Why Do Most Hubbers Not use There Original Pictures as their Profile Pictures

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. rhoteh profile image61
    rhotehposted 12 years ago

Why Do Most Hubbers Not use There Original Pictures as their Profile Pictures

2. iamsergell profile image61
    iamsergellposted 12 years ago

well, i use my original picture here. haha. i guess, they dont want to be seen. they're afraid that someone might stalk to them, and then kill them. lol. big_smile

3. Walt Smith profile image60
    Walt Smithposted 12 years ago

Personally , I dont have any that I can upload from my pc and have no web cam. Some people may be ashamed of their appearance, which is no excuse because we are all beautful and those who judge only by outward appearance are missing out on a lot of truly wonderful things in this world...W

4. profile image0
    rorshak sobchakposted 12 years ago

Good question. I am not sure maybe they just want to protect their identity.

rorshak sobchak

5. puddingicecream profile image68
    puddingicecreamposted 12 years ago

Original pictures meaning actual photos of themselves?

Possible reasons:
    -Identity purposes (especially for those writing about others, and don't want them to come across the hub)
    -Uncomfortable with having their photo online
    -Uncomfortable taking photos of themselves
    -No access to camera

6. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

Maybe because they write on different sites and don't want to be recognized, maybe because the internet is a dangerous place and anyone can use your photo, maybe because they just want to be anonymous...  there are so many reasons.. what is yours?

Me?  I'm comfortable with the way I look (at least in pictures lol) and I'm proud of what I write.  I'm so proud to be writing articles and so thrilled that people are enjoying reading them.  So cool!  Who would've thought that I could earn money writing?   Seven months ago, it never occurred to me.  I still can't believe it.  And if someone who knows me or who have known me, happens to read one of my articles and see my picture, they might even say "Hey, I know Rosie.  I never thought the air-head could write!"  lol

7. K9keystrokes profile image84
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

For me, I write on a broad range of topics, some not as popular as others, so for safety and peace of mind I use the icon I have designed from an image I took of a tiger some years ago. This shows I have design skills as well as writing. It can help the marketing aspect of online writing, depending on your subject. This is strictly my opinion, some seasoned writers would disagree I am sure.

Also, I come from a background of K-9 law enforcement and have been a close-quarters hand-to-hand combat instructor, thus I don't necessarily want to be known in some circles. I also find that an interesting visual profile image can stimulate a reader to "check-it-out." For some, the credibility of having an actual "real" picture of themselves can offer heightened trust for their readers, again depending on their subject matter.

I guess what I am saying is this; each author has to carefully weigh his/her own reasons as to why or why not to publish their work using an avatar or their own beautiful mug!
    Great question, 
    K9

8. amurbach profile image59
    amurbachposted 12 years ago

I use my original picture but I can also see why others may not.  I have a friend who is beautiful but is very introverted and therefore does not like to put herself out like that.  Great question as I didn't realize there were so many reasons for not putting original profile pics up.

9. 2005Fleet profile image60
    2005Fleetposted 12 years ago

Personally as a  wife of a police officer, "you shouldn't use your real picture" for security & protection reasons.

10. ravenblueu profile image61
    ravenblueuposted 12 years ago

To be be kind of mysterious, anonymous and secure. Some people are not comfortable with revealing so much of them. It's like being protective of themselves, maybe due to sensitivity of topics they pick for writing or they are not just comfortable having their faces posted side by side with what they write.

I always lack confidence in writing and I'm too shy posting my pics before in a blog thinking that someone I knew might accidentally come across it and judge what I write and I'm not good enough and all. But since hubpages isn't really popular with my friends yet, I have my real pic posted here lol.D

11. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

In order to express yourself more openly, it's better to remain anonymous. Many writers use a different name and do not post a picture of themselves so they can't be recognized. There are many employers that research the online activity of their employees. A good example is teachers - they are required to be an example of good conduct and high morals. This means that a teacher who reveals his identity could get fired for making an inappropriate comment online, or posting a picture of him drinking alcohol at a party, etc.

12. rhoteh profile image61
    rhotehposted 12 years ago

Thanks for your responses, But Have Not realy gotten the reason why this is so Rampant on HubPages,90% of Hubbers Don't use their profile Pictures.
    @ k9, i think you have a lot to hide maybe your is justified.
    @2005fleet,personal protection & money making i think.
    @rorshak sobchak , i agree with you totally
    @puddingicecream ,no camera is not an option at all
    @amurbach ,thank u.
    @Walt Smith ,where do you get the stars from?
    @ravenblueu,you realy have to believe in your self girl.
    @klarawieck,Great Point, thanks for the thoughtful Answer
    @iamsergell ,Killing, thats really weird just like your profile pics.

But Personally, The Reason why Am not using mine is that Am Totally in Love with my profile pics, its symbolizes That we are all in the hands of GOD.just Changed it to this some few weeks beck.

13. profile image0
    V Qisyaposted 12 years ago

Well, I believe they must have their own reasons.

My profile pic? That is totally ME!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)