Website Impersonating Me Even Using My Name

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (60 posts)
  1. PegCole17 profile image93
    PegCole17posted 9 years ago

It is discouraging to find yet another website which has copied pictures of my family, my pets, my articles, used my titles and created a website that impersonates me. Today I've already wasted a couple of hours researching their host site and filing the appropriate DMCA Takedown Notices.

When I did a Google search for one of my formerly popular articles which has recently taken a nosedive in traffic and score, I found this site using my name in vain.

You may want to search under the name Rikanita dot com and then enter your user name in the search box. I was totally aghast when I saw pictures of my dogs, my husband and links to my articles that have this person's name first with poorly scrambled copies of much of my work.

The host name is www. ramnode. com. We'll see if they respond quickly.

This is SO frustrating...
    sad

1. bravewarrior profile image87
      bravewarriorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Peg, that's awful! I guess we should all check to see if the same is happening to us. I hope you get it squared away and have the site taken down.

PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Bravewarrior,
        I really despise giving them further traffic by checking out their website. As it is, they're getting over 10,000 hits daily according to the counter on the site that mimics mine. Wow. It's no wonder my traffic is so pathetic.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image61
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Did you have to Translate the page, Peg?

Hi The Examiner, No I didn't translate as most of the site was in (poor) English with a jumble of my different articles and fake links with my name that lead to a blank page. I hope you are okay and not on their radar, Kevin.
        P

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61

Did you show us the correct site to type in because when I typed it in, it came up and asked if I wanted the page translated. Was the spelling correct? It asked if I meant Re..., so I tried that and it was somewhere in Indonesia - I think.

Kevin, I hope this picture comes out. I snipped the results of the WhoIs Hosting page.
            http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11890762.jpg

Here's how I found it. I used the actual URL from my hub inside quotation marks and put it in the Google search bar. This is what came up. I don't know if HP will allow this or not. Perhaps it will get snipped.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11890779.jpg

Thank you for this. I just found one of my most popular hubs on a site called JL Forums. People are congratulating him for such a helpful article. One guy even commented on the Donald Duck Tree story I used in my hub as an example. I can't even get in and leave a comment or contact the owner without registering for the site.

Here's the link:

http://jlforums.com/search-engine-optim … /#msg68753

Now, I've got some DMCA work to do of my own!

1. Fiorenza profile image69
                Fiorenzaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Brave warrior unless I'm missing something they have just linked back to your hub; they haven't scraped it.  I agree that a back link from a site like that may not be very desirable as looking at the forum generally they are providing tools to spin articles.

Fiorenza, it kinda looks like that, but comments have been posted on the forum. Also, when I look at my traffic sources, that site doesn't come up.

I've checked many other of my hubs, especially a product review I did. My URL shows up several times, within various SERPS, but when you click on them, they take you to my HP hub and there are no comments on the sites where I found my link.

2. PegCole17 profile image93

Oh, Shauna. I'm so sorry, but glad you found that URL thing helpful. It is so very discouraging to lose traffic to these hackers and copy lifters. Best of luck on your filings. Don't bother with the individual. Go straight for the jugular.(the host)
                Peg

The host site is currently down. Surprise, surprise. However, I sent a DMCA to the registrant and the registrar. We'll see what happens.

3. PegCole17 profile image93

Hi Bravewarrior, I checked out this site and the link he presented actually takes people directly to your hub. I'm not sure if this is a violation, as long as they didn't publish the text as their own.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11893494.jpg

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
              Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh this is depressing. I Googled "Millionaire Tips on HubPages" as you suggested, and found five links. Only one of them is actually on HubPages.

Oh, Millionaire. I'm so sorry. It has been a really eye-opening day for me. Sad and revealing.
                I hope you get your DMCAs filed and resolved soon.
                Peg

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
                  Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Peg. I did the same lookup on yahoo and found more.  These are all such weird websites that taken snippets from lots of different places on HubPages.  I'm not sure how to do a DMCA, because they don't have a lot of information - basically a sentence or two from each subdomain.  One of them has a picture but it is a creative commons one and not one I took. I would hope that Google realizes from the bounce rate that they are not worth featuring.

Millionaire, I also found several other sites that have a jumbled up mess of things from several of my hubs in one run-on paragraph. When I went to the "Contact Us" there was a threatening message about not reporting copyright claims via this method, since everything they had was in the Public Domain (according to them) and within their rights. Funny part is that at the bottom of their site is a copyright notice. The gall.
                    I'm not sure how to report this either.
                    Peg

2. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
          Shyron E Shenkoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Peg, I went there and could not find my name.

