What is the best breed of dog to give a child for a pet?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Dviews profile image59
    Dviewsposted 13 years ago

What is the best breed of dog to give a child for a pet?

2. profile image0
    L a d y f a c eposted 13 years ago

In my experience, a Lab, Shepard or Retriever work well as child pets. They're hyper, but friendly and very loyal, loving dogs. It depends on what you're looking for.

3. Stories Inc. profile image65
    Stories Inc.posted 13 years ago

I had a German Sheppard growing up. They grow pretty big, but they're really gentle giants, they would never hurt a child. They see it as their 'sheep' and would defend it against anything. Mine was actually rather calm instead of hyper, it depends on the dog. I've heard that dogs that are in the middle when they're born (not the first of the litter and not the last) are generally best to keep around children, I don't know if that makes sense.

4. alexandruv profile image59
    alexandruvposted 13 years ago

I'm not sure this is a wise idea. A pet should NEVER be given as a gift, especially to a child.

Reason is simple: over time, the kid will lose interest and the animal will suffer.

5. profile image52
    dawiec@austin.rr.posted 13 years ago

In my experience a Golden lab has bee great.  It laid down next to my daughter when she was a baby and got that deep growl when someone the dog didn't know got too close.After our voice command it's " ok " she moved away and let the visitor coo.  This is the 2nd one we've had and they are as gentle as they are protective.

6. Seeker7 profile image81
    Seeker7posted 13 years ago

Hi,

I'm sure you've not only thought about this but planned for the future for both the child and the dog? Also, although you say the dog will be a gift, please don't ever leave a dog and a child alone together unless the child is older and has knowledge and experience of handling dogs. Sorry if I sound bossy or 'know all' but it can take people by surprise just how much work a dog can be and I've also witnessed quite a few tradgedies working with rescue dogs - in the main, tradgedy that could have been avoided for both the family and the dog if proper attention and planning had been made prior to buying the animal.

If you've done your homework and made your plans properly then some of the best dogs can be the cross-breeds or labradors. I wouldn't go for high energy dogs such as the Collies or the German Shepherds - they are excellent dogs but in order to look after them properly you are much better to have past experience and knowledge as they can take a lot of handling and at times can be unpredictable. They are also highly intelligent and get bored very easily and this can cause major problems if they don't get this 'high energy' worked off. Retrievers are also a good breed but can be very 'bouncy' especially around children and that can be pretty scary for a child who has not had a dog before.

Also look on the internet and visit your local vet/pet health care centre for information on the breed you have chosen and for general advice on health and puppy training. It is also a good idea to visit some of the local dog trainers in the area, they are a great source of support and advice for anyone getting a dog.

Hope this helps and sincere apologies for the lecture!

7. kristle140 profile image60
    kristle140posted 13 years ago

To choosing a best dog breeds for children is very important. You need to choose the good characteristics dog breeds whose are gentle with the children and also patient to the children.

Here are the Some of the Best Dog Breeds for children:

* Australian Shepherd
        * Beagle
        * Bearded Collie
        * Bernese Mountain Dog
        * Bichon Frise
        * Boston Terrier
        * Boxer
        * Cocker Spaniel
        * English Bulldog
        * Golden Retriever
        * Labrador Retriever
        * Poodle
        * Schnauzer

You may can research more information about other best dog breeds for children at http://www.dogbreeds-and-doggie.com/bes … ldren.html

Good Luck! Hope this help! : )

8. profile image48
    lostzenfoundposted 13 years ago

This question was partly answered by a hub I just created, but there is a Piki on Pikimal about dog breeds that are best for kids. It's pretty legit: http://pikimal.com/best/dog-breeds/141

9. PetCollars profile image58
    PetCollarsposted 12 years ago

I love miniature schnauzer  breed because they are playful and energetic! this dog is also intelligent.. so interesting!

10. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 12 years ago

As a child we had various breeds of terriers, Kelpies and Collies. We never had a problem with them being aggressive or accidental injuries from over excited children or dogs.
    I do not have children  (of the two legged variety, anyway) but would give them a Labrador. My brother has two children and they have a black Lab. You can't get much more energetic than a Lab!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)