How can victims of domestic violence better protect themselves from the real dan

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. K9keystrokes profile image84
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

How can victims of domestic violence better protect themselves from the real danger in their life?

2. Naomi's Banner profile image73
    Naomi's Bannerposted 12 years ago

First off you have to tell...someone what is going on.  You have to let someone know you are a victim.  There are agencies out there to protect victims that go so far as to hide you and protect you while helping you to get control of your life.  don't despair and get in a church where you can meet people that care and will pray with you.

3. sanura2011 profile image55
    sanura2011posted 12 years ago

Get a dad like mine who will not only protect you but teach you how to protect yourself. Such as how to shoot a gun, use a knife, and some self defense moves that will undoubtedly stun your attacker long enough for you to run like the wind.

Also tell someone you trust will help you! Family is normally a good idea but if you cant tell them tell friend or a classmate/coworker.

Also If (and you should) report the abuse, take photo's of the injuries. If you get threatening text messages or e-mails ... print them out. DO NOT EDIT THEM! Just hit print page! If its a text save them and show them to the person (officer) you are reporting it to.

4. jjackson786 profile image80
    jjackson786posted 12 years ago

I agree with Naomi. It's so important that you tell someone what is happening to you. There are several amazing programs available that provide both emotional support as well as a safe haven to those women are victims of domestic violence. And most importantly (in my opinion), know that there is a life to be had after you leave your situation. I too am a domestic abuse survivor and my life truly began after I started to love myself enough to leave smile

5. dashingscorpio profile image78
    dashingscorpioposted 12 years ago

The first step is to learn to love yourself.
    Unless you get to this point you will never feel or believe you deserve to have a better life.
    "When we change our circumstances change."

Sometimes this means allowing yourself to get pissed off! Once you get to this point you will be Driven to find solutions to your problems. You do the google searches to find services in your area, check with your clergy if attend church,and local police stations to find free or low cost therapy to work on yourself.

However the first step is to physically get out of the situation even if that means finding a shelter. Next you want to find someone who was in your position and turned their life around. Each of us needs a mentor or inspiration from time to time.

Best of luck!

6. profile image0
    JoEllenvposted 12 years ago

I feel that if I had listened to my heart instead of my husband, I would've made better choices.  I was trying to divorce my husband over a drug habit that changed him.  Even if I had a PO order, he still would've come to my job and shot me.  I don't know what could've been done differently to be honest. 
    Joellenv

7. Lizzabella profile image59
    Lizzabellaposted 12 years ago

I agree with everyone that it is important to tell someone that it is happening to you. However, one of the issues with telling someone is that it can be difficult to tell someone. Also, when victims of domestic violence or abuse do tell someone, it is common for others to make up excuses or not believe the victim. Then when a victim of domestic abuse does tell, it is also common to hear people say, "why don't you just leave?" 
    The fact is that leaving is often the most dangerous time for the victim of the abuse. This is when the most violence occurs. It is important for the victim to have a safety plan before "just leaving". The perpetrator often uses powerful manipulation tactics to scare the victim from leaving or in believing there is no where to go. Perpetrators function off of power and control, which outsiders typically don't see.

So, to answer you question, yes there are things that victims can do to protect themselves. The first being community resources. There are a lot of organizations that have crisis lines and other free services to help victims. If you need a place to stay, try google searching for domestic violence shelters or centers. Contacting your local police department can help also. Contact a friend or family member that you truly trust to hold on to your important documents and money that you may need in an emergency. If you are no longer living with the abuser, make sure you tell neighbors of any possible danger, what to look out for, and if they hear strange noises from your home to call the authorities. Install an alarm system, you can even purchase door and window alarms from your local home goods store if you cannot afford a monitored alarm system.

Some important things to keep in mind:

If you hear a neighbor in distress, don't hesitate to call.
    *Also, If you hear of or witness an animal being abused report it immediately. The link between animal abuse/violence and domestic violence (or violent crimes in general) are huge. Chances are if the individual is abusing animals, they are likely to be committing other crimes as well.

Domestic violence and abuse knows no boundaries as far as family/individual income, education, socioeconomic status, gender, sexuality, race, etc. It is a myth that domestic abuse only occurs in low income households. It can happen to anyone. If you have more questions, feel free to ask me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)