Do you think social media is creating a dumb society?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. celebritie profile image68
    celebritieposted 13 years ago

Do you think social media is creating a dumb society?

regarding lack of readers

2. Sembj profile image67
    Sembjposted 13 years ago

From what I've observed, the social media reflect that what is best and also what is worst in cultures. If you think that society is becoming dumber, it is not the fault of social media.
    Social media was used to overthrow several corrupt authoritarian regimes and used in Egypt to educate and inform, for instance. In a culture determined to bring about greater justice, social media will be used in constructive ways. In cultures more interested in amusement, it will tend to be used in trivial ways.
    The type of education system that has evolved in the US will ensure an increasingly dumber society without needing the aid of social media.

3. mommyneal6 profile image71
    mommyneal6posted 13 years ago

I do! People are getting millions of dollars to be dumb.

4. profile image57
    TajSinghposted 13 years ago

I think social media is creating a dumb society.

5. mortgage-news profile image60
    mortgage-newsposted 13 years ago

Yes, It makes are circles too big and we think we are celebrities, needing to post everything we do. People can no longer take the moment in.  Now they hve to post about it.

6. Ben Graves profile image81
    Ben Gravesposted 13 years ago

I think social media is promoting ignorance and celebrity worship. Both are things that lessen society's progression yet at the same time are interesting to study. But from what I've seen, those who consistently follow the media and worship it are not the brightest. And they don't read because it's "too much work".

So really I think the media isn't truly at fault, it's the people who are ignorant and lazy enough to follow it blindly and spread this attitude out.

7. Ashantina profile image60
    Ashantinaposted 13 years ago

With personas now being created through laptops, "text talk" and tweets.... hell yea society is dumber than ever.

8. profile image0
    Aka Professor Mposted 13 years ago

If by dumber you are referring to the majority of users being less able to write and read in an intelligent manner then the answer is yes! If you are asking if the people who use social media sites are less educated, illiterate and just lazy! The answer is No!

People will do ,act and behave in a manner which allows them to be accepted by the in crowd. With the emphasis on speed and brevity on sites like Twitter, " text speak" is the accepted norm and its use is creating an abundance of problems with reverting back to formal communication writing practices.

The silent majority will always maintain its dominance as the yard stick for determining the real intelligence in our society!

9. profile image0
    Dandraposted 13 years ago

No, social media feeds on an already-dumb youth demographic.

10. AJ76 profile image61
    AJ76posted 13 years ago

I think it has made people feel so self important. As if life would stop if you couldn't be in contacted 24/7. I don't need to know that you woke up with a back ache, spilled your coffee and that you are on your way to work. When I see all the spelling and grammar errors I become very scared of the future for my children

11. RachaelLefler profile image91
    RachaelLeflerposted 13 years ago

No! I think being able to communicate so much so rapidly allows people to learn a lot of things really quickly and be a lot more informed than ever before. And as for text talk, the language is evolving for speed and efficiency and getting rid of ridiculous pretenses and cumbersome grammatical rules that slow down the communication. Streamlining the language is not the same as dumbing it down. I also think it's getting people interested in reading and writing that never otherwise would, and think of the number of snail mail letters and diary pages you wrote before the internet and how many blogs and emails and such you wrote after you had it, I bet you anything you've written thousands more words online. It also gives people instant access to reading articles and blogs about the issues that matter to them, helping them stay informed. Also, because the internet is in a state of constantly criticizing and trying to improve itself, every online community seems to evolve and address issues faster than a real live community ever could. And online I feel like I can express myself with 100% freedom and that's a beautiful feeling and great for every creative mind out there.

12. jaywigz311 profile image60
    jaywigz311posted 12 years ago

I would say yes. In fact, the internet in general is serving to dumb down society quite a bit. Recent studies have shown that our new ability to simply "Google" something can actually affect our ability to memorize things.

Reference - http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/15/health/15memory.html

13. iamnicolerichards profile image58
    iamnicolerichardsposted 11 years ago

Nope, there are a lot of useful things to do on social media sites. Some social media agency use it to reach out to more clients so i think the usage of social media depends on the user.

http://easysocialpractice.com

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)