What do I need to do to see fat loss?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. ii3rittles profile image82
    ii3rittlesposted 12 years ago

What do I need to do to see fat loss?

I'm 23, 5'3, Medium build, Pear shaped (34-30-46) and I have no clue what to do to lose some of this fat! I want to be Bust- 34, Waist- 26, & Hips -36. My measurements 2 years ago were 34-27.5-37.5 so I was only 3 inches away! I lost my job, went thru medical issues (chronic pain/anxiety), and I was not active at all for months and months. How much should I eat, what exercise should I do? I tried a stationary bike and walking with no luck. HELP! I want to meet my goal measurements by November (I'm getting married!). If I had to pick a weight, 115-120lbs. I'm 160 right now.

2. Ms Chievous profile image65
    Ms Chievousposted 12 years ago

I have had some success with Atkins.  It is a big commitment to give up some of those foods you love, but it is worth it.  And how much walking do you do?  If you walk at least four  times a week for at least a half an hour you should see some results.  You could always jog a little during your walk too!

3. Jaynie2000 profile image83
    Jaynie2000posted 12 years ago

First, you need to burn more calories than you consume. An active woman can consume roughly 2000 calories per day, but you need to assure that you are exercising enough to burn those calories. Exercising early in the day and before eating helps boost your metabolism and will facilitate burning fat and subsequent weight loss.

Also, do not rely on aerobic exercise alone. That will help your heart stay healthy, which is good, but if you want to burn fat, you must also engage in a healthy regimen of resistance training/ weight lifting. Cardio workouts alone won't do it.

You must also be realistic about your weight loss. Losing 1-2 pounds per week can be healthy but losing 5+ pounds per week is not. It is also not sustainable. Weight loss occurs for a variety of reasons including fluctuations in the amount of water that is being retained in your tissues. If you are getting married in approximately 22 weeks, losing 2 lbs per week would mean you would lose 44 lbs. before your wedding. You have to realize though, that most people do not lose 2 lbs every week. That is because you will naturally plateau when your body becomes accustomed to your new routine. If you think about it, it isn't realistic to think that your body will continue to lose weight unless you resort to ever more drastic measures.

Other things to remember are that muscle weighs more than fat, genetics play a factor in what type of body and fitness level you may be able to achieve and you have to allow yourself to "cheat" on your normally healthy diet once in awhile.

Finally, you have to stop looking at your routine as a diet and execise program and look at it as a lifestyle. If you can't adopt your healthy routine and maintain it for the rest of your life, in the end, it will be doomed to failure and the weight will come back...plus some.

Check out this hub if you are interested in more tips for losing weight the healthy way...

http://hubpages.com/hub/Diet-and-Metabo … lthier-You

4. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 12 years ago

First, congratulations on your engagement! About your qeustion, the method I used might help.  I used it to drop fat around my hips and butt that I just couldn't seem to get rid of after my 2nd baby was born.  The method was extremely simple: 3 meals a day (no more and no less), and no snacking at all.

I didn't deny myself foods such as cookies or chips, but they had to be tacked right onto the end of a meal so that they didn't become a separate snack.  I could really feel my metabolism kicking into gear between meals.  The first week seemed hard but I just asked myself the rhetorical question "which is more important to me, this snack I want or losing weight?"   After the first week, I got used to not snacking.  If I felt the craving for a snack I made hot tea or coffee instead to get the 'feeling' of doing something indulgent for myself.  For dinner meals, I made and ate ordinary home-cooked meals that the average person would eat e.g. meat and potatoes and veges, or lasagna, or curry, etc; I didn't deny myself any specific types of foods at mealtimes.  The size seemed to almost melt off me, and after a month I was down a pants size from a size 6 down to a 4 (US sizes here).  Since that was my goal, I stopped there and went back to snacking and was able to maintain the weight/size just fine.  I will say that I didn't drop a whole lot of *weight* as measured by the scale but the *size* difference in terms of fitting my pants was very noticeable.  I think it was because whatever weight came off, all came off the hips & butt. I feel I could have lost size faster if I'd eaten healthier meals or not added the occasional junk food in with my meals.  But this way worked for me.  However, in terms of medical safety, you might need to check with your doctor if this is compatible with any other health issues you might have. I had no health issues, but some people need to have snacks throughout the day because of some other medical problem.

5. Thesource profile image67
    Thesourceposted 12 years ago

I would suggest buying the Atkins book and reading it.
    I tried this and during the first 3 weeks I lost an average of 1/3 pound/ day.  It will also clean out your triglycerides and lower your blood sugar levels. Man has evolved for millions of years.  Long before agriculture which is only about 6,000 years ago, our main diet was meat and leafy vegetables. This is basically the Atkins diet.

In this diet, your body switches from using sugar as a fuel to fat as a fuel. The fat deposits in your body get used up. This is a natural process. In this process you are in ketosis. In this state you muscles and brain use ketones as fuel. You mind is sharper and clearer. Your muscles have better coordination.
    Recent studies shown it is healthier for you heart than conventional weight loss programs. You need not starve with this diet. Your body get satisfied naturally and there is no compulsion to eat more than what you need. I was diabetic a few months ago and now with Atkins I am cured and has no need for any medication. I have lost a great deal of excess fat.  I now have to have a new set of clothes as my waist has changed drastically.

When you get close to your target you can increase the intake of carbohydrates which will level off your weight loss. You might still want to stay away from refined sugars, and starchy foods for life.

These modern processed food, sugars, wheat, sodas, are the main culprit for modern diseases and obesity.

Congratulations on your engagement!

6. crankalicious profile image87
    crankaliciousposted 12 years ago

You gained the weight you gained over time because you changed your habits. In order to get back to where you were, you must change your habits back. I have a four-part hub on weight-loss that's easy to follow, but it takes time. You want to lose weight in such a way that you maintain a postiive spirit and don't ultimately boomerang back. Anyway, weight-loss required permanent change in food consumption and exercise. That's the best way to stay healthy and fit.

http://hubpages.com/hub/10-Ways-to-Lose-Weight-Part-1

7. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 12 years ago

Write your ideal weight on several index cards. Place them around your home. Visualize yourself at that weight. Eat smaller portions. The only problem is, you must know when to stop. You don't want to become too thin.

8. FitnessTom profile image60
    FitnessTomposted 12 years ago

I want you to know, that despite all the answers provided thus far (some being good, some not so much) it comes down to one thing: calories in calories out.

If you want to lose weight you need to understand how to calculate your metabolic rate. Exercise is a factor that can be used to increase your metabolic rate, however, eating less than you burn is the best way.

Now, you can go a step further and control your body composition by controlling your macronutients (fats, proteins, carbs).

Going on a low carb diet seems like a great idea because it leads to weight loss, but it only does so because of calorie restriction. People don't realize that when they cut carbs they actually end up going into a calorie deficit.

9. delicate doll profile image60
    delicate dollposted 12 years ago

You are being too hard on your self!  Obsessing will only drive you nuts! Ease up a little on your goals and things should start to get better for you. Talk to your doctor for advice as well (considering what you said above) and explore all the possibilities available. Continue to watch your diet, since that is the first thing looked at when it comes to weight loss!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)