But I did find names for the person on their site.  Adrian Bruce and Adrian Lewis Peterson associated with rikanita.com.

Adrian Lewis Peterson is an American football running back for the Minnesota Vikings of the National Football League. He was drafted by the Vikings seventh overall in the 2007 NFL Draft. He played college football at Oklahoma. Wikipedia

Born: March 21, 1985 (age 29), Palestine, TX
          Spouse: Ashley Brown (m. 2014)
          Current team: Minnesota Vikings (#28 / Running back)
          School: University of Oklahoma
          Children: Adeja Peterson, Tyrese Robert Ruffin
          Parents: Nelson Peterson, Bonita Jackson

Look at the last name Bonita = rik a nita

Hi Shyron, I'm glad you didn't see your articles out there. Did you use your hub URL in quotation marks in the Google search? That's how I found mine.
            How did you locate this Adrian Lewis Peterson and Bonita Jackson? I'm still confused as to who is really hosting these guys. Your explanation makes sense with regard to the site name but ??? why would a football player run a skam like this?
            P

1. Shyron E Shenko profile image69

I typed in Rikanita.com and found the information and copied it here. When I tried to find it again, this is what I found. 

Account number   Sign up
              Password    Log in
              ๆˆ‘็š„ไธญๅฟƒ My center
              โ€ข     Forum
              โ€ข     I move
              โ€ข     Label
              โ€ข     Member
              โ€ข     Search for
              I moved Forum ยปerror message
              There has been an error
              Wodong Technology Ltd - Lite Edition - Style

I just tried to copy it again  and it is not there. But I found Rika Nita facebook page. I also found the following.

rikanita.com - Website and Domain information data ...
              wsdata.com/2014-06-21/rikanita.com-domain-information.html
              Jun 23, 2014 - rikanita.com - domain information. , , . ... Find domain name like rikanita.com and register it on GoDaddy ยท Register your domain name today ...

rikanita.net - Mawords.com
              mawords.com/rikanita.net
              Translate this page
              View domain rikanita.net statistics, ratings, possible spells, users reviews and others. Domain IPv4: 162.251.113.165 looks like that this site is online now.

Hopefully this means the site has been taken down, Shyron. I did submit a DMCA notice to GoDaddy at copyrightclaims@godaddy dot com as well as a couple of other places. Thank you for the update.smile

3. Writer Fox profile image33
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Report them on this form and they will lose their AdSense account forever:
      https://support.google.com/adsense/trou … 0500?hl=en

Hello Writer Fox,
        It asks four questions: is this an AdSense Violation? A complaint? Or what. Sorry, is there a choice that leads to impersonation of my website? Is this even a Google related complaint like for example, Blogspot?

1. Writer Fox profile image33

Check the first box:  a violation regarding content.  Using copyrighted material without permission is a violation of AdSense Guidelines โ”€ using your pictures and translating your work. (Point out how many times the word 'HubPages' is mentioned.) Also, a lot of the content on that site is spun content, which is also a violation.

This has nothing to do with the Blogspot complaint form.  This is not a Blogspot site and AdSense is a completely different part of Google.

Thanks, Foxy, I'm on it. Back in a while...
            Peg

Peg, that site is hosted by an American company, Adhost Internet Advertising, dba webiness.com, dba tierpoint.com.

DMCA notices should be sent to dal-abuse@tierpoint.com.

Thank you Writer Fox. Okie Dokey, I just sent off another notice. How is one to know how to find the REAL host? I have a Who Is Hosting report that said it was Ramnode LLC and/or WIMSbios.com. This really gets to me.

Maybe what you have is a 'who is' report, which just shows who registered the domain name, not who owns it and not who hosts it.

This is from http://www.whoishostingthis.com/:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11891591.png

1. Judy Filarecki profile image70
                    Judy Filareckiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Just clicked on your link to who is hosting this and I got a message that the page does not exist. It is the : after the link that is messing it up. It is making the : a part of the link.

4. Frank Atanacio profile image75
      Frank Atanacioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

wow..  That's just a damn shame..hope yo clear it up fast..

