"Speak Now or forever hold your peace". Have you seen anyone speak at this point

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. jlastevens profile image60
    jlastevensposted 13 years ago

"Speak Now or forever hold your peace". Have you seen anyone speak at this point during a wedding?

It was just a thought. You see in movies where ex-boyfriends rush into the church and proclaim their eternal love right at the point where the preacher says "Speak now of forever hold your peace." Has anyone actually seen this happen in real life, or seen an angry mother-in-law blurt out that this isn't the right person for her child? or is this all just made up for the movies?

2. profile image0
    marellenposted 13 years ago

Nope never and I've been to plenty of weddings. It does make for a good movie scene though.

3. Knowledge Share profile image64
    Knowledge Shareposted 13 years ago

Ive never heard anyone speak but possibly the first wedding I ever went to was a wedding between two of my School friends. They were very young, both being 18 at the time. The wedding took place in a beautiful old church in Formby near Liverpool (England). All was going well until the "Speak now or forever hold your peace" moment. There was a slight pause as always when everybody wonders if somebody is going to say something, and as often, a few nervous giggles (especially with a room full of 18 year olds !), and then there was the most almighty crash as the organ pipes from the 80 year old Church organ fell off the wall !

Fortunately Karen, the Bride, saw the funny side and quick as a flash said "anyone else ?".

This might have been seen as a bad omen but I am happy to report that the couple are still together and that incident took place in 1980

4. ReikiHelper profile image55
    ReikiHelperposted 13 years ago

lol nice one. I have wondered that too... never seen it happen in real life though.

5. Sweetsusieg profile image75
    Sweetsusiegposted 13 years ago

I actually refused to go to a wedding because of this very same thing.  I knew that had I went I would have stood up and said my peace.  It was a dear friend who I felt was marrying the wrong man.  She was pretty upset with me for not going and said "You were supposed to come to support me".  When I explained that I didn't support her decision, she was upset but not angry.

The marriage ended in divorce within 3 years, with A LOT of happenings/beatings in between.  The last I knew he was in prison, and her new husband adopted her child.   

She has since said to me, "I should have listened to you"...

6. ChristineVianello profile image59
    ChristineVianelloposted 13 years ago

I have never seen it, how crazy would that be. I have seen it in movies and TV shows though.

7. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 13 years ago

Never actually seen it.  But years and years ago my husband's best friend was getting married to a gal we all knew was wrong for him.  When it came to that part of the service, he looked at my husband and I swear was imploring him to say something.  He looked like a deer in a headlight.  Marriage lasted about 3 years and he divorced her and married his high school sweetheart and it worked, they are still married 35 years later.

8. zoey24 profile image76
    zoey24posted 13 years ago

No but i always find myself looking around the church at that point in anticipation lol

9. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 13 years ago

my first husband and i were married out doors and at that moment where the preacher asks the question,..... the nieghbors jack-ass decided to start braying at the top of its lungs,... it caused quite the round of laughter,.. we seperated and divorced 14 years later,... smart old jack-ass.

10. LeeWalls profile image60
    LeeWallsposted 13 years ago

I've only seen that in movies but in all the weddings I've been too noone has ever said anything, maybe if there was someone that didn't agree, kept their mouth shut and those that definitely were opposed just didn't go.

11. evanlaeys profile image61
    evanlaeysposted 13 years ago

Do ministers still ask this question? I've never heard it and as a wedding celebrant, I never ask if anyone objects. After all, the decision is between the bride and the groom!

12. tamarindcandy profile image60
    tamarindcandyposted 12 years ago

Never, wish something like that would happen though, it'd be entertaining to watch.

13. Chasing Riley profile image85
    Chasing Rileyposted 12 years ago

I love your question. I've never seen it in person. Thanks for making me laugh Knowledge Share and Stclairjack. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)