Why do people take forever to take off when the light turns green while driving?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (19 posts)
  1. cloudrider profile image61
    cloudriderposted 12 years ago

Why do people take forever to take off when the light turns green while driving?

Its a pet peeve and annoying... Slow reaction? Or, are they waiting for the red light runner?

2. oceansnsunsets profile image85
    oceansnsunsetsposted 12 years ago

They are on phones, or texting, or lazy, and for sure selfish lol.  They may not have anywhere to go, but other people do.  I always wonder at the self centered nature of people.

1. Laura Schneider profile image85
      Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You've been to Italy and possibly Greece. Great profile photo!

3. jcm_blabs profile image77
    jcm_blabsposted 12 years ago

I'll answer this question with a counter-question:  What is the hurry in taking off right away when it does turn green?  Yeah, I'm not texting or being lazy while sitting there waiting for my right-of-way, but why are people so impatient?  Are the streets NASCAR race tracks?

4. Mr. Happy profile image70
    Mr. Happyposted 12 years ago

lol This question is going to reveal who likes to drive slow and who likes to drive fast.
    I am a person who likes to drive fast. As such a person I can answer all of Jcm_blabs' questions as well.
    There is almost always a hurry if you start thinking about it: there are many things to get done, the day is not that long ... life is actually quite short itself ... the world is a big place with lots of places to see ... etc.
    I am not sure why I am so impatient. I tried to touch-on this subject on my blog titled "On Mothers and Patience" ... ultimately, I really don't know. I have very, very little patience and I try to save it for times I really need it.
    I know the streets are not NASCAR race tracks but when you squint your eyes just a little and have the right kind of music on, on a sunny day ... it's almost like NASCAR and one can easily get drifted into a day-dream.
      I enjoyed the answers ... shows how different each one of our personalities really is. I suppose the key is to try to work with each other as suppose to against each other: give the turtle some time and the cheetah some space, if possible and it is not too much to ask. We are all equal in essence.

5. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

my guess is that the driver is making sure that there is no other car coming that simply *must* race across between yellow and red lights and you want to avoid an accident. Because the same people who want to take off immediately are likely the same people who want to race to beat the light too.

6. proudmamma profile image80
    proudmammaposted 12 years ago

Someday your pet peeve could prove deadly. My husband has always accused me of having a lead foot. Therefore, I will put to bed the perception of me being considered a slow driver. However, when the light turns green I hesitate before entering the intersection. Just a couple of days ago, I was driving my son to school. I do what I normally do, which is hesitate at the light. It really was a good thing. My light had been green for a few seconds, I saw a car approaching. The car did not hesitate and did not stop. I proceeded to the next intersection. I watched as the light turned to yellow and then red. The car which had just ran the last red light continued on through the intersection running a red light. Now that's why you hesitate.......

7. profile image0
    Kieran Gracieposted 12 years ago

I was in a taxi in Rome a few years ago.  Noticing that we tended to cross every intersection when the lights were red, and wanting to arrive at my hotel in one piece, I asked the driver to explain his tactics.  In somewhat broken English he told me that, in Italy, you must drive when the lights are red and stop when they are green!

8. wedmed profile image61
    wedmedposted 12 years ago

Hey guys, where is you tolerance? Huh? Sometimes human factor plays an important role. That is why be patient if someone is not taking off right away.

9. Dexter Yarbrough profile image69
    Dexter Yarbroughposted 12 years ago

Some people can't multitask! It's hard for some people to step on the accelerator AND pick your nose at the same time!

1. Laura Schneider profile image85
      Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I laughed out loud at this answer! Funny, Dexter Yarbrough!

10. sangre profile image93
    sangreposted 12 years ago

Usually they are on the phone or in their own little world. It does get annoying after the first few times.

11. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 12 years ago

I hate it too......the further south you go the worst it gets.  People just sit there like they want to enjoy the moment of waiting on a red light over and over again #Just Bored with nothing else better to do... I had to edit my comment after reading some of the other comments.  Most people are making excuses for sitting at the light a bit longer just to justify how inconsiderate they are.  People tend to do that rather than see how it can annoy someone else.  Ya just gotta love people.......

12. stephaniedas profile image71
    stephaniedasposted 12 years ago

Well, here's one possibility- I drive a very old car, and when I decide to "go", the car needs a few minutes to process this. It also takes about 5 seconds, once I start going, to get up to the speed limit. Trust me, it annoys me like crazy!

13. kynthia2374 profile image61
    kynthia2374posted 12 years ago

Because not everyone has an ego that needs to be first.

Besides...  you waste more gas when you "step on it".

14. bambamnpebbles profile image60
    bambamnpebblesposted 12 years ago

Hahahahahaha! Oh my gosh, I don't have an answer. In fact....I think I am just agreeing with the question! Good one.

15. Laura Schneider profile image85
    Laura Schneiderposted 10 years ago

I'm waiting to make sure traffic crosswise is stopped/stopping before I go. And, I have a manual transmission car so I don't simply floor it and waste gas at every light racing to be the first to the next light. I NEVER text/cell and drive, but sometimes still one does distracting things at the safety of a stoplight that are necessary for the trip one is taking (rather than doing them while driving)--like changing radio stations or climate controls.

Cloudrider, this is a good question, but please be tolerant rather than peeved or annoyed--of especially the person at the front of the light. They have to make sure the way is clear before they can go. Sometimes the angle of the light makes it difficult to see, also, depending on the sun.

And, yesterday, I took the opportunity at a long light to make sure that my elderly step-mother was still buckled in safely at a stoplight (she's known for 'accidentally' taking off her seatbelt), and was honked at for it but I make no apologies (there was no convenient place to stop, and I didn't want to offend her dignity, either, by letting her know what I was really fumbling in the backseat about for 2 seconds). Being only a second slow on the uptake, all cars got through the light on time, by the way.

Usually I'm just careful to make sure that cross traffic has stopped or is definitely going to stop, not wanting an accident. Lots of people run red/yellow lights (I call those "orange" lights) where I live, heedless of the consequences.

16. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

Daydreaming or hooked up with conversation over the phone. Always happen to here in Malaysia

17. profile image50
    Trehposted 7 years ago

Why are people impatient aholes sometimes? I can't tell you how annoying it is to get hooked at by the car behind you as you're simultaneously stepping on the gas. I'm a young guy, I have quick reflexes and I put my foot on the accelerator within about a second of the light turning green but I guess that's not enough for some people. Learn some patience. People with manual transmissions also have to put their car from neutral to 1st and depress/release the clutch and that takes another half second so please don't be so dumb and just learn to wait one second

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)