where can I check on a website to see if it is a scam

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image52
    gentjoeposted 14 years ago

where can I check on a website to see if it is a scam

2. profile image0
    probyte2uposted 14 years ago

I have written an article about spammer and there are links which you could visit to find out about scams.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-prevent- … te-winners

3. rob cross profile image57
    rob crossposted 14 years ago

I usually google the topic and she what comes up. If others have been scammed or ripped off by a outfit, a very good chance they will show up in  a Google search.

4. Dark knight rides profile image59
    Dark knight ridesposted 14 years ago

Snopes.com is one of the best for hoaxes and scams. Scambusters.org is another good place to start. I've also used Rob's idea of just googling the site and see what others have to say.

5. ShawnMosch profile image60
    ShawnMoschposted 14 years ago

I would suggest a google search on the name of the company.  You can also go to http://scamvictimsunited.com/ and on the message board there is a section for websites and businesses . . . post it there and the board members will check things out for you.

6. Daan_vdB profile image61
    Daan_vdBposted 14 years ago

I have written multiple articles on different sorts of scams in my hubs and my blog http;//www.whenigetrich.com. If your story matches up with the cases statet in my articles, you can certainly identify a scam.

7. Pseudonymous profile image69
    Pseudonymousposted 14 years ago

A little obvious but I always google the name of the product/site and the word 'scam'. You need to be a little careful with this however as a lot of scammers post misinformation in the form of fake blogs or fake comments on other blogs.

I've written a number of hubs on scams e.g. dietary/weight loss/supplement/teeth whitening/work from home scams if that is what you are looking at.

Other than that just bear in mind that if it sounds too good to be true it probably is and always do your research before giving anyone your card details, no matter how small the payment might be. Good luck!

8. Silverbonds profile image61
    Silverbondsposted 14 years ago

There are many ways to check if a website is a scam or not. For example if it is a site posing as another trusted site check the url. To be sure it is the real site I suggest using google to type in the site and see what pulls up on the site to check it out. Lets say you see a site that is pay-pal.com and you are not sure. Go to Google's fabulous search engine and type in the url and see what pulls up. The site if googled this way would pull up undoubtly the official site of Paypal in its Ad space for the official site. Or it may pop up did you mean paypal. So simple things like this can be a big help when checking on a website. However if alot is pulled up on a certain domain name dont trust it just yet go through several engines if you have doubts and see the negative and postive feedback of the site. More than likely though if it is a legitmate site google will sniff it out.

9. soxy32 profile image61
    soxy32posted 14 years ago

go to www.whois.net. Type in the website address and see who registered the site. If a phone number is given then call the number to verify that is the owner of the domain name. If the person on the other end doesn't know what you are talking about then inform them that their info is being used illegally. Most scammers use false info to register the domain name. Example:  I can register a domain under a real company name and address and provide a phone number that is local to that address. However, when you call the number it gets transferred to a call center outside of the country. The owner of that company has no idea I am using their info because they never receive any calls or mail. It sounds complicated but that is what goes on in the world of scamming.

10. profile image60
    Cheez Writesposted 14 years ago

See my hub here:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Tips-to-Avoid-I … ting-Scams

In the resource sections there are a couple places you can check a company's reputation to find out if it is a scam. There are also other tips on avoiding scams by looking at what's on the website itself, and using search engines as someone else suggested. Good louck!

11. bettanywire profile image60
    bettanywireposted 13 years ago

Basically a scam website doesn't include any information about their business like address, contact information and more.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)