Should advertising food on television be banned?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Chasing Riley profile image84
    Chasing Rileyposted 12 years ago

Should advertising food on television be banned?

In a society where obesity is costing America $147 billion, why is it ok to advertise a juicy burger on television that makes people with the best intentions go off their diets but it's not ok to advertise hard alcohol?

2. DonDWest profile image72
    DonDWestposted 12 years ago

Are they forcing you at gun point to eat that juicy burger?

Take some personal responsibility, or better yet, shut off your television.

3. baygirl33 profile image57
    baygirl33posted 12 years ago

One reason would be that there are many poor children watching,who are hungry and can only be longing for things they can't have.

4. NorthEast Timber profile image60
    NorthEast Timberposted 12 years ago

Hey, I know, let's not advertise anything that might tempt someone.  No ads for cars people can't afford, might make the poor feel inadequate, how about no ads for make-up,might hurt some ugly person's feelings, wait maybe no ads for stores of any kind so no one buys something they don't need or can't afford.

Where do you stop?  Kinda discriminating if you only pull the ads for fattening foods when there are ads for all those other things isn't it?  The purpose of advertising is to get people to buy things you don't need.  If you need it you'll buy it anyway, so no need to advertise, right?  Why is food so much worse than those others?

If you want to help cure obesity quit giving people disability money so they can just stay home and eat more.  Make them pay for their own medical care. Free medical care shouldn't be for self inflicted issues.  You don't work, you don't eat.   Best cure for obesity on the planet there is.

5. OldSkoolFool profile image60
    OldSkoolFoolposted 12 years ago

While it is true, every commercial is assaulting our ability to be content, the commercial is not the problem. It should be up to us to realize the burger wont make us happy, and ultimately kill us.

6. profile image0
    HERBERT ubaldoposted 12 years ago

No, as long as approved by the food authority.

7. OutsideTheLines profile image60
    OutsideTheLinesposted 12 years ago

If they're going to advertise McDonald's they might as well advertise methamphetamine. They both hurt your body equally. The latter is just more apparent. I think people just need to have more responsibility with their food choices so I'm going to vote that it should not be banned

8. Just Ask Susan profile image89
    Just Ask Susanposted 12 years ago

I see alcohol advertised on TV all the time. I think everyone has the right to advertise. If they take away the food advertising then I think they should take away the advertising for those adds they show for online dating and phone sex.

9. plinka profile image54
    plinkaposted 12 years ago

I'm afraid, advertising is not a moral question.

10. Chasing Riley profile image84
    Chasing Rileyposted 12 years ago

I love all of your answers but I'm wondering if anyone is worried about the cost to each of us from the $147 billion cost to our health care system. We all pay that cost. Advertisers make money on making people fat. It just seems that the money they make comes at a detriment to all of us. I understand that some people genetically have weight problems but I also know that obesity in the United States is at an all time high. Does anyone else feel that food companies, alcohol companies, cigarette companies make money at our expense even if we don't partake in the activities they advertise? FYI - I know that realistically, we will never see food advertising be banned. It's just ironic to me that cigarettes and hard alcohol (I think) are banned from television. What would be the rationalization for that?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)