What do you do when you are depressed?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)
  1. shwetha123 profile image60
    shwetha123posted 12 years ago

What do you do when you are depressed?

2. HarryMcG profile image59
    HarryMcGposted 12 years ago

Try to relax as much as possible. Talk to someone about it and keep busy.

3. The Blagsmith profile image70
    The Blagsmithposted 12 years ago

It depends on how much of a grip it has on me. Sometimes I write it out. Sometimes I seek leisure. Sometimes it draws to me an oblivious state of apathy.

However, mostly, I try to work to shake it off and this often works.

4. athena2011 profile image57
    athena2011posted 12 years ago

I try to distract myself by doing something positive such as working out or listening to music or watching a funny show on television. America's Funniest Videos is very helpful for depression. Give it a try. Hope it helps.

5. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

Watch tv, not eat, and remain away from everyone. Just basically keep to myself.

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

Sometimes I write but most often I just hang on.  Even when things seem black and overwhelming, I know it will pass eventually.  My depression is fairly mild, more of a Dysthymia the severe depression.  If it last too long I go see someone.

7. Adalie profile image58
    Adalieposted 12 years ago

I try not to think about whatever it is that is making me feel blue. In other words, I think about something positive or focus on a future goal instead of giving more energy to my depressing thoughts.

8. The-BestMouseTrap profile image82
    The-BestMouseTrapposted 12 years ago

It's hard to not think about it, so I just face it head on.  I take a  long look in the mirror and look deep in my eyes.  Those eyes starring back at me make me think of other people who are worse off than me. Do some deep breathing, watch a movie, go journal,or  do something craftsy (i make some weird art at those times!), or go read about whats bothering me.  And if it went on for more than a day, I'd talk to someone.  And then if more than a week, I'd call the Doc.  Sometimes its not mental, it could be a physical ailment causing a mental ailment, somatic. No drinking or partying, that makes it worse.

9. smohr profile image60
    smohrposted 12 years ago

For me, depression can be extreme. It can take me to very dark places sometimes. Now that I have a son, I don't let it grab a hold of me as I did before. A friend of mine, who was also a depressed man told me the best thing to do when you feel depressed is find a hobby that will take your mind off of it. I tried many different things until I found one that worked and it helps tremendously! Find what works for you, it might take a few things to try before you find it, but when you find a hobby that will work for you and take your mind off the depression you will feel much better more often.

10. missbritt08 profile image60
    missbritt08posted 12 years ago

For me I have noticed surrounding yourself around the ones you love helps the most. There have been plenty of times where I didn't/couldn't get out of bed but then I finally drug myself out saw my friends and I felt better. I know it's hard but don't let yourself stay in bed all the time. It only drags you down deeper. You can also try writing. That one is difficult for me because I always tell myself it wont help. You can also try volunteering somewhere. Not only would you be helping others but you would be helping yourself. I hope this helps. I also wrote a hub about this and there is a link to some phone numbers if you need someone to talk to.

11. nifwlseirff profile image93
    nifwlseirffposted 12 years ago

I have a range of things I try to help pull me up out of the depths. Trying to relax, talking and keeping busy are the main options for me. Some of the things I do include:

- talk to friends and family.
    - listening to music. It may be heavy, or classical, or songs I can sing along to.
    - watching a series. Something science fiction or anime, that I can lose myself in.
    - playing a game. A role playing game, with a complex story to lose myself in.
    - reading. It's a pattern, I read to lose myself in the story. Or read various self-improvement, zen, or supportive blogs.
    - work on my website or write, intensively (losing myself in work).
    - cook for a week's or month's worth of dinners. A marathon cooking session takes a lot out of me, but I feel accomplished when I've finished.
    - a long walk or hike, preferably through the hills, away from houses and roads.
    - exercise. Tai chi, yoga and stretching to relax. Or I find someone I can whack with a shinai (sword) for releasing anger.
    - rearrange the furniture.
    - sew or cross stitch - both take a lot of concentration, and accomplish something.
    - play piano. I try to play for hours without focusing on mistakes, to tire myself out.
    - get a massage or take a bath. Much of my depression is caused by pain, massage and baths help with both pain and depression.
    - sleep long.
    - journal. Writing about what I feel can help, but sometimes it can make me feel worse, so I need to be careful with this one.

12. maxravi profile image44
    maxraviposted 12 years ago

Talk to my friends, and just watch some old comedy movies or serials,It make me to  feel relax and make me to laugh.

13. prettylittlewhims profile image60
    prettylittlewhimsposted 12 years ago

exercise...

Reese Witherspoon's Legally Blonde Line  is a real winner.

"Exercise produces endorphins. Endorphin makes you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands. "

14. schoolgirlforreal profile image80
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

1. call people
    2. consult my list of coping skills
    3. listen to really loud music
    4. exercise
    5. pray

15. LoveLikeASunset profile image61
    LoveLikeASunsetposted 12 years ago

I remind myself of how lucky I am to have loving friends and family who care about me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)