Which breed(s) of dogs are easiest to train? Which are more difficult or problem

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Ken R. Abellposted 12 years ago

Which breed(s) of dogs are easiest to train? Which are more difficult or problematic?

2. terrecar profile image60
    terrecarposted 12 years ago

I'll take a stab at this, with a caveat. I have found dog people to be some of the most opinionated people I've ever met, and answering this question could raise some hackles (pun intended), particularly among those who have favorite breeds. 

Having said that, the short answer is that my German Shepherds and my Austrailian Shepherd/Border Collie mix have been the easiest to train for me, followed by a Whippet that did an impeccable recall and heel. Trailing behind would be my Dachshunds and a Chihuahua that I fostered.

I am a firm believer that any dog can be trained using positive reinforcement, but that different dogs are motivated by different things. Some dogs are more "treat" motivated, while some are more "play" motivated.  Hence, for some of my dogs I've used treats as a lure and reinforcement, and for others I've used a tennis ball.

Even while factoring in trainability, my mini Dachshund, Rusty, was my "heart dog"; the one that left the deepest, most lasting impression. I had Rusty for 15 1/2 years and I still miss him terribly.

On a lighter note, it used to crack me up when Rusty did a down/stay. His short little legs made it tricky to determine if he had indeed, followed through. The visible difference between a "stand" and "down" was barely perceptible to me, particularly since I'm nearsighted.

Some Dachshunds can have an independent streak, but they are trainable. The most important thing that I have found with Dachshunds is that mutual respect goes a long way toward building a successful dog/handler team.

3. Loveslove profile image60
    Lovesloveposted 12 years ago

Any breed is trainable with the correct method,I have not had experience of many breeds personally...I have owned two labs which were trained to perfection with no bother at all,very responsive and easy to train,now I have a Jack Russell which was very naughty when we aquired her as soon as the door opened she ran away ( she was a stray) but my brother is a dog trainer and he told me that if a dog is happy where it lives it wont run away from you or home...true..when the dog had been with us a few weeks she became more settled and happy,now she is faithful and stays at my side no matter what temps her ,except if I tell her to  'GO ' to chase a ball or similar !!

I think with patience and understanding any breed can be trained .

4. KevinTimothy profile image76
    KevinTimothyposted 12 years ago

I have had tough experiences with a Miniature Pinscher years ago.  They're very prudent and can be a bit stubborn.  This is a tough quesition though, as dogs respond differently to different personaliites.

5. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

I've found that Siberian huskies are not as bright as other dogs. I've never had one myself but I have many friends that have and they've all told me the same thing. I think it's all in the way you train your dog, but having had dogs all my life, I can honestly say that the best and easiest breed to train has been my American Eskimo. She is like a little person, very well behaved and house-trained. They make excellent companions. They love children and they are very in tune with the emotions of the people they live with.

6. @neesh profile image60
    @neeshposted 12 years ago

I think south African mastiff is the best dog.This dog gets very friendly to children's as well and is very supportive and i think is easy to train.Its hard to tell about the the dog which is difficult to train.All pets are nice.

7. tngolfplayer profile image73
    tngolfplayerposted 12 years ago

As far as most problematic, I can attest to Pekingese.  They are stubborn, strong willed, and will only follow training if they choose too.  It is a battle of wills with them.  It takes a lot of repetition of the same thing over and over and over to get them to learn the smallest task. 
    They aren't stupid, and can do amazing things, but getting them to do them is a hair pulling trick.

8. LittlePayday profile image60
    LittlePaydayposted 12 years ago

I have heard that cattle/herding (I guess you would call them) dogs are easy to train.
    Australian Cattle Dogs
    Australian Shepherds
    Healers
    Border Collies
    breeds like that...
    A friend of mine's mom raises and trains dogs and those are the type they usually have. This friend also had a French Bulldog that was very well trained. So I think dog training also depends on the person doing the training.
    But the breeds I mentioned are smart - not to mention soo cute smile

9. profile image52
    kayla howardposted 12 years ago

this is what i think,bloodhod is eazy and i think german are harder

10. Pamela Sarzana profile image59
    Pamela Sarzanaposted 12 years ago

Some breed's of dogs are more easily trained than others. I have had Malamutes, and Husky's, these dogs were bred to pull heavy loads long distances, over snow and ice. Not to fetch a ball, although they are intelligent enough to do that also. Generally these dogs don't do well in small apartments they are bred to run. They are very loyal, make great family pets and show dogs.

Labrador Retrievers are very easy to train, Or I should say they train themselves. Anticipating your every move in order to please you seems to be their ultimate goal. As a loyal and loving companion. These dogs were bred to retrieve fishing nets and people from water. The Labrador Retriever wants to be with his owner or family and nothing more. Gets along with all other family pets, (and small children) . Our Black Labrador retriever Buddy ,got along exceedingly well with our cat, and a Large Umbrella Cockatoo who roamed the house at will.

I also was a breeder of Miniature Schnauzers at one time, very high energy dogs, and require patience during training. Also intelligent dogs.

If there is a problem with intelligence in a particular breed of dog it is generally suspect to bad or improper breeding practices.

There are dogs who are victims of bad environment and react according to their situations, wherein the problem may lie with the owner, and not the dog.

11. Bukarella profile image81
    Bukarellaposted 12 years ago

There was a study done that measured the ability of various breeds to learn a command within a counted number of repetitions. Here is a link to the study:
    http://www.stanleycoren.com/e_intelligence.htm

(it numbers the breeds in according to how quickly they are able to learn a command).

Border Collies, poodles, German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, Dobermans, Shetland Sheepdogs, Labradors, Papillions, Rottweilers, and Australian Cattle Dogs are in the top ten.

I guess you have to have a certain level of confidence to work with rottweilers, dobermans and german shephers, but I personally never had a problem with training my rottie. She's always been one of the "top students" in classes we've taken. smile

12. JT Walters profile image72
    JT Waltersposted 12 years ago

Sieberrian Huskies are the easiest I have ever trained but one of them were half wolf.  They were really bright animals.

13. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 12 years ago

I've always heard that most terrier breeds are very intelligent. In my own experience, labs are gentle, smart, and trainable. Contrarily, my pit bull mix is utterly defiant. He is smart enough to know what I'm asking and basically says "F you dad."

14. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 12 years ago

That depends on what you call difficult. Different breeds offer different challenges. For example, hound dogs may be "difficult" if they are adult dogs before they receive any training because they have learned to follow their nose and have not learned to pay attention to their owner. I have found that the most difficult dog to train is not a breed at all, but rather the dog that has been trained with punishment or correction, or come from a puppy mill where they did not have proper socialization and consequently poor brain development.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)