The extension of tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans is supposed to stimulate

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Brupie profile image66
    Brupieposted 13 years ago

The extension of tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans is supposed to stimulate job growth, will it?

2. sueroy333 profile image72
    sueroy333posted 13 years ago

I don't know about stimulating job growth, but I do believe the unemployment rates will go up if the tax cuts are ended.

The people who will be hurt by ending these tax cuts aren't going to hire more people if the cuts continue, but if you take them away the results will be, I believe, devastating.

If you tax a business, they up their rates. If you tax fuel, the trucking companies charge more to bring in goods, which we pay more for at the store.

I believe that thinking "we'll tax the rich and that'll bring us more money" is naive. Profits will stay the same, everyone but the businesses and the extremely wealthy will lose.

3. profile image57
    foreignpressposted 13 years ago

Much of the problem with tax hikes on the wealthy is that this money is misused -- even squandered -- by special interests in Congress. If this "extra money" was used to pay down trillions of dollars of debt it might be justified. But that is seldom the case. And, it has been said, the job creators who are heavily taxed then make adjustments such as layoffs and hiring freezes.
       This country needs to entrench and get back to its core values. These include manufacturing, research and development, and promoting small business startups.
       Another problem is that most businesses plan ahead two years or more and base their internal expenses accordingly. So to "rethink" tax cuts in 2012 is meaningless as business still has no idea what the future holds.

4. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

too many people think that tax cuts for the wealthy are ok. it might create a few jobs but it also unfairly adds to their wealth while the little guy works harder to make up the need taxes. if the government really wanted to create jobs they would give tax breaks to new businesses and only let wealthy companies that share their profits with employees have tax cuts. 1% of the wealthy have 95% of the wealth and somehow these people need a tax cut. surely you jest.

5. peterxdunn profile image59
    peterxdunnposted 13 years ago

No. In a global economy investors can place their money anywhere they like in the world. This means that they will invest their money where they can get the best return on it.

The Thatcher government: here in the UK, bamboozled the British electorate with precisely this ruse to further enrich people who were already rich - and impoverish the rest of us. They said tax cuts for the wealthy would lead to an 'entrepreneurial economy' that would create jobs. They were right - in a way. Jobs were created. In China.

Never trust the rich to do the decent thing. They don't care about the rest of us. It  doesn't really matter - either - how much tax is levied upon them; whether its a small or large amount, they'll still try to avoid paying it by salting their ill gotten gains away in offshore investment trusts from where tax collection is impossible.

Question - do some Americans believe that defending the right of the rich to get richer: by shoving the tax burden onto the poor, will improve their chances of becoming rich?

6. GNelson profile image61
    GNelsonposted 13 years ago

The proof is in the past eight years these tax cuts have been in place.  The money will continue to flow to the top and the top 2% will get richer while the rest of us look for jobs.  If these tax cuts to the richest 2% created jobs, where are the jobs.  The truth is that the top 2% give very large donations to political candidates and this is their payback.  Look at the facts, don't listen to the BS.

7. someonewhoknows profile image73
    someonewhoknowsposted 13 years ago

Why not attach a provision that job creation be a measure of how much of a tax break they get.That would be the most logical approach ,if job creation is at the crux of those tax cuts.

8. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

We've had these tax rates for the past few years, has it stimulated job growth? No, it hasn't. Why would continuing down the exact same path create improved results. eculligan is just plain wrong, both in policy and history. Trickle down economics didn't work for a very simple reason that most economists now understand. The richer a person is, the lower the percentage of their income they will spend. A person earning $20,000 per year might spend 90% of their income on housing, car payments, food, and taxes. A person earning $2,000,000 typically does not spend 90% of their income, because $1,800,000 is a lot to spend in one year. A person can only enjoy so many houses and cars. The marginal tax rate for the highest bracket used to be over 90%. I'm not suggesting it should go that high, but even if we got it to the 50% rate that was in place during the early years of the Reagan administration it would be a huge step in the right direction.

9. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Economists disagree.

I agree with D.B. Cooper:  they've had these cuts for years and we've just slid farther down hill.  I'd also add that the money we gave them thorough these cuts probably IS being invested in jobs - jobs in India, perhaps, not here.

10. Wayne Brown profile image80
    Wayne Brownposted 13 years ago

It certainly will help especially in the small business sector in which more than 25% of all jobs are created (companies with less than 50 employees). The difference in taxes may be it possible for some of these companies to go ahead with hires they were otherwise holding back on.  While the tax situation will help, ObamaCare still stands as a very large "what if" with small employers who have no real idea how this legislation is going to affect their business operation.  With that question hanging over them, small business may continue to hold back in the job sector a bit longer until things become clear on healthcare.  WB

11. Brupie profile image66
    Brupieposted 13 years ago

I'm always suspicious of Republicans making claims about looking out for small businesses since the Bush administration and the 1996 Republican-controlled congress both tried to eliminate the Small Business Administration - the single largest source of loan guarantees to small businesses.  I think they were just looking after their fat-cat cronies.

12. Smaridge01 profile image66
    Smaridge01posted 13 years ago

In my limited experience, I see wealthy business owners buying new cars with tax cuts, or buying real estate (here and abroad). These people don't really seem to stop and think, gee, I got a deal from the government, now I can hire more people and make this country a better place. Seemingly, they just think about how they can use it to get even MORE money, without regard for anyone else. So no, I don't believe those tax breaks for the wealthy will help at all.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)