Do you think we need more than two major political parties in the USA?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (20 posts)
  1. retrobandit profile image61
    retrobanditposted 12 years ago

Do you think we need more than two major political parties in the USA?

Do you think the country would be better with more parties represented on a bigger scale?

2. Cow Flipper profile image73
    Cow Flipperposted 12 years ago

I will say this... we need a better system than the one we have but for now it is the best it will be. Two parties Dem and Rep that are the majority, they run things because they hold power. It will take a change in public consciousness to actually make that happen.

3. zduckman profile image60
    zduckmanposted 12 years ago

there are more that 13 political parties, but we have been brainwashed into thinking that it is a 2 party system. The key here is campaign finance reform to level the playing field so that the big 2 can't get so much corporate funding. The airwaves are public, therefore...each candidate should get equal air time to express their opinions and voice their platform.
    wehave been brainwashed to think that we have a choice...left or right...when they are really both corporate puppets doing the bidding of the oil, big Pharma, and chemical corporations as our cancer rates rise and ailments like Autism become more and more common. I don't know what it will take for us to stand up like Egypt did and say we have finally had enough.

4. ptosis profile image68
    ptosisposted 12 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4951632_f260.jpg

This is just from the Presiden tial Electoral voting system:

It's true that everybody thinks that our system - however flawed - is the best in the world - but  the Electoral College was originally intended to evade the people's vote and is a direct legacy of slavery - (3/5 compromise: black man's vote counted as 3/5 a vote from a white man.

Interesting game theory about how to count the votes - all have problems and all have ways to 'game' the system.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Intro2Games

The study of formally defined voting systems is called voting theory - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_system

5. MrMaranatha profile image73
    MrMaranathaposted 12 years ago

I think we need to have a Pre election that reduces the field to the top two candidates, and then Only the top two would be voted on in the final.

Biased Media should be Blocked from giving any opinions or coverage for 72 hour "Cooling Off Period" prior to the Final Elections to allow people a time to think for themselves without just going along with  what the Television crowd says is the right thing to do.. right candidate to vote for...

Without the nagging things like "What sort of a Moron would vote for......." and any other ways that the Media would push popular votes...

Also... Since we are on the subject... we would need to revamp the system and do away with the electoral College.

6. Bibowen profile image88
    Bibowenposted 12 years ago

We have more than two parties. However, America has (roughly) always been a nation of two dominant parties. This is largely because of our system of plurality voting which rewards first place winners; second place and below get cancelled out. So, if you want a more inclusive system, like many of the European nations, you'd have to change the electoral system to one of proportional representation.

Although the two-party system is on the way out in many places (even Britain is having a hard time sustaining it), the two-party system has its advantages. It tends to yield a more stable political result: you know who the winners are immediately after the election. You tend to get more moderate candidates and not extremists. It's also easier to understand: some of the multiparty systems have become very complicated. The plurality system of voting is straightforward: if you get more votes than your competitors, you win.

7. Beege215e profile image57
    Beege215eposted 12 years ago

I believe we would be better off without any "parties".  Let each contender stand on his own platform, let him or her speak their own truths, let each of them be found worthy or not on their own merit.  Politics be darned. I don't care if you are a republican or a democrat, I care about what you believe, truly believe. I care about what you want to do for my country. I care about honor and justice and responsibility.  I don't care about party politics as usual. I don't care about some great big political point of view. I care about the country as a whole. So throw the politics out and bring in the honor, the truth, and the responsibile.

8. Pollyannalana profile image59
    Pollyannalanaposted 12 years ago

Yes yes yes! These two know to much on each other to ever trust either and they really can't keep the other from doing real damage. We need a clean sweep and get all those old guys out just siting collecting a pay check to old to even think, except about women and vacations at our expense. Well we will have a new one soon, one way or another!!

9. someonewhoknows profile image73
    someonewhoknowsposted 12 years ago

The big contributors would have to decide between more than two cadidates and that means less money per candidate or they would have to contribute more money to each one

10. Matt in Jax profile image60
    Matt in Jaxposted 12 years ago

It would be a good idea to have more "major" parties, but I doubt that any additional parties could be funded properly enough to attempt to compete and branch into national, state-wide, and city-wide elections.

11. Yankee Reb profile image60
    Yankee Rebposted 12 years ago

NO -we need 2 parties - just not the 2 that are in power now!

12. profile image0
    thegeckoposted 12 years ago

It's a difference between overt and covert (loosely used here) negotiations between political groups.

In the US (covert), many different political groups rally behind the Democrats or Republicans and work with those parties to get their agendas through. Much of these deals happen within the party itself.

In many Europeans countries (overt) where winners earn a percentage of the seats, those different groups usually must align themselves with one of the two larger parties to pass their agenda. It's just more obvious who the bigger players are because they hold a seat.

Would us switching matter much? Probably not. In both systems, two parties fight for power.

There's always a chance a third party will come along and trump one of the current ones. It's happen before and it could happen again.

What we really need are more responsible voters.

13. nifty@50 profile image69
    nifty@50posted 12 years ago

Yes, political parties are a lot like industry, when you introduce a third player, you get a lot more competition and it breaks up what is essentially a monopoly. A strong Libertarian party would make the other two parties take notice that excessive spending for wars (Republicans) or excessive spending for social programs (Democrats), would no longer be winning strategies.

14. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 12 years ago

Given that the 2 parties have done nothing but run the country into the toilet for the last 60 years while filling the pockets of there handlers, as well as their own, I would say that we definitely need something different.
    The party that offers real answers is, IMHO, the Libertarians.
    That is who I will be voting for.
    Consider that both parties have claimed they stood for fiscal responsibility and smaller government in every election for 60 years. Did ANY of them keep that promise? Not a single one!!
    Every administration has cooked the books to make themselves look good while lying to the American people.
    So how many times will you accept lies before you fire them?
    How many Trillion dollars in debt do we have to be before you accept that they spend money like a juvenile delinquent with a stolen credit card? And they are sending the bills to your children and their children and, yes, their children; that is how far we are in debt. $126,000 for every taxpayer in the country is the current debt, They want to raise the credit card limit and add another 2.4 TRILLION in debt.
    Obama is talking about lowering the debt by 4 trillion over 4 years, THAT IS NOTHING.
    It's like his commitment to bringing home 30,000 troops. That is less than he sent during the surge and there will be more there than when he took office on the pledge to get out.
    We have to get someone else into the position, or sink into the status of a 3rd world country.

15. Kaddam profile image59
    Kaddamposted 12 years ago

No, we can't even define much difference in the two we got.

16. moiragallaga profile image78
    moiragallagaposted 12 years ago

This is an outsider's observation, as I'm not a U.S. citizen but have lived there for 6 years. The 2 party system has seemed to work fairly well for some time, it provides stability and makes it easy to identify the policies and programs you wish to align yourself with. I'm from a country with multiple political parties and we get like 11 candidates running for President, it's a bit chaotic and becomes more personality driven as opposed to issues and political platforms. The 2 party system makes it easy to identify the party you wish to vote for, at least when things were much simpler then many years ago.

However, with the advent of globalization, rapid advances in technology and other changes/innovations I noticed that the issues and beliefs of U.S. citizens have become very diverse and nuanced. It appears that the 2 parties are now no longer able to provide a platform that would adequately cover the diverse electoral base of the American people. Many years ago, majority of people could easily identify themselves as Democrat or Republican. Nowadays, you got the libertarians, blue dogs, centrists, etc. You have liberals who love their guns.

For an observer, it has become interesting actually how U.S. politics has evolved. Having a third or fourth major political party might be a next step in your country's evolution of your political process. The current deadlock on the debt ceiling could be considered as a reason to start examining if the 2 major political parties are still relevant enough in terms of being able to properly serve the interests of the American people.

17. kd4rvb profile image60
    kd4rvbposted 12 years ago

It would be nice to have at least one more major party involved, it would sure solve the stalemate issues.  It takes more that two opinions to come up with a consensus. I don't even think either party we have now are truly representative of the feelings of our country as a whole. They sit on opposite poles striving for some middle ground that is beyond their reaches.

On the other hand, they continue to exist because the people tend to vote in terms like "the lesser of two evils" or "I want to vote for this person but if I do this person I really don't want will win so I'll vote for this one instead". Such mentalities, while there is some logic to them, lend to the problem. We rarely voter for ourselves so much as we vote in groups. Be they unions, or ecological factions or what ever, we tend to pick one side or the other and hope for the best.

This is the potential demise of America. The nature of our own interpretations of freedom and law driven by political greed and desire for power rather than what is best for our people has placed use at the end of our golden age. Yes, we need more parties in order to achieve competition based upon a desire to serve rather than dictate what Americans want.

18. jg555 profile image60
    jg555posted 12 years ago

Many countries have more. One negative effect of having more is that people may not understand the differences between all of them. Having two makes it simple. However, the other people are right that we have many minor parties.

19. Perspycacious profile image64
    Perspycaciousposted 9 years ago

The key portion of your question is "two major political parties."  I am aware that past elections have seen votes diluted by splinter factions such as those once called the "Dixiecrats" and "The Bull Moose Party," etc.  When we have only the "two major political parties" contesting elections, it is understandable that they limit their active attacks and promises to the few topics they hope will give them victory, and then sit glaring at each other when they get to Washington rather than working for the common good of all Americans.  I would like to see a third major party that can draw equally from the two traditional major parties, and give us more than just two perspectives on today's wide variety of our pressing national issues.
    I can imagine what power could come to a significant "Minorities Party" (for example) which could raise their own tough issues and demand that they be heard and considered on legislation and reforms that would benefit them most as voters.

20. watergeek profile image94
    watergeekposted 9 years ago

I think those who spoke out about voter responsibility have it right. Voters themselves have to be willing to take action on their political dissatisfactions before real change will occur. I belonged to the Independent Party for a long time, until I discovered the Green Party. That one I've belonged to for about eight years, but they're only just now starting to really reach out to people.

From my point of view, if we are to become a thriving part of the web of existence, we need to put the earth first. Without a healthy earth, we cannot be a healthy species. Our politics should reflect that. IMHO that would mean joining the Green Party (or one like it), but do they have the leadership? That's a key question.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)