has this recession honestly caused you to buy products made in your country?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

has this recession honestly caused you to buy products made in your country?

did you change your spending habbits to help bring back your economy?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4429997_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

I have made a concience effort the last two years to not only buy more American , but to buy more period.. It  is important to us all.  We must morph into a new economy for Americans that is more centrally focused on American employment policies ,and a new focus on rechanneling our use away from foriegn dependence.. It matters whether we want to admit it or not to buy American.

3. Emily40 profile image60
    Emily40posted 13 years ago

No it hasnt I still buy imported things and my spending habbits are almost the same. It's not much of a problem over here in Trinidad.

4. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 13 years ago

I always buy home grown where possible, recession or not.
    I'm roasting chicken tomorrow,  That is English, as is the bacon that will cover it and all the other vegetables I will serve.  The English mushrooms were sitting on the supermarket shelf next to Dutch mushrooms, why do we want Dutch mushrooms and why do we want Spanish Savoy cabbage, Egyptian potatoes..., we have English farmers.  I've always bought this way: English - British - Irish - British Commonwealth countries.  If there is something I can't get this way, I go without.  I, reluctantly, have a foreign car, we needed one quickly and that was the only one available at the time in our price range. that's the way it goes.

5. hillrider profile image60
    hillriderposted 13 years ago

Growing up in a small town you learn to meet and know your neighbors. As an adult, I have tried to maintain this habit. This includes purchasing home grown and home made items too. I go to the farmers market and purchase my fresh goods and baked items there, from the folks who grow them or bake them, not from some giant conglomerate that has no idea what has gone into these products.
    We used to get all our meat directly from the farmers as a kid and have it taken to the butcher and have it cut.This aspect is missed these days as I haven't been back to the farm in years.

This personal touch assured I grew up healthy and had a good jump on the nutrition train my parents hoped I would ride into and through adulthood.It has.

I live in a city now that was built by the unions - Flint, Michigan. When GM pulled out of this city and gave all the jobs away to foreign countries I began to wonder how the loyalty Americans show purchasing American cars was returned.In my opinion, it hasn't been.

The people who have big money and are purchasing luxury vehicles show a trend toward European vehicles like Mercedes and BMW. It has always been the little guy who supported these large corporations, spending their hard earned cash at home with the thought of keeping the money close to home. Watching our country go through this current recession knowing that GM and many other financial giants are still going to create additional jobs elsewhere and ask us to buy their products with money from jobs that are no longer here, just seems ludicrous.

I am starting to rant so I will stop. Yes, I try to buy here and pay here, but like these secondary financial markets I am wondering if the interest is just out of reach...Thanks for asking this question though, ya got me to thinking about this.

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years ago

. . . .Yes and No, "no;" because I have no money to spend on anything made from anywhere; "yes" because I do contribute to "buying American," and now that I think of it, and assuming that you are from Canada; I've also got some product articles in the works that will promote some fine acoustic instruments manufactured in the beautiful nation of Canada.

7. Wayne Brown profile image80
    Wayne Brownposted 13 years ago

That effect may be there but I doubt that it is a primary one. I think the recession is more about consumers just spending less period because of job fears and instability in the employment sector. Really small business cannot get back to a true normal situation until some level of consumer confidence returns.  People are eating out a bit less; restaurants feel the strain. At the same time, the cost of transporting food products will be going up at all retail levels including restaurants and grocery stores due to significant jumps in diesel fuel prices by the end of the first quarter of this year. By summer, we will really be feeling it. Consumers will faced more and more with how much gas do I put in the car and how much does that leave me for food...two essentials...get to work and earn money, eat to stay alive.  This will make it increasing difficult for many businesses to remain open which in turn will create more unemployment.  You might notice at the root of all of this circular upward trend is the price of a barrel of oil...yet America is still not ready to drill.  By the tend people are screaming "calf-rope" and begging someone to drill, it may be too late. The government is hanging in the balance here as well because they cannot hope to improve revenue streams singificantly unless business gets back on track.  In light of all of that, buying American has little real impact in terms of stopping the recession. WB

8. mcrawford76 profile image90
    mcrawford76posted 13 years ago

Has the American loyalty been lost - yes
    Have American jobs been lost due to this - yes
    America spends about 40 billion a year importing products from other countries.
    America exports about 9 billion a year.
    Anyone else see a problem here?

But I think the real problem is the war - America is spending $255 million per day, or a little less than $1.8 billion a week on a war we CAN NOT WIN. Unless of course you can figure out how to change a relgion.

9. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 13 years ago

No; but I'll only work for companies that manufacture within the US. There are a few still in the technology industry. The consumer-based economy has hurt us. The federal government borrows too much money from the nations that import their goods to the US. Until the government becomes insolvent, the free market will not be able to rebuild itself with so much foreign competition.

10. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

It's made me still go for the cheap items which probably are not made in America.  If people have even less money, how can they buy more pricey items anyway.  Vicious cycle.

11. profile image52
    Andy the Greatposted 13 years ago

Not really, but it does sometimes factor into my decision making process. It has for as long as I've been a consumer. I prefer to support small local businesses over big chain stores, but there are certainly times that big chain stores are the only ones that have what I'm looking to buy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)