Have mobile phones set us free, or set us in chains?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. dadibobs profile image58
    dadibobsposted 12 years ago

Have mobile phones set us free, or set us in chains?

I remember the freedom of being out of the house, with no form of contact available and feeling liberated, but on the other hand I have used a mobile in an emergency. what do you think?

2. Beata Stasak profile image77
    Beata Stasakposted 12 years ago

It is just another tool of communication...it is up to us how we use it or misuse it:)

3. dadibobs profile image58
    dadibobsposted 12 years ago

I would tend to agree with you. I find a mobile phone is useful if i need to use it, but sometimes i feel like it should only be used for outgoing calls. Maybe that is a reflection of  my life rather than the phone itself.
    thanks for responding. smile

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 12 years ago

I'm with you, dadibobs. It is now taken for granted that everyone will always be accessible, as if they were Henry Kissinger and needed to be reached for the launch codes. That's consumerism for us. A lot of middle class in the US are in debt, max out their accounts, and are working multiple jobs just to keep up with bills and purchases of certain items that did not exist 20 years ago. I don't think cell phones, home internet, movie streaming, dish tv, ipads, electronic readers, satellite radio, home theatres, expensive cars with GPS navigation, etc, should have ever been intended for anyone but the wealthy. But thanks to successful marketing campaigns, the middle class has become the gadget culture; obsessed and fascinated with new technologies that become obsolete (or broken) after a year. Meanwhile, these people are increasingly missing out on anything that brings richness into their lives.

5. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 12 years ago

Degas was at a friend's house for diner.  The friend had recently had one of these  new fangled telephones fitted and had arranged for another friend to ring him whilst the artist was there.  The phone duly rang and Dega's friend rushed to answer it, when finished, he appologised to Degas to which Degas replied,
    'it rang, you ran.'
    Does that answer the question?  I have a mobile phone it is never switched on unless I need to use it if the car, say, breaks down, or some other emergency, I never turn it on so others can contact me.

6. Rehana Stormme profile image72
    Rehana Stormmeposted 12 years ago

Maybe we would have more peace of mind without mobile phones? I'm always on my phone, usually tweeting or surfing and I use most of my spare time (while traveling or waiting for someone) on my phone. At the end of the day, I realize I haven't had any 'me-time' or any time by myself. This happens to so many people and they realize that in the long term, they have lost touch with their true selves and one of the contributions is their mobile phones, along with the complimentary TV watching and mindless eating.

But at the same time, I can't count how many times my mobile phone has eased my life. Cellphones have helped us to keep in touch with our friends and family, where as in the past we used to use messengers or letters by post. (It's ironic though, that even with easier technological access to our family and relatives, families are only breaking apart and familial ties are getting more and more strained, but I digress).

At the end of the day, just as Beata Stasak said, the mobile phone is just another tool - it's up to us how we use it....Just like a knife - it can be used for good, e.g. chopping veggies to make a family meal - or it can be used for evil, e.g. murder.

Most people these days, however, like to complain about how technology has complicated life. I'll get back to tweeting now lol big_smile

7. DanielNeff profile image61
    DanielNeffposted 12 years ago

I think the degree to which it sets us in chains depends on us.
    You don't have to answer the phone when it rings. You can let the person leave a voice mail, and check it at your leisure.
    Of course, as long as you aren't going to be out too long and you don't have an invalid dependent upon you or have a job where it is vital you can be reached...you can "forget" your cell phone when you leave the house.

8. MazioCreate profile image68
    MazioCreateposted 12 years ago

Great question and for me it is both. When you have a work mobile phone then you contactable 24/7. My manager wanted me to go down this road, but I pointed out he already had my number on speed dial so what was the point.  I have to say the number of times I was phoned or received text messages on my days off was astounding.  On the other hand though, being able to contact my partner when out riding and give an ETA for the coffee shop makes it all worth while. I also love the ease you can contact family and friends for a quick hello or to arrange a get together, no matter where you are. Love it and hate it at the same time, but don't go anywhere without it.

9. xethonxq profile image66
    xethonxqposted 12 years ago

For me, mobile phones are a convenience when I'm in work mode, but when I'm in home mode I'd just rather leave them turned off. It's annoying when all I want to do is spend time with my family and rejuvenate for a little bit and the darn thing begins buzzing. I'm working on trying to get into the habit of automatically turning it off when I get home.

10. rajan jolly profile image93
    rajan jollyposted 12 years ago

It's a combination of both. We are free because we can choose not to answer a call and go do what we are doing. Put it on silent when we don't want to be disturbed. In times of need we have it right where we need it .. with us.
    In chains, because we are so used to it in present times that we sometimes are multitasking on a cell phone esp on a smart phone and have to keep it with us all the time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)