Should an 11 year old be allowed to play Black Ops and Modern Warfare?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Dave Harris profile image67
    Dave Harrisposted 13 years ago

Should an 11 year old be allowed to play Black Ops and Modern Warfare?

2. stuart747 profile image61
    stuart747posted 13 years ago

I love the game and the whole Call of Duty series however over here in the UK the game is rated as an 18 certificate and I believe rightly so, Most 11 year olds will probably have seen worse violence on the TV as witth this game as a parent it is your decision whether you would let your child watch an 18 certificate film,
    I have not yet finished the game but as you can imagine there is a lot of shooting people which results in blood splatter and some scenes see the lead character killing people with a knife to the back of the neck, at least the bad language is moderate and there is no sexual violence.

3. profile image0
    Adam Rposted 13 years ago

At 11 the child has probably seen much worse as is. I have played pretty much every series of call of duty and black ops has some pretty gritty scenes. If your child understands the difference between virtual and reality then it may not be too bad. However if they have a hard time or like to mimic video games then this would be cause to not allow them to play it. The game is rated mature as there is quite a bit of violence in Single Player and Multiplayer and several scenes that involve some cinema graphic gore. Also anyone who plays online will come across people who like to get on the mic and swear worse than a sailor because mommy and daddy aren't home. Personally I'd say no.

4. marcus1305 profile image57
    marcus1305posted 13 years ago

i think the game is a little to much for an 11 year old the other day i was playing with a 12 year old and he was cusing at me for no reason.

5. profile image50
    Hoodyyposted 13 years ago

I think it depends on the child.

My little brother is 12 and my parents bought him Black Ops. Obviously it's a fun game and, although very violent, I believe my brother certainly knows it's not real and he doesn't take any of it to heart (who knows, perhaps he plays 'war' in the playground, but who didn't at that age, COD or no COD?).

If this 11 year old is intelligent then I think he would understand and it should be fine. Having said this, my little brother has two old brothers, one 16 and me, 20 - therefore he's grown up with us doing these things, perhaps making him more numb to the effects.

It's hard to say. I know when I was 11 the worse game I was playing was Tekken on the PS1, but that promotes fighting!?

In conclusion, I have to say that it all depends on the 11 year old to whether they should play it. Obviously, they shouldn't - but this isn't a perfect world and they do. It's whether or not you want them to miss out on the part of their childhood where they go into school and discuss with their friends how much they 'owned' last night and what time they're going to play that night.

I also think it promotes teamwork and builds friendships (although you must make them go out and play football with his friends sometimes, keep them fit and all that!)

6. profile image50
    bailther19970posted 12 years ago

I would say yes and no because in black ops like a few are saying the back of the neck stabbing and the shooting, but to me my 4 year old brother plays it and he is fine off with it he don't curse or anything so kids who are very well behaved should be, but like some who take everthing the say and make it into a sexuall comment they are the ones who are imature. Im 13 and i see nothing wrong in black ops i mean woods one of the main characters ... you cant be...  "says lets get the f*ck or hell out of here" which happens alot in war which the kids who make it into a sexuall comment say it ment somebody is having sex and sombody walked into the house kinda thing.

7. JT Walters profile image73
    JT Waltersposted 12 years ago

Only if they are shipping out ot war. If not they need to be studying.

8. Jonesy0311 profile image59
    Jonesy0311posted 12 years ago

Absolutely not! If you want to let your child idolize combat, do what a Marine friend of mine did: Buy the kid a bunny. After a week of him/her growing attached, shoot it in the head with a Colt 1911 in front of him/her and explain that this is what guns really do to people. If you don't want to try the bunny thing...tell them to wait until they're old enough to buy it on their own.

9. IntuitiveMind profile image60
    IntuitiveMindposted 12 years ago

Ok, let's put this in perspective.  My 11 year old step son plays Modern Warfare and Call of Duty. He's almost at expert level. He is no criminal, isn't violent and knows the difference between reality and fantasy. Video games don't make kids violent. Hear me out.
    When I was a child, I watched Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner. Now, Bugs Bunny was forever being shot, clubbed, blown up, etc. and then he was totally fine. Roadrunner....same thing. The cartoons depicted violence -but I grew up none the worse for it. It's TV. And what about movies? Are they not violent?
    It's more important you raise your child with love, and no amount of shooting in a video game will turn him into a monster if he's a normal child. Time limits are optimal, and of course, school comes first. But in the end, it's up to the child's level of maturity and what the parent is comfortable with.

10. Chasing Riley profile image74
    Chasing Rileyposted 12 years ago

I agree with the people who say it depends on the kid. I've noticed that most kids at that age definitely understand that it is fake. I doesn't seem to have the impact of desensitizing them to real violence. All that being said, the amount of time they play is more of an issue. When my kids play for longer than an hour, I notice that they start to get more agitated. At that point we turn it off and send everyone outside to play. I also think it's nice for kids to have long breaks from all video games. Sometimes we go months without any.

11. jg555 profile image61
    jg555posted 12 years ago

I think it depends on the kid. If he is already violent then no, but if he just a normal kid without any kind of psychological issues, then they would probably be okay.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)