Are political parties really needed in America? Why do you think so?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Phillip Ball profile image60
    Phillip Ballposted 12 years ago

Are political parties really needed in America?
    Why do you think so?

What if we abolished political parties altogether? George Washington urged us not to create them, he said it would divide the country. Thomas Jefferson was a member of one, but only because he realizes that even that early in our country's history he needed party backing to become a part of the government. He was also against them. Two founding fathers were against them, but they are strong today. You need either party backing or a lot of your own money to run for office in this country. Do you agree with this?

2. Phillip Ball profile image60
    Phillip Ballposted 12 years ago

I believe that they divide Our nation, and cause us to pay taxes for nothing to get done in government. There is an us against them attitude on Capital Hill.

3. Jonathan Janco profile image62
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

It's not so much that we shouldn't have political parties, but that we don't have politically functioning political parties. People who vote Republican falsely believe that the Repulican party represents their views. People who vote Democrat falsely believe the Democratic Party represents their views. Politics in general go a lot deeper than Liberal or Conservative, and yet we have this cookie-cutter political party system that prevents anything from ever getting done. If we had, say, five major political parties instead of two, elections and primaries and so on may actually have an effect on creating a consensus for how the population wants the country to operate.
    As for doing away with political parties, it sounds like a genuinely good idea, but I think the population at large would find it to be a very foreign concept.

4. Wayne Brown profile image81
    Wayne Brownposted 12 years ago

I think political parties are a natural outcrop of society. That's not to say that I am a big fan but we also ask the same question as it applies to labor unions. In either case I do not see either concept doing anything significant for the people affiliate with them.  They are similar in nature in that they attempt be the "thought process and the voice" for the membership.  If we had a total open electorate, I think you would find that it would be rather frenzied and would probably cost the taxpayers more in terms of conducting elections.  When ten people all run for the same office independently and all of them share the same beliefs, all they do to accomplish is they so splinter the vote that no one in the race obtains a clear majority.  It does not move voters across the aisle, it just splinters the votes on the aisle. One could argue that we need more parties for more  choices.  That concept has not been very successful as we have seen the Liberterians only have marginal success and mostly as a splinter of the Republican Party and conservative movement.  The Tea Party has enjoyed some success on issues but this is a "movement" more so than a traditional party with traditional candidates, etc.  The Tea Party Movement tends to go in the direction of what or who best supports their basic beliefs or tenants. In most cases that is likely to be a Republican or an Independent since the movement tends to be more conservatively oriented.  Political parties in this country are much like water, they tend to find their own level naturally.  They can be dangerous in that the pie of qualified voters is only so large so when that pie is divided over more participants something usually gets splinters and the existing voter distribution becomes skewed. That does not necessarily solve anything or make it better. WB

5. Fortunate Fiasco profile image59
    Fortunate Fiascoposted 12 years ago

I personally don't think their needed and it's an unnecessary label for a politician in my opinion. It really kills me when people say that they're a "Republican" or "Democrat" and they vote for everyone on 'their side'. I believe that if politicians openly state their political beliefs and goals then their shouldn't be a problem. It would also force more people to actually know who and what they're actually voting for as opposed to just going in and voting for a specific party. I also believe that it can cause peer pressure because if a Democrat agrees with a Republican on a personal issue for example, he may feel the need to agree with his party and not 'cross over'. I'm not saying everyone is like that, but I'm saying in certain cases it can be this way. Without those parties, they could feel free to express how they feel.

6. Bibowen profile image87
    Bibowenposted 12 years ago

Political parties may still be important, but not as important as in the past. In an earlier time, American political parties helped mobilize voters and issues. Knowledge about candidates, not to mention political jobs, were dispensed through the parties. But, today we get most of our knowledge about the candidates through the electronic media and parties no longer have all those jobs to hand out since the civil service system was enacted.

However, parties do organize elections and issues in some respects. The party gives some voters guidance on how to vote. And they tend to be more important in parliamentary nations than in the US.

7. Novel Treasure profile image88
    Novel Treasureposted 12 years ago

I think the parties divide us as a nation and do give off an "us vs. them" attitude. If I believe in candidates from both parties, I shouldn't have to be pressured to vote one way or the other.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)