Why does it bug me so much when I see my hubscores going down?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Mrs. Menagerie profile image90
    Mrs. Menagerieposted 13 years ago

Why does it bug me so much when I see my hubscores going down?

It is not supposed to matter, especially when it is just a point or 2 but it really gets to me.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4917957_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Lesleysherwoodposted 13 years ago

Because you want to progress on hub-pages, so even if you know that its nothing to worry about, your irrational mind sees the negative.  No one wants to go backwards and I think its a fear it will continue reducing.  I'm quite new to hub-pages so need to research the site a lot more, but I'm with you really, I don't like my scores going down either:)

3. wingedcentaur profile image63
    wingedcentaurposted 13 years ago

Despite myself I feel exactly the same way. In the great cosmic scheme of things its not supposed to matter, as you say. But as Lesleysherwood says, no one wants to go backward.... This happens to me all of the time.

As you may know, just precisely what the scoring criteria is that HubPages uses, is a complete unfathomable mystery, and meant to be that way. They have their own "black box," as it were. Perhaps theyr afraid that if they (HubPages) stated their criteria clearly (I mean in the key to keeping a certain score, going up without going down) they would get too much "pandering" sort of work, you know (and there's plenty of that already as it is).

If I really wanted to be "anal" about this, I might note that there are some favored hubbers who are always touching the magical 100 mark, and though their score does fall its never lower than 95! And so on and so forth.

4. Daffy Duck profile image61
    Daffy Duckposted 13 years ago

It bugs everyone a little I imagine.  A lot of people equate a score going down with people not liking it as much as you would have hoped.  We want people to like what we write.  Our hub score, hub traffic, and comments help to show us how we do.  It's only natural to want to do really good in something you enjoy doing.

5. kafsoa profile image62
    kafsoaposted 13 years ago

Good students always feel the same smile But that inspires you to get your record back and work harder wink

6. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
    LuisEGonzalezposted 13 years ago

To me the answer is simple. If your profile score goes below a certain number(75 or 70) then your outgoing links receive a statute of  "no follow", the same holds true for hubs that fall below a certain score( not sure what this score is).

The formula appears to be based on the total number of visitors with out much weight given to amount of hubs and followers.

I have noticed several new hubers that have been on HP for a few weeks, with very few hubs and few followers yet they have a profile score in the nineties. From what I understand this is correlated to the number of visitors and the span of time during which your hubs are visited. With that said, if these new hubbers write content that is well accepted by visitors, then more power to them.

7. Hantaywee profile image59
    Hantayweeposted 13 years ago

Since I just joined the site, I honestly have no idea what the scores mean but if I did, I'd probably feel the exact same way. I guess that means I should probably read into how I gain them.

8. diogenes profile image69
    diogenesposted 13 years ago

You (we) are hard-wired by natural selection (evolution) to succeed.  So when we perceive ourselves as not fulfilling our genetic mandate, we get a mental nudge to do something about it.
    Also, HP is quite good about urging us to get higher ratings.

Diogenese (Bob)

9. 61MT profile image40
    61MTposted 13 years ago

I think it bugs everyone because we don't want to lose points.  We all expect are hubs to do well and stay strong.

10. DonDWest profile image72
    DonDWestposted 13 years ago

It bothers me like a gross pimple showing up on my forehead that I just want to squeeze right out. I hate it when my hubscores go down. I'm an 88 now! I haven't been 88 since my first week!

11. Jlbowden profile image85
    Jlbowdenposted 13 years ago

I guess its just a part of being human and our emotional make-up. But I have to agree with the rest of you here...because it bugs me too when my score suddenly drops. In fact it was 93 after writing a few quality hubs, about three days ago. Now on Saturday eve. I find it sitting at 89. But I think some of this has to do with me clicking on a few other hubbers that I wanted to follow. Somewhere in the forums I read that this could be one of the main reasons for a drop in hub score. Anyway back to the typewriter.

Jl

12. profile image0
    writeronlineposted 13 years ago

I feel your frustration - we're all wired to want to do well, so any scoring system inspires/challenges us to try harder. As with you though, I find it unfathomable, to the point of irritating, when my efforts haven't reduced; yet my hubscore has...

I was 'inspired' enough by the whole question to write a (not altogether serious) 'ode to the hubscore', of all things. If you're a bit bored today, rock over to the poetry section and see if you concur... :-)

13. whaturmissing profile image76
    whaturmissingposted 13 years ago

In addition to the other comments posted, I also think it's because you don't have control over how to change it.  If you received feedback and knew how to change it, then it'd feel a bit better I think.

14. profile image0
    Dandraposted 13 years ago

Yes this is a pickle. It worries me too, day and night sometimes. The best way to deal with it is to just accept it, that something as momentus as this cannot ruin your concentration from what matters in life.

15. Leptirela profile image73
    Leptirelaposted 13 years ago

Because you  get a little 'drop' feeling in your breath when you see it, and the question 'why' ringing above your head?!..

Its just a natural reaction, we are used to the Hub score now and each time you refresh it you'd like to keep up the level, I guess  feeling a lil' disappointed is what bothers us.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)