What’s Bible’s Definition of Love?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (26 posts)
  1. ngureco profile image80
    ngurecoposted 14 years ago

What’s Bible’s Definition of Love?

2. aka-dj profile image66
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

You should do a word study on the word "L O V E" both in Greek, and Hebrew. Then, once you get a bit of an idea on how the various words were used within their relative context, you will get your answer.
    However, the most commonly used word in Greek is agape', which loosely means "sacrificial, unconditional love". In other words, one does not have to perform in any particular way to receive the love they want/need. You will not be loved MORE if you are good, nor loved LESS if you are bad.
    It can also be described as a conscious free will choice to love another person, IRRESPECTIVE of ANY preconditions.
    "I love you". That's it. I think I love my wife like that. Sometimes she is not so lovable, but that changes nothing. I still love her, though she said/did something to upset me. And I can happily say the same of her. I know I upset her lots too,  but she made a DECISION to love me, "till death do us part".
    That's my understanding on the "Biblical" definition of love. Blessings. smile

3. M Cassian profile image61
    M Cassianposted 14 years ago

God. Simple as that. (1 John 4:8)

Here's a good website that explains it in detail if you want:
    http://www.allaboutgod.com/god-is-love.htm

4. RevLady profile image60
    RevLadyposted 14 years ago

What is Bible's definition of Love? God!

5. AlexPinoy profile image60
    AlexPinoyposted 14 years ago

The bible says "FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD, THAT HE GAVE HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON, THAT WHOSOEVER BELIEVETH IN HIM SHOULD NOT PERISH, BUT HAVE EVERLASTING LIFE" (JOHN 3:16 KJV)...It is that kind of love willing to sacrifice to have life in return, that all people have sinned against GOD yet the same GOD through HIS SON JESUS CHRIST, saved mankind out of HIS LOVE.

6. chellehernandez profile image60
    chellehernandezposted 14 years ago

L - ove for God & His creatures
    O- pen & endless
    V - ital core of our existence
    E - lectrifying &  magnanimous

7. needs_a_break profile image61
    needs_a_breakposted 14 years ago

why do we feel the need to define love? to understand it completly? there are somethings in the world that will never be understood fully and i think one of them is the definition of love, it is something you feel not categorize

8. profile image0
    melaenchantedposted 14 years ago

Aside from the "Love is patient, love is kind.." personally the best definition of love that came from the BIble was "Love overcomes all fear". It was better explained when Jesus overcame his fears (in fact he was sweating blood before the crucifixion) just to save us all mankind. smile

For example, if there's a child in a burning building; you would want to save that child first and not think about the fire. smile

9. pilgrimboy profile image68
    pilgrimboyposted 14 years ago

I think I will let the Bible answer that one.

“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends" John 15:12-13 (ESV).

"By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers. But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth" 1 John 3:16-18 (ESV).

10. miz_debi profile image60
    miz_debiposted 14 years ago

Love is basically the grace given to someone to be able to put up with someone, something, or a situation in their life. Love is what allows us to help a stranger in need. Love is what makes a marriage possible. Like the Bible says, its easy to love those who love you, but the true definition of love is loving those who you don't like or who hate you. For example, sometimes the "enemy" in our life is our spouse. We need love to help us put up with them when they're the biggest pain, when you know you're right but they're convinced otherwise. Love is an action. It's the sacrifice we make for someone else. We leave our comfort zone for someone else, not expecting anything and not feeling like we accomplished something. There's so much one could say about it, but I don't want to keep going on and on. I hope that answered your question smile

11. jash60 profile image58
    jash60posted 14 years ago

The Bible does not give a specific definition of what love is, but it does tells us what true love is and what it is not.  In other words, it exemplifies or demonstrates love as a divine attribute.

In the Apostle Paul's first letter to the Corinthians, he wrote about various aspects of love.  He wrote that "Love is long-suffering and kind. Love is not jealous, it does not brag, does not get puffed up, does not behave indecently, does not look for its own interest, does not become provoked, it does not keep account of the injury, it does not rejoices over unrighteousness but rejoices with the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."-1 Cor. 13:4-6

So true love involves various facets and phases.  There is no one definition for true, Godly love but the above scriptural examples.  Only if we are genuinely practicing such virtues can we can be said as practicing real, Christlike love. (John 13:34,35; 1 John 4:8)

12. scentualhealing profile image57
    scentualhealingposted 14 years ago

Jesus wants all of his followers to be known for their love of one another more than he wants us to be know for doctrinal beliefs.  "Your strong love for each other-not doctrinal beliefs- is our greatest witness to the world.  Your strong love for each other will prove to the world that you are my disciples.."

It goes on to say that "love is not a good part of your life;its the most important part of your life.  Let love be your greatest aim.  Relationships must take priority in your life above all else."