Hi Franko, Yep, it's a cryin' shame. Let's toss them into the slammer. Have you checked for possible infringements on your articles? Mine are personal stories and they scraped them anyway - with pictures of my HUBBY and my dogs!!! How rude.
        Peg

5. Shyron E Shenko profile image69

โ–บ 2:44โ–บ 2:44

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPpumdvDzq8

I watched this video and it was funny but it only went to 2:43. Was there something I missed?

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61

It was the same time when I watched it, but it looked like it was all there. Perhaps she just marked the wrong time.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

That looks like a massive scrape.

The domain is registered to a human in AZ, but looking at the content, I bet it's fake, in which case you want to complain to the ISP.  Because if they can't get in touch with the owner, the whole site gets pulled down.

Thank you Relache. I hope they do pull the site. It's a sham.

3. lisavollrath profile image91
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

Yikes! Peg, I'm so sorry this happened to you.

Thank you Lisavollrath. Me, too. This gets really old. I'd rather be writing articles than filing DMCA complaints.
      P

4. mckbirdbks profile image81
    mckbirdbksposted 9 years ago

Hello Peg - So sorry this is the way your wee has started. I am sure there is karma in the world. They will somehow pay for this. Mike

Hello Mckbirdbks, Thanks. I'm not happy. Not happy at all. Harrumph. Sorry, it's a really bad way to start a Monday. I just edited one of my oldies on Perception (with a broken link) and that didn't even help improve my mood. I'll just hop over to your latest and get a dose of Chocolate.
      smile

5. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 9 years ago

Peg, Thanks for this info. I found that Google had indexed my info on Rikanita dot com also. But when I looked at the page it had already been removed. I did, however, find many other Hubbers plagiarized on that site. But their pages seem to change dynamically. So you get different results than what Google has indexed.

Another site that everyone should check is liveverify dot com. They have many plagiarized hubs on that site and I'm having trouble getting mine removed. Their hosting company, Wholesale Internet, had their server hard drives seized by order of a federal judge back in 2011. It seems they are still acting like criminals since they ignore my repeated DMCA takedown notices.

Hi Glenn, Do I have the host right? I see they are using 2 DNS: I looked it up on WhoIs hosting this and copied the IP addresses on my complaint form.
      I'm sorry you've been scraped, too. I looked at that liveverify site and read the scoop on that guy whose servers were confiscated. Perhaps he's out of business as a result. We can certainly hope so.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
        Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. Are you saying live verify dot com uses 2 DNS as the host?  I had been communicating with the clerk at  Wholesale Internet. She accepts that liveverify it is one of their sites they host and she keeps telling me that she keeps passing my DMCA takedown requests to her boss, who is still employed there as their copyright agent. But he never complies and she refuses to put me through to him. When I tell her that it is against the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to ignore these requests, she tells me that she is not responsible for the decision.

Just to be fair, since this thread is about Rikanita dot com, I really should continue the discussion of liveverify at http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/125009#post2652046 so as not to confuse people.

Glenn, I should have been more specific. I was referring to my Rika... copycat site when I said 2 DNS show on the Who Is Hosting report.
          P

6. Ann Hinds profile image66
    Ann Hindsposted 9 years ago

That's pretty interesting. The links don't go anywhere but I did find some of my text on one of them. I ususally don't check because  Vintage Trailers and Teardrops is a small niche and easy to spot. Thanks for the heads up.

Ann Hinds, Yes, they are using a combination of multiple articles jumbled together with fake links to create their "copyrighted" work. Bah! I hope you'll file the proper complaint forms about your work being used without your permission. Try typing one of your URLs into the Google Search bar with quotes around it and see if it doesn't come up with something.
      P

7. Ann Hinds profile image66
    Ann Hindsposted 9 years ago

PegCole, thanks! Three links are dead and the other two go back to HubPages. I never thought to check because that stuff is way beyond me but now I check some others and look into filing a report.

Hi Ann, I used to think it was way beyond me, too. What is required is that once you identify an "alleged" copy cat (you have to be careful with accusations), then you fill out the DMCA form and send it as an email attachment to the host. I don't bother trying to contact the individual perp anymore. I do NOT want them getting my personal email address.
      I created a DMCA template and saved it to Word and use this form for each offense unless the host site has a form that you can fill out. You might copy and paste this into a doc for future use.

