants, whenever one wants, wherever one wants, as long as it doesn't hurt someone else. How silly does that really sound? sounds like a recipe for doing nothing worthwhile.

-

Especially in an industrialized nation, everything you do must be scrutinized within the laws of your people. Every item you buy must be supplied by some form of commerce. Every road you travel must have been paved others. In order for you to be "free" to watch your favorite show, people must produce it, more people must broadcast it and finally, someone must have built the television you watch it on.

-

If your idea of freedom is simply based around the things you own, the place you are and the time you spend on yourself, then you should rid yourself of all your possessions, cut yourself off from humanity. After that, attempt to bring together the resources needed to watch your favorite television show; the production, the broadcast, the technology, all without other people. Only then will you truly know the cost of freedom.

-

People need people; we are bound by and to each other. Freedom does not exist.

15. LensMan999 profile image58
    LensMan999posted 14 years ago

Freedom is something which allows an individual to do anything as per his/her wish without being questioned. Also, it does not hinder the freedom of the other individual or cause any trouble to him/her.

16. CreativeOrange profile image64
    CreativeOrangeposted 13 years ago

Freedom is the divine right to chose our will and act upon it.

17. Beata Stasak profile image77
    Beata Stasakposted 13 years ago

Freedom means everything to me...it is my ability to voice, to imagine, to create anything that crosses my mind. It is the the ability to create your own path, your original way of life, your unique perception of the world around you without being judged or persecuted for it...
    Once you lived in a country without personal freedom you know there is nothing sweeter than a taste of freedom in your mouth:)

18. VocalJaz profile image61
    VocalJazposted 13 years ago

Total freedom to me is being totally responsible. I want financial independence. I want to be emotionally free and have time freedom to do the things I love and help others in need. I am happy to say that I am in the process of achieving freedom.

19. Youniverse World profile image59
    Youniverse Worldposted 13 years ago

Lots of money and beautiful girls big_smile Thats is freedom!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)