Are you planning on hoarding on gasoline before the prices go up even further?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)
  1. ptosis profile image68
    ptosisposted 13 years ago

Are you planning on hoarding on gasoline before the prices go up even further?

Volatility in gasoline prices: Give your prediction of peak gasoline prices for March 2011
    Last week I filled up tank @ $3.12 and in 7 days it's now $3.25. The prediciton was a peak price of $3.24. I predict $4 in March for the Tuscon area.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4667753_f260.jpg

2. gator strong profile image59
    gator strongposted 13 years ago

Yes, and  it's time we start drilling for our on oil needs and stop relying on OPAC countries.

3. kgormley1960 profile image60
    kgormley1960posted 13 years ago

Hoarding won't get us anywhere. If everyone stood together and not drive anywhere for a week or two the gas companies would lose so much revenue that they would be forced to lower their prices. We all need to go without driving long enough for the gas companies to change their minds on prices. People complain about gas prices but nobody wants to sacrafice for a time to make them come down to a more affordable price. All hoarding will do is continue to give them their revenue. They don't care if they get 3.25 or 4.00 but they would care if they got nothing for a time. Just my personal opinion. You can take it or leave it.

4. barbergirl28 profile image83
    barbergirl28posted 13 years ago

Hoarding isn't going to be the answer... imagine the money that you have to spend in order to get all the gas containers needed to even make a difference. If you have a 5 gallon gas can (which is priced out on Amazon at just about $20) and you need 15 gallons to fill up your vehicle, then you have to spend at an average of $3.50 per gallon (which is about what we have here in California), filling up your car just once will cost you $112.50!!!

So, unless you already have a ton load of gas cans just laying around... filling up a 15 gallon gas tank at $4 sounds pretty cheap in comparison!

By the way, that is $112.50 per time filling up. I know I go through about one tank of gas a week. And hoarding the gas will be more expensive then just getting the gas at the price it is. The only benefit... if everyone hoarded enough gasoline to make it so they did not have to purchase gas for at least a month all at the same time... then, like kgormley said, then they might be forced to lower their prices! But, once people start purchasing gas again, those prices will go right back up!

5. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

nope. you can only hoard so much and it will become a fire hazard. i'd rather pay more , then make my home unsafe.

6. NathalieB profile image60
    NathalieBposted 13 years ago

No. Hoarding is not the answer here, like the others have said. When there was a gas shortage here in the South East (which interestingly no one reported on until a week later) people were hoarding like crazy, and all it resulting in was there not being enough gas for everyone. It's better to cut down on gas consumption when you can, and like someone else said, to try and cut down on their revenue. To hoard now is to just provide more revenue, and more demand, which could drive the price up.

7. Jangaplanet profile image59
    Jangaplanetposted 13 years ago

I believe that if the government were to cut taxes on gas it would be affordable again. I know it won't happen , but this is the only way to bring it down. Has for hoarding ,well that would only achieve a short term effect.

8. Mr.Moonlight profile image60
    Mr.Moonlightposted 13 years ago

Yes, I am. I am going to fill up a whole bunch of plastic gas cans and stack them up in my apartment, right next to my gas stove top. I may even fill up the bathtub with gasoline and bathe in it!

9. safiq ali patel profile image67
    safiq ali patelposted 13 years ago

No. I have no plans to hoard gasoline at all. I had a bolt of wisdom in 2008 when my income dropped sharply. I took my car off the road. And since then I have planned my movements to get the bus. I have no regrets about this move. Yes at first it was hard adjusting to having no wheels. But I am coping. The price of petrol can only go up because of the crisis in Libya and Egypt. I just refuse to go bankrupt for the sake of having a car and burning up petrol. I have restricted mobility because of health problems. I miss getting out and seeing all the places and faces my car used to take me. But nevertheless I comfort myself daily knowing that I am saving a small fortune by disposing of my car and not having petrol to pay for each day or week. I also feel good because while I am not burning up car fuel my carbon footprint has dropped too. I'm not saying getting about is easy. But the saving I make each day, week and month from not having a car, insurance, hp or fuel to pay for are quite a sum. If you can handle not having a car and relying on taxi or public transport then I would highly recommend this.

10. profile image57
    rieomposted 13 years ago

I work from home so my gas consumption is not high.  However, I will try to keep the tank filled before gas prices go up.

11. marketingskeptic profile image66
    marketingskepticposted 13 years ago

Nope, no hoarding. I can't help but feel like as if it'd be a fire hazard. If you can, try and get a gas efficient car or maybe even a hybrid in the future so you can minimize your carbon footprint. Plus, it'd save you the worry when prices fluctuate.

12. robie2 profile image78
    robie2posted 13 years ago

I'd buy a Hybrid before hoarding.  Hoarding doesn't work for the long haul-- I suspect gas will go to $4.00 a gallon.  I intend to drive less, carpool more and keep my fingers crossed that it will go down again sooner or later

13. ptosis profile image68
    ptosisposted 13 years ago

all great answers. Yup, unless you have a 50 gallon barrell stored outside away from the house - hoarding is not an option. Beside gas goes stale after a year

14. Alt_Writer21 profile image61
    Alt_Writer21posted 13 years ago

Hoarding is probably the last thing I would do. Everyone has presented good points as to why you shouldn't and even alternative measures that can be taken. I'm betting gasoline prices will rise above $4.00 within the next two months or so. Until then, I'm going to invest in a bike and carpooling.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)