Which do you find the hardest to write: prose poetry or rhyming poetry and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. alekhouse profile image72
    alekhouseposted 14 years ago

Which do you find the hardest to write: prose poetry or rhyming poetry and why?

2. nicole2O profile image61
    nicole2Oposted 14 years ago

Prose Poetry is harder to write because it has more requirements to it and seems like more work. Rhyming poetry is more fun to write and read.

3. aoiffe379 profile image60
    aoiffe379posted 14 years ago

What is prose poetry? Did you leave out a comma inadvertently?The three genres I know are prose, drama and poetry. Some people use unrhymed poetry- free verse- which allows freedom of expression without punctuation in most cases. It is like talking in rhythm like rap but without the rhyme. I have tried unrhymed and rhymed poetry. An example of unrhymed original poetry is Serenity. it goes thus:

The wind
    in the trees
    hush
    in defiance
    of the sun;
    and the little birds
    celebrate
    with music!

This  is more form/shape and style; and it is not written often. I am more a lyrical[songwriting] poet though I write some narratives and inspirational poems.Rhyming is easier for me as I am musically inclined. I still count  syllables though i do not worry or sweat about cadence and iambic,trochee etc.I write; and if it doesn't fit, I do not force it.

4. hollyschulz profile image61
    hollyschulzposted 14 years ago

I think the beauty of writing - especially poetry - is the freedom writers have to work with!  I always thought of writing as a natural gift, almost something I HAVE to do as an outlet for my thoughts and emotions.  I tend to write from the heart and let words flow from me in a natural, unfiltered way.  Then, of course, I polish and edit the snot out of my work - I don't think I have EVER produced a finalized write.  On the contrary, I always find more editing I could do!!

I absolutely understand the "need" for structured writing styles, as I sometimes worry that my intended flow will not be captured in the freestyle way I write, and I can definitely see how guidelines will help to preserve the writer's desired rhythm.  In my humble opinion, though, restricting oneself to a certain format or with specific "rules" is much harder than simply rhyming a bunch of words!

Howeverrrrr.... (haha) since prose is described as "the ordinary form of spoken or written language", I think it's more difficult to rhyme than to simply write in a common manner.  The trick here is that it's easier to find rhyming words - especially since there's SUCH an abundance of words to choose from - than it is to make ordinary language sound extraordinary enough to capture an audience!!  Since prose and poetry are kind of conflicting terms to begin with, prose seems to be the more difficult of the two when writing.

I know I should shut up now but I just realized that my first poem ever was a simple rhyming poem, and now I feel as if I am more of a rhyming-prose poet... Which I guess supports my reasoning that rhyming is easier since it was my stepping stone into the world of poetry. 

That is all!  smile

5. jacklhasa profile image61
    jacklhasaposted 14 years ago

Rhyming poetry is definitely harder for me.  It's what I started with when I was younger, but as I've grown, my style has evolved based on the various influences in my life.  Free Verse(mostly prose form) is much easier for me now, as it gives me more freedom to write what I really feel, without spending too much time editing, and plotting rhyme schemes.

6. profile image57
    franki79posted 14 years ago

I find it harder to do rhyming poetry,,, of course I don't put too much emphasis in catagory or genrae,,, I just go with the flow.

7. johnnyapain profile image57
    johnnyapainposted 14 years ago

I started out writing songs, and always rhyming, then I went to college and had to write prose poetry.  It was hard at first to get the rhymes out of my head... when i did, I had real renaissance in my work;  the freedom of expression, and the sharpness of my meanings, drove me to pretty much give up rhyming poetry.  Is one easier than the other?   Both come easy to me now, but I think rhyming is easier.  Prose poetry requires finding an  individual voice with your own rhythms, inner line rhymes, use of the space on the page, idiosyncratic uses of punctuation  -- or none, and a lot of other tools that work better than rhyming (for me... there are no absolutes -- I love some rhyming poetry, though most of it is from another century).

8. R P Chapman profile image60
    R P Chapmanposted 14 years ago

It's always made me a little cross that poetry should have rules associated with it. How much of the best poetry you experienced created rather than obeyed a rule?

It's all hard to create, because it's exposing yourself at your most raw, whether that's within a construct or not is defined by the emotion, not the other way round.

9. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 14 years ago

When rhymed poetry flows and captures exactly what the poet wants to say it is wonderful.
    The difficulty with writing rhyming poetry well is that the need to rhyme a word can force the direction your poem takes. Some words have a limited number of words that rhyme with them so you might pick a 'second best' word to fit or make the rhyme work.
    With prose poetry the freedom to convey what you want to say without rhyme seems easier and enables the freedom of your message to flow with the words.  I think the hardest poetry to write is 'the older style' that has set and sometimes complex patterns ( a formula)  to the rhyme scheme.

The Rubai is a verse form of four lines the rhyme scheme for it is   a,a,b,a . Which means that line one two and three rhyme (a) but line three (b) does not.I have written poems with that pattern but the ability to rhyme a more complex scheme than that escapes me. 

Sonnets are an example of more complex rhyming patterns.
    Even limmericks can have a form to the rhyming: a,a,b,b,a line ends.

10. PeeGee profile image60
    PeeGeeposted 14 years ago

To rhyme without meaning is to lose what you were trying to say - I find rhyme harder because when you create a rhyming piece you are being clever / intelligent - of the mind; when writing without rhyme the word you find to say what you want to say is right regardless and it comes from another place.

11. kittens4dj profile image60
    kittens4djposted 14 years ago

This is a hard one because it depends...one day it will be easier to rhyme and the next it is a free verse day. The muse is a fickle beast...and we writers must bow to it's dictates. When I first started writing poetry, and this was quit a few years ago..in school, I was a slave to rhyme...it didn't sound like poetry to me otherwise. Then I discovered free verse and prose...I was hooked and the creativity felt brand new. So the best thing is not to strugle with form write what flows from the soul and let your Muse run free!

12. Ian Mancl profile image61
    Ian Manclposted 14 years ago

For me personally, I think poems that need to rhyme or have line restrictions are more difficult to write.

13. littlesecret13 profile image73
    littlesecret13posted 13 years ago

i agree that all of it is difficult because you are putting yourself out there like an open book exposing your feelings whether it be about love or something else...they all take good concentration and a certain mind set to write...
    the only way it "seems" difficult is some people think too long and hard and end up getting blocked, such as when you are writing a rhyming poem, you think too long and hard on what rhymes with this word and so on....

14. Cartagena profile image61
    Cartagenaposted 11 years ago

Prose is harder. When it's done the right way it's more satisfying than poetry. I don't even think it's an argument. Prose is a craft, poetry is expression. To write good poetry and write good prose is both difficult but prose is the ultimate challenge because the writer is forced to take his clothes off and others too and there is nowhere to hide.

15. manatita44 profile image73
    manatita44posted 9 years ago

I write both with ease, but for the esoteric poet, the free style allows for greater creativity, imagery, vision and depth, etc.

16. nishibonya kakoti profile image48
    nishibonya kakotiposted 6 years ago

Rhyming poetry would be my answer! We need to take care of the rhyming scheme of the pieces and the content should be engaging as well. Balancing it up is the primary thing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)