Obama's Health Care Plan will take away services from 75 million Boomers, potent

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)
  1. BudHasherdashery profile image61
    BudHasherdasheryposted 14 years ago

Obama's Health Care Plan will take away services from 75 million Boomers, potentially shorten our li

My wife had breast cancer last year, had to have a complete radical hysterectomy as a preventive measure.  Looking at Obama's Health Care Plan, we will lose some important benefits.  Obviously, I am opposed to his plan, opposed to Universal Coverage which amounts to socialized medicine.  I am trying to figure out how people think it is fair for us to have to give up the very medical services my wife is depending on to keep her well and healthy.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

What "important benefits" do you think you will lose under Obama's plan? Why do you think your wife will have to "give up the very medical services my wife is depending on to keep her well and healthy?"

My impression is that Obama's plan and those being discussed in Congress will extend coverage to 30 million people who have no health insurance and won't take anything away from anybody.

3. BudHasherdashery profile image61
    BudHasherdasheryposted 14 years ago

Ralph:

First, thank you for the reply...curious here...of that 30 million who will get coverage, how many are Illegal Aliens?  Yes, that is an important question, and one that none of my elected officials are willing to answer.

Secondly, as one of 75-79 million Boomers, I am very leary that so many billions are being moved away from long term care and medicare/medicaid, and into preventive care (which benefits the young).  Some in Congress have already admitted that certain long care costs are no longer going to be covered under the current bills being considered.

Cancer treatments are expensive, as are the drugs to fight cancer.  Under our current plan, all those things are covered. However, once you use our taxes to create a government run system in competition with the private sector, the government run system has a pricing advantage, and to compete the Blue Crosses and other private systems will have to cut access to certain services and drugs to remain competive in the market place.

I was 40 before I was fortunate enough to have major medical coverage, it was the price I paid for wanting to start my own company...these crying weenies that want everyone else to pick up the tab for them need to get a life.  I am not willing to give up a damn thing, or risk what is left of my wife's health on Obama's grand social experiment, in his quest to have America become a socialized medicine nation.

4. Quilligrapher profile image74
    Quilligrapherposted 14 years ago

A bit off topic, I admit, but as an average middle class American citizen, I would gladly trade my government health insurance coverage for the plan that our congressman voted for themselves!
    Q.

5. maggiemae profile image62
    maggiemaeposted 14 years ago

I'm a Canadian, and while some of us complain about waits for some elective procedures, the system has worked well for us.  My husband had colon cancer and he had excellent immediate care.  In our system the doctors are private contractors who negotiate their fees with the Province.  They may not collect fees from patients and the Provincial Health Plan.  There are a few items not covered, but on the flip side low income families have their health insurance premiums subsidized and also prescriptions.

I am afraid for my American relatives and two sons that live in the US.  What if they lose their jobs or develop a "pre-existing" condition that disqualifies them for health care.  If the news reports are to be believed, the US is going to have serious problems funding Medicare before long and it doesn't appear that the AMA or insurance industry have put forward any solutions.  So much for capitalism, eh!   

i suggest you watch  the documentary "Sicko", it focuses on managed health care systems in other countries.  Some of them are working and some not so much.  i don't think that the US can continue for many more years with business as usual.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)