Should people write when they are depressed? Or, should sadness be described in

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. anusha15 profile image84
    anusha15posted 12 years ago

Should people write when they are depressed? Or, should sadness be described in the retrospect?

When a person is depressed, s/he is sometimes biased towards negativity. Do you think writing in such state of mind can spread negativity/sadness/depression in readers? And even for the author himself/herself when s/he reads own writing at a later stage? What would you choose from the trade off? Channelizing sadness through expression in writing or not letting the negativity spread - waiting till you've achieved better poised state and then write  in the retrospect?

2. ytsenoh profile image60
    ytsenohposted 12 years ago

I think writing from either state of mind carries value.  If a person writes when in a state of depression, it can be cathartic.  Likewise, if that same person is feeling sad.  I think it's productive to write as a method of expression in either state as a way of release and since I view it as productive, I don't necessarily feel it's negatively perceived.  I think perception and the effects of same vary between individuals.  If the reader is empathetic, any sad language is going to be "felt."  I think if the person who is performing the writing revisits what was written, oftentimes, that person can either think, "Wow, I wrote that?" or can see how much self-growth took place since the time that person was sad, etc.  I say write all the time.

3. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

Just write.  Look at it this way:  Do you only wait to write on sunny days?  Write when you can--no matter what.  It's the EDITING that counts.

4. anupma profile image68
    anupmaposted 12 years ago

Most world famous poets are depressed from any ways. I mean read so many poets whether he is Eliot, Yeats, Keats, Shelley, Tennyson or any other great poet... They suffered from some problems and these problem inspired them to write. Actually writing is a therapy. So it really helps a lot to express sad views.

5. profile image0
    femmeflashpointposted 12 years ago

I agree with ytsenoh, writing carries value whether the writer is depressed or not.  However, I tend to believe that negativity begets negativity and vice versa.  If I were a poet, I might write while depressed, but, I'd likely regret it later.  I would be worrying that I may have spread the depression elsewhere, which is something I would never want to do, bring another down with me.

Thankfully, my depressive states are short lived.  I think that is mostly because I decide it has to go away.

6. profile image0
    Majadezposted 12 years ago

I've written many poems whilst feeling a bit depressed. I agree that it's cathartic and not only you, but your readers see the progress too. I don't think you can actually spread negativity. It's not about being negative, but rather just expressing the feelings you have, whatever they may be. Others will recognize those feelings and you'll have a mutual understanding of them.  It shows in the writing if someone is just lashing out negative thoughts or sincerely voicing their emotions and opinions.  The first will often be met with disapproval (& yes, it might fuel negativity too) but the later is what I try to do.

If you write about feelings in retrospect, it's not quite the same and as genuine as within the moment because you have to think back. Hence the writing won't be as passionate.

7. Attikos profile image82
    Attikosposted 12 years ago

A writer should write in all his moods. The manuscript produced when he is depressed may not be his final edition, but it will be an invaluable resource for authenticity in later work.

8. vansh121 profile image59
    vansh121posted 12 years ago

Yes, great works always come when people are depressed. I think when we are happy, we are content. So a few of us start writing their happy experience, while when we are sad we want to be alone and then only our real thoughts come in the forms of words.

9. trecords0 profile image60
    trecords0posted 12 years ago

I write whenever I feel like writing, and that may be during depressing times.  Sometimes I write when I'm depressed to find out why I'm depressed; my muse is my best sounding board.  I also write about anything and everything (editing is done later, and that includes the choice of whether to publish or not).

10. cre8ivOne profile image68
    cre8ivOneposted 12 years ago

I don't think you should ever stifle your emotions when writing, of course you need ot channel your emotions into creative writing and not lets say a work report.  I very often drawn on sullen feelings when writing some of, what I consider my best poetry.

11. stacyjwx profile image59
    stacyjwxposted 12 years ago

Whether happy or sad, writing is about having an opinion. Anything that is well-written shows an opinion, takes a stance on a subject, and is biased in some way. Any expression in writing is better than waiting for a happier outlook on life. Some of the best works come about by feeling sadness, pain, or negativity.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)