To Whom It May Concern,
      The following information serves to assert my rights and request removal of allegedly infringing web content under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). The following is a report, in good faith, of alleged copyright infringement. I am contacting you as the designated agent for the site upon which the infringing work currently appears. This letter is a Notice of Infringement as authorized in ยง512(c) of the U.S. Copyright Law.
      I am the copyright owner of the works and the following is true and accurate.
      1. The original work, for which I claim copyright, appears, with my permission, at the following locations online:
      {URLs WHERE YOUR ORIGNAL AUTHORIZED WORK APPEARS}
      2. Copies of my original copyrighted work are {attached/included/provided-Put the URL of YOUR HUB here} to assist you in your evaluation and determination.
      3. The allegedly infringing {work/text/image} appears at the following location(s) online:
      {URLs WHERE INFRINGING WORK IS CURRENTLY LOCATED}
      4. My contact information, as copyright holder, is as follows:
      {INCLUDE YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION, Name, Address, City, State Zip}
      5. The information of the alleged copyright infringer is:
      {INSERT WHOIS INFORMATION FOR THE SITE YOU ALLEGE IS INFRINGING}
      6. I have a good faith belief the use of the above reference copyrighted work(s) that appears on the website for which you are the designated DMCA agent is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or by law.
      I declare, under penalty of perjury, this notice is true and correct and that I am the copyright owner entitled to exclusive rights which I allege are being infringed.
      Signed this ________ day of ___________, 20_____ in {INSERT CITY, STATE, COUNTY}.
      {YOUR SIGNATURE/eSIGNATURE}

The learning center has also published this hub for more information.
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/how- … -complaint

Hope this helps,
      Peg

8. WillStarr profile image81
    WillStarrposted 9 years ago

Or worse! Someone did this to me, and I lost MY adsense account!

Oh NO, Will. Can't you protest to the powers to be and ask HubPages to help document your claim?
      Oh, nevermind. That is just awful. I'm so sorry.
      Peg

1. WillStarr profile image81
        WillStarrposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages has no say over Adsense, and while Adsense admitted that I had done nothing wrong, they still closed my account and returned all my earnings to their advertisers. That was over two years ago.

It has also happened to several other writers.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

They must have used your AdSense code and then clicked the ads.
      Did your AdSense report show a sudden increased click rate? 
      Did you report the plagiarist to AdSense?
      Report it here:
      https://support.google.com/adsense/trou … er/1190500
      Don't give up.

9. Nell Rose profile image92
    Nell Roseposted 9 years ago

I just found me on there too, what??????

Nell, this could explain some of the traffic issues you've been noticing. It has really affected my highest ranking hubs and traffic. Of course, you know what to do about it. File, file, file.
      So sorry this is happening to you. Together we will get them tossed out.
      Peg

1. Nell Rose profile image92
        Nell Roseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Haven't done it yet but i will do, thanks

10. Howard S. profile image88
    Howard S.posted 9 years ago

I looked up the Rikanita site. I don't see a search function to search for hubber names. I notice the site is entirely in Indonesian, a language I happen to speak fluently. I did not probe beyond the home page. It caters to topics of interest to women: fashion, health, shopping, etc.

Hi Howard, I used one of my URL titles in quotes and it brought up this site on Google right after my own hub. When I went to that site, there was a search bar within the page.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11899945.jpg

Now, the link on Google directs to my article but it did not the other day. It took me to a page with the Rika..name and fake links to my articles with her copyright at the bottom of the page. Perhaps it's been removed as I reported it to Google the other day.

Wow, you speak Indonesian. That's impressive!
      Peg
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11899953.jpg

11. Cee Ceecee profile image61
    Cee Ceeceeposted 9 years ago

Peg, I am so sorry this happened to you.  A similar thing happened to a friend of mine on Facebook. Someone used her name, profile pic, all of her personal pictures, etc., and proceeded to send out friend requests to everyone that was already her friend.  Definite red flag for me.  I didn't accept it. I called my friend up, and made her aware of this.  I don't know what that person's motives were, but I am sure they were not intended to be for good things.  I really hope that you can get this straightened out, and you can get back your copyrighted materials.

Hello CeeCee, Thanks so much for your concern. This is an ongoing issue with our work here and elsewhere. It seems as if I've filed more DMCAs than I've written articles. One site even used my article word for word on their promo page. Finding them and getting them taken down requires a lot of effort but I try to keep on it.
      Sorry to hear about your friend on Facebook. That happened to a couple of my friends out there, too. That is one reason I don't list my page here on my profile.
      See you,
      Peg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)