What is your view on the Occupy Wall Street Movement?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Zubair Ahmed profile image75
    Zubair Ahmedposted 12 years ago

What is your view on the Occupy Wall Street Movement?

Do you think it is going to result in any change in the social, political and economic system in the US or are they wasting time?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5785750_f260.jpg

2. onlinearticlespk profile image56
    onlinearticlespkposted 12 years ago

It is the Phase of Arab Spring in West.People are now against the capitalism Policies and want a new change.

3. Faceless39 profile image92
    Faceless39posted 12 years ago

I'm still supportive of the heart of the movement.  However, I'm beginning to believe it's yet another false flag thrown out there by the government.  This will allow them, perhaps, to enact stricter, more fascist laws regarding public protests, etc.  We're pissed off, and rightly so, but much like Anonymous, I get the feeling this will open the doors to more fascist "laws."

4. Petra Vlah profile image59
    Petra Vlahposted 12 years ago

Hard for me to believe that people who answered this question do not understand that the media is manipulating the situation to please their sponsors (big business and powerful corporations), the same ones that created the problems in the first place.
    The "indipendent" media will pic and chose inteviews and answers that serve their goal to discredit the movement

5. cyoung35 profile image81
    cyoung35posted 12 years ago

It may send a message to the government to create more jobs. When these people that are protesting had jobs everything was exactly the same as it is today but there was no protesting. Why now? Because people are out of work and money and they are frustrated. They have some valid points but most don't even know why they are protesting. This is something I observed when they were questioning the protesters and they had no clue how to answer the question of how is protesting going to create more jobs.

6. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

The movement seems to be because people are upset. However, every time I attempt to understand why they are upset or what they want, I get different intakes. And I have become frustrated with the media and movement because every video is different. I tried watching the news to figure out what they wanted, yet I became more confused. Then I went to youtube and researched all of the videos and still get different results each time. There is no organization, no common goals, and a lack of responsibility.
    One of the women with a sign stood there talking to the camera saying she wanted her rights. The rights she explained were "food and clothes".... What happened in Jamestown, honey? If you do not work, you do not eat. Standing on the sidewalk is not working, so you do not eat.
    And if you want a job, go to a different location for a job or settle for something different. I live in Houston, Texas and there are new stores opening here because there are so many people coming here for jobs. There are always positions everywhere. I'm 19 and was offered a position as a kitchen manager at the corner Taco Bell/Pizza Hut!!! There are jobs out there, you just have to know where to look.

7. danielleantosz profile image74
    danielleantoszposted 12 years ago

I like the idea of the movement, which I see as the "little" people against the large, often greedy corporations.  I have yet to see any real action from the movement other than "We're not going to take this!"  Great, now whats the plan? I will say it is new, and hopefully they will find direction.

8. peterxdunn profile image59
    peterxdunnposted 12 years ago

People - all over the planet - are waking up to the fact that democratic freedom: as it is constituted at the moment, is a sham; an illusion. We elect politicians to enact laws on our behalf but once in power they only act on behalf of the banks and corporations.

Look at what is happening in Europe. Greece has a new: unelected, prime minister - a banker. Italy has a new: unelected, prime minister - a banker. We have witnessed the collapse of the banking system and the subsequent bail outs that have cost taxpayers trillions. We are in debt because of the banks. And yet the banks are seeking direct control over national economies.

So what is going on here? The banks first cause a massive problem with the world economy and then offer a solution to that problem: give us direct control. This is a takeover by the banks. What 'freedom' you think you have is going to evaporate altogether.

So do not knock the Occupy Wall Street movement. If you value your freedom - get out there and join it.

9. Born2care2001 profile image72
    Born2care2001posted 12 years ago

I guess we just forgot!

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." - Declaration of Independence

The answer will always be at the ballot box, demonstrating the will of the people and that which is within each individual; not in rhetoric, not in violence, but only in the consent of the governed.

We give our unalienable rights and our power away each November and every day we fail to think and act in our collective best interest!

It would seem to me that we have more choices than rights. One has consequences, one responsibilities. The decision to understand them belong to each of us.

10. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 12 years ago

I think taking on Wall Street is of secondary importance right now. The national security apparatus is destroying us far more than the crooked bankers in New York. Goal #1 should be a massive reduction in military spending and a military withdrawal from all non-US territories. Once we are a peacetime nation again with a peactime economy, we can start having all the progressive campaigns against Wall Street that we want.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)