your sign ups...

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

Okay, I was looking through the hubbers that signed up through me and one just happens to be really interesting.  While I am reading his hubs, I felt the urge to click on one of that ads.

I didn't because I am not sure if this is in the forbidden zone.  So What do I do?  I want to click the add but really need to know if this is against the rules.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol,no I dont think  you can click, because your tracker is how he.she signed up , but giggled because I could just imagine you wanting to hit the click here button lol ( but I could be wrong) remember reading somewhere where it said , they adsense can see which trackerID the clicks come from etc.

Sandra can ya tell me how you know who signed up (under you) I have seen 2 have on mine , but didnt know I could know who etc?
      Thanks.

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You caught on to me and buttons. lol
        Yeah, I think you are right so it is frustrating.  Who knew there would be a downside to a good sign up.

-go to your url trackers and click on the token that has the sign up on it.  It will tell you who it is. big_smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
          Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok cool thanks ,but I was just thinking , what if you didnt know who signed up under your tracker ID? (which would be possible) so maybe Im wrong ( and you can click after all).

..hold out someone else will know for sure!!

1. profile image0

Ah, that is a good point.  I shall wait for more answers. big_smile

2. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is a small percentage of a possibility that the add you are captivated by is being served under your google adsense account, that is how the referral bonuses are given.

So its not wrong (so not against the rules, whose rules anyways?) to click on your referrals ads, but it POSSIBLE that you are actually clicking on your own ad.

But you will have a small chance of breaking "G";s TOS and an even smaller chance of being penalized for it..very small, but possible

and Eaglekiwi: Google know nothing about your Hubpages URL tracker...but they do know your IP, and probably log every Ip you check your adsense account with...if they see that same IP as the address that clicks an ad there automatic system cares nothing about how it may have happened, only that you are defrauding their advertiser. Its a machine, a computer program an algorithm, it does not comprehend accident

Once again, one little accidental click really isnt likely to raise any flags, I know I have clicked on ads from my profile page multiple times without thinking and other places throughout the years.

Usually, if Google suspects a fraudulent click, you just dont receive crefit...but lots of them will lead to an account ban

1. profile image0

Thanks sf.  Still makes me afraid to click it.  Maybe I will come across the same ad somewhere else. But I really want to know what it says.

3. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because he is one of your referrals, 10% of the time, YOUR ad code is going to be on his Hubs.  That means, you could actually wind up clicking on your own ads on his hubs and that's something you specifically want to avoid.  Paul Deeds just explained this over in  another thread.

4. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
      Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't click as you might be clicking your own ad. If you are really keen to click, then check your pub-id from your Adsense account and see the code of that page. Find the Pub in the code. If it matches your pub-id, then don't click because clicking that ad will do nothing but ban you.

1. darkside profile image66
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Rather than looking through the source code, right click the ad, get the URL and find the bit at the end as I've suggested.

2. BrianFanslau profile image61
    BrianFanslauposted 14 years ago

no I'm sure it is not. The purpose of advertising is to draw in a buyer. If you signed him/her up and you are genuinely interested and would potentially buy then the ad money that was spent by the advertiser was not a waste and the add produced a "good lead"

3. BrianFanslau profile image61
    BrianFanslauposted 14 years ago

by the way congrats on over 4000 forum posts Sandra

1. profile image0

Thanks, everyone seems to know these thing before me.  I always want to catch one of those blue milestone things but never get there in time. big_smile

4. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 14 years ago

It's best not to click on ads. But if you're interested in seeing where the ad leads to, here's what I'd do...

If you're using Firefox right click on the ad and choose "Copy Link Location"

Then paste it into your browser, or Notepad. Probably better if it's Notepad.

It might looks something like this (you'll have to mouse over it to see the whole URL)...

http://googleads.g.doublieclick.net/acl … m&nm=4

(I grabbed that off a hub, but I've changed the domain name so it won't cause any problems if anyone tries to use it)

What you need to do is go look for the domain at the very end of that string, and stop short of the & and everything thereafter. In this case it's http://www.therichjerk.com

That is where the ad is sending the traffic.

Sometimes it sends a person straight to a page at the site and not the frontpage. So it might look like this:

http://googleads.g.doublieclick.net/acl … &nm=13

In this case it's the URL http://www.rsmoney.biz/robertallen/imad … 4hours.php

5. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Okay, I'm going to sound a bit OCD here. But I love how the OP had a typo and spelled "ad" as "add", and a lot of replies are following suit! LOL

1. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I happen to a terrible typer....that add typo drives me nuts though, i had intended to correct it, lol

2. profile image0

lol I did that twice.  I caught the second one but not the first. boogers.

6. freelanceworld profile image60
    freelanceworldposted 14 years ago

Most Ads  esp Text Link ads have a Link to that Site, at bottom of that ad ( Even image and video ads have those depending upon advertiser's settings)

You can simply copy that  and view that in your browser.
    Thats the simplest and easiest way.
    For other cases, copying the whole ad link and removing ad code, etc as darkside said is a good way.

Hope that helps
    Regards smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)