Do you get nervous when speaking in front of others?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)
  1. YvetteParker profile image62
    YvetteParkerposted 12 years ago

Do you get nervous when speaking in front of others?

2. Ri Masincupp profile image70
    Ri Masincuppposted 12 years ago

Yes, when I give a speech but not in just everyday conversations.  I get nervous when more than four people are paying attention to what I'm saying at the same time.  I find that it helps not to look anyone in the audience directly in the eye but to definitely look around the whole span of people.  Also, it helps to speak slower than I feel the urge to.  When a lot of people are paying attention, I want to get it over with so I want to rush through what I'm saying but I fight that urge because its more important for those people to understand what I'm saying.  Another big thing is breathing.  I have to make a conscious effort to pace my breathing.  That goes hand in hand with not rushing through what I'm saying.

3. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

No. The first time was unexpected: on a sales call, I got ushered into an auditorium where several dozen people were waiting. I had to do an off the cuff presentation, with no chance to be scared.

More recently I spoke to over 4,000 people, almost half strongly disliking what I had to say.  I was a little apprehensive before speaking, but it was short - a single double spaced page, so it didn't take long.  In a way it was easier knowing that so many would automatically dislike me - there was nothing I could do to change that, so nothing to be nervous about.

4. profile image0
    Rob Bellposted 12 years ago

What Ri says is right. Take your time. Don't rush.

Nerves can cause a lack of breath. If you feel this happening the secret is to say a sentence, pause, breath in, breath out, then say another sentence. If you can say one sentence you can say a hundred one at a time.

There is nothing wrong with feeling nervous, but it is wrong to let your nerves get the better of you.

5. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 12 years ago

I am now one of those people who, given time to prepare a speech, or being asked to present a speech or story I've told many times before, absolutely love to do so.  I love it.   To me it is now one of life's pleasures.  For example, this year I am looking forward to speaking for forty-five minutes to an audience of 700 people.   Over the past 30 years I've probably given a thousand presentations and spoken before 45,000 people.

It was not always the case.  The first time I had to present a speech I was terrified.   Spoiled not only that day for me but quite a few leading up to it.  Then I joined a Toastmaster Club.  Yes, I was still frightened to the point it took me twenty minutes to get out of my car and walk the short distance to the venue.

But then came the encouragement, the positive feedback and the mentoring for those who had been through what I was now experiencing.

The point I make is this.   Take the risk!   Keep taking it!   Keep on going until one day you realize that, although you might be a little nervous at the very beginning of that presentation (this is common even with experienced speakers) you are now proud of what you can do.  Then keep on keeping on.

Every now and again you will sort of take a 'quantum leap' in improvement.  One does not always rise steadily, but plateus for a while, then another quick rise, then another plateau.  Then up you go again.   It is like any skill.  Application, practice, that is what is required.   And then one day you, too, will look forward to the opportunity to speak in front of others.

1. profile image49
      Alisha Murphyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree...Speaking in front of people can be practiced and can even make you feel good about yourself. Unfortunately it’s not that easy for me as it seems to be for you, Tusitala Tom. For some month now I am taking lessons to improve my prese

6. YvetteParker profile image62
    YvetteParkerposted 12 years ago

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful answers. I just hope I remember them the next time I'm called on to speak!! All jokes aside, the tips and suggestions are all practical and doable; so again, thank you! Tom, I so look forward to the day when I will love speaking before an audience. Not there yet!

7. rhemajoy profile image60
    rhemajoyposted 12 years ago

Not really, I think what I experience is more of an adrenaline rush.  I love public speaking.  I always have.  One of my favorite classes was speech.  I love to lead conferences, meetings, public speaking events, etc..  It's what I do.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)