"No matter what I say, what I do and what I believe, Im bankrupt without love."

True fellowship-in serving, sharing, studying, sympathetic, kind, caring, sharing, lending a helping hand, allowing for other peoples differences, faults or seeming inefficiencies, humbleness and gentleness. 

Sharing in their suffering where we enter into each others pain and help to carry their burdens is the deepest most intense level of love.

"These three things continue forever: faith, hope, love.  And love is the greatest of these all."

These are all quotes from the bible, above.

4 out of the 10 commandments deal with our love relationship to God.
    6 out of the 10 commandments deal with our love relationships to people.
    All 10 commandments deal with  love relationships.

Love will last forever, not acquiring things or achievements.

Love leaves a legacy.  Its not what you do for someone that matters but how much love you put into it that matters.

When someone is on their deathbed and they are taking their last breath,  no one has ever said,"Bring me my gold watch, bring me my diplomas, show me my rewards and medals."

When life on earth is ending, people do not want to be surrounded by objects.  What we want is people-people we love and have relationships with.

Do not wait until you are on your deathbed to figure that out.

Last quote:
    When we are sitting being judged, we will be judged by how much we loved other people and God.  "Truly I tell you, just as you did it to the least of my followers, you did it to me."

"The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love."

peace

13. callmefoxxy profile image69
    callmefoxxyposted 14 years ago

I just finished a hub called " The Perfect Truth Of Love" in which I quote '1 Corinthian 13' from the bible.  This scripture tells us clearly what love is... 
        'Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy,
         it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude,
         it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered,
         it keeps no record of wrongs.
         Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
         It always protects, always trusts, always hopes,
         always perseveres. Love never fails.'

I hope this is helpful to you.

callmefoxxy, my pen is a mighty sword!

14. Laughing_Leo profile image58
    Laughing_Leoposted 14 years ago

Agape-the love of God or Christ for humankind

15. 2besure profile image80
    2besureposted 14 years ago

When referring to God's love towards us, it mean to care for deeply and unconditionally.

16. profile image0
    snow_white88posted 14 years ago

Nothing defines love for me better than 1 Corinthians 13

Love

1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.
    4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

17. karobi profile image63
    karobiposted 14 years ago

the Biblical definition of the word love is just pure sacrifice. Because that is exactly what Jesus did for us in the cross of calvary. And the teaching of our LORD Jesus Christ is centered on nothing else but on love. So in one word, the definition of love in the Bible is SACRIFICE

18. Mitch Alan profile image79
    Mitch Alanposted 14 years ago

Biblical Love is the emptying of ourselves in sacrifice for others...it is only possible when that emptying is followed by being filled with God's own love...it is this love and this love alone that enables us to love others...We love, in the truest sense of the word, when HE loves through us...

19. lenkasvec profile image60
    lenkasvecposted 14 years ago

I think that the the secret of God´s love is defined not only by the fact that He gave His life for us  ( "By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers." ) but most of all by the fact that He gave the life of His only Son  ( "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish...) I am sure that anyone of you who´s got children would agree that you can imagine the situation in which you would give your life for someone else - especially for your children. But can you imagine giving the life of your child to safe the life of someone else - even your other child? Who of us would be ready to make such decision? (Think of Sophie´s choice...) For me, that is the deepest secret of Trinity - so that He can give us not only His own life but the life of His only Son as well... That´s how much He loves us!

20. craftybegonia profile image60
    craftybegoniaposted 13 years ago

Calvary's cross. What Jesus did there IS the clearest definition of love you will ever find.

21. CrystalisRad profile image59
    CrystalisRadposted 13 years ago

Love is from God. In fact it says "Love is God." Love was on the main characteristics of God. Inturn, God gave us the capacity of love. This capacity of love is one of the ways in which we are "created in the image of God."

22. profile image0
    Claricefeliciaposted 13 years ago

Love is patient, love is kind, and God is Love!

23. profile image0
    DaveLawrenceMusicposted 13 years ago

Jesus said, no greater love is this, than one lays down his life for his friends. 

The Bibles definition of love in a sense, is found God's response to us.  Being willing to die so that we might live.

24. shwetha123 profile image61
    shwetha123posted 12 years ago

To be very honest i have never read Bible. But its my opinion in every Holy book Love has only one definition.

# Love is free from all sins.

# Love is free from all worldly desires.

# Love is as pure as God's prayer.

# Love does not need any thing in return. Its unconditional.

25. renee21 profile image79
    renee21posted 11 years ago

Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.  Charity never faileth.  1 Corinthians 13:4-8

26. ReneeDC1979 profile image59
    ReneeDC1979posted 10 years ago

God is Love: 1 John 4:8:

Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. (NIV)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)