How to lead a frugal life? Help me with some tips on frugal living?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)
  1. alwaysuno profile image58
    alwaysunoposted 12 years ago

How to lead a frugal life?  Help me with some tips on frugal living?

In these times of recession heavy taking toll of global jobs, it is imperative that our attention turns towards frugal living.  Hence, I wish to know the above details.

2. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 12 years ago

approach it from an abundant mindset - if you look at frugal living as a hardship or sacrifice you won't make it.  The most important principle is to want what you have and to find ways to organize so you know what you have, and eliminate waste.  Start small - turn off the lights, unplug what you aren't using, weather proof your home, drive less - do all your errands at once one time per week.  Shop smart by buying fresh foods and preparing them yourself - freeze for later use and don't use frozen tv dinners etc.  Eliminate processed foods and eating out - replace your favorite restaurant meals with homemade versions.  There are a lot of little things that add up - but mostly it's all in the attitude.  Make it a challenge to live better on less and you'll not only save money you'll be happier as a result.

3. seicheprey profile image60
    seichepreyposted 12 years ago

I think the biggest thing for me, especially recently, is staying out of bookstores.  I love books and can easily spend hundreds of dollars in a single trip on books that I may only use as a reference once, or simply want to know is on my shelf.  So, staying out of stores that tempt you to purchase things that you want rather than need is a good step.

4. profile image57
    Paperflyposted 12 years ago

When me and my wiife lost our jobs we had to make immediate changes. The first of which was talking to our kids and telling them that a lot of things they liked or used to enjoy would have to temporarily be stopped. No more ordering pizzas or online movies/games and such, we had to cut our cable, cell phones and any entertainment expenses (except for internet which pretty much has everything to entertain us). The major stressing point was not wasting food. Our kids used to waste so much food I would cringe. We now shop only at thrift stores, buy generic and use our farmer's market where we look for good deals on fresh food/dairy stuff. Those few changes alone have saved us almost $1,000 a month. We also found a store (Aldi's) that has cheaper prices than most of the stores in my area. I shop there weekly for the bulk of my items, then check all the adds in papers every week for deals/sales and clearance items. When we can we will also by in bulk from places like Sam's or BJ's. It may cost a lot up front but lasts us quite awhile. Plus everything ChristinS just mentioned. We also cut our watere usage using rain barrels to water our garden/plants. We time our showers, run the dishwasher only once a day. Wash our clothes once a week instead of batches here are there every day. It may be little things, but they all add up and help.

5. profile image58
    frugaldayposted 12 years ago

Use coupons, sales with those coupons and then rebates.

I visit frugal forums, one such one is refundsweepers.com where you can get coupons and rebates and even printable ones inside the site.

Sometimes members will post their yearly savings with those items, it can be in the thousands.

6. Availiasvision profile image81
    Availiasvisionposted 11 years ago

I've started taking a minimalist appraoch to life and finance.  The goal is that when you find what truely satifies you, then cut out all the rest.  Everything else is just a distraction to what truely matters.  It takes away the perceived identity that we find in our extra baggage.  I can now pass by things in the store wihtout a doubt in my mind that I "need" them.

I like what ChristinS posted about making your own food.  Not eating out can save you hundreds as well as potentially making you healthier with fewer medical bils.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)