Any suggestions on how to gain an appreciation for poetry?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. mskills profile image81
    mskillsposted 12 years ago

Any suggestions on how to gain an appreciation for poetry?

I just don't "get" poetry.  I fail to comprehend the advantages of the format, except for when it has been written expressly for vocalizing through speech or song.

2. Gingerrevolution profile image58
    Gingerrevolutionposted 12 years ago

Yes, you have to start by finding a singular poet who you appreciate.
    As a former English Lit student I was more a fan of fiction and novels than poetry, then we started studying Edwin Morgan, the War poets and some other nitty gritty stuff, which I much prefer.
    Lois MacNiece did a brilliant one called 'Bagpipe Music' that whenever I read it makes me here the pipes behind it. Also, 'High Windows' (I forget who it was by but I think Edwin Morgan) is another of my favorites just because it's not haughty poetry about flowers and summers days.
    I think it's just a case of finding one poet or one group of poets that you enjoy. Remember as well that more often than not song lyrics are just poems with music to them, so if you are a big fan of music there could be a starting point there for you.

3. Sarah Shepherd profile image60
    Sarah Shepherdposted 12 years ago

Some poems then, in accordance with what you've stated about songs, would and should be deeply appreciated by you.  Some poems flow effortlessly... rhyming and flowing without YOU the reader, having to put too much thought into it.  But even I, an avid writer of Poetry, must admit that there are some who write "poetry" and I do not quite understand.  I guess I'm a lot like you, then.  I only enjoy certain types of poetry and do not understand the rest...  If you are interested in trying out your first step to appreciation (at least of some - which is better than none!) you could always check out one of my poems.. I like Dead Like Me and Make Me Your Last Sacrifice.  Tell me what you honestly like and dislike about them and I would love to continue the question... But if you're not up for it, I say: you already DO have an appreciation for poetry if u enjoy it in songs.  Hope this wasn't too long!  Take Care!!

Sarah

4. The black mist profile image59
    The black mistposted 12 years ago

well i first got into writing when i was about 12.
    i would read all type's of poetry. i never had a specific writer i was interested in. i have been basically writing about the same gen. since then and it works for me.
    the only writers i know by name are mya angelo and edger alen poe... i know then by name, not by lit.

5. Joseph Lane profile image60
    Joseph Laneposted 12 years ago

Easy, start reading Charles Bukowski and Walt Whitman. If those two don't blow your mind, then well, maybe poetry isn't meant for you.

6. Midianite profile image59
    Midianiteposted 12 years ago

Not to promote my stuff or anything, but check out some of my poems.

To properly answer your question, the 'topic' of the poetry you read probably influences what you think about it.

7. SpanStar profile image59
    SpanStarposted 12 years ago

Poetry may not be for everyone.

If one looks at poetry in the same clinical sense as one would look at statistical data you will not get much out of poetry.

I find poetry a journey in which the reader willfully want to take that journey along with the poet.

Good poetry can cover a vast distance in a short amount of time.

8. ii3rittles profile image79
    ii3rittlesposted 12 years ago

There is so many styles and types of poetry out there. You said you like poetry in the form of song, so try finding poetry that has a rhyming scheme. I have written poetry since I was 12 or so, and when I first started, I had trouble finding poetry I liked. I'd usually just read my own! Don't give up though, you will find some! smile

9. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 12 years ago

No one has to like poetry.

To me the "vocalization" of a poem is an important part of poetry, so if you enjoy works that are meant to be vocalized in song or speech, than I would say that you DO like poetry.

There is a lot of variety in poetry. There are plenty of classics that I really don't care for, and at the same time, there is a lot of poetry that I think is world-changing.

Personally I prefer modern poetry vs classics, short vs long and unrigid vs rigid. Some of my favorites are Charles Bukowski, James Dickey, and Silvia Curbelo.

For me poetry is simply about maximizing the power of words - condensing them down in to a form that can feel like a punch in the gut. Like a good song lyric that seems to have been written specifically for you.

Take this single line from Silvia Curbelo's "Between Language and Desire"

"There is no honest metaphor for bread."

It helps knowing the rest of the poem, but even by itself, to me anyway, it has a tremendous amount of meaning.

10. Meg Ingram profile image59
    Meg Ingramposted 12 years ago

its really basic , you can create your own style that fits you , it could be threw lyric, or even art in a way the doors are endless  i my self tend to either linger in song or regular poetry writting .. in the end i want u to think of it this way ok: poetry isnt standard its freedom its outside the box create an exspress,